Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 03:08 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 03:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65773 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Tomorrow if not 700+, is 750 possible in 4 weeks? [#permalink]
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Are your Aristotle RC/SC documents helping you push your score up?

SC theory part is just OK. It was good to recap while keeping MGMAT SC by my side. This exercise helped me realize that it was the tenses that have been the real problem for me. So that way Aristotle SC was good for me. I have not started their questions yet. I will let you know when I get to it. It is a small book and a good recap - it took me 1 weekend day to go over the theory part of the book.

RC is simply awesome. I have been doing 2 everyday and it has given a great boost to my confidence. I don't think I will get to all 99, but if I can finish 50% by the test date, it would be great. I highly recommend this book.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Hi abhicoolmax,

You have awesome Quant scores - make sure to keep brushing up to stay at that level.

For Verbal, what I completely missed in your posts is your analysis of MGMAT CAT results for Verbal section. As you may already know, accuracy is not of primary importance in GMAT (what I mean is that it is important but it cannot alone guide you about your weakness and areas to develop). I would suggest if you have not focussed on analyzing your verbal score, pls do that and share that with us. A good article on how to analyze is: https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

For all three areas: SC, CR and RC you should share accuracy along with the difficulty level of questions you got correct vs. incorrect. For example, an accuracy of 45% in SC with getting 730 level questions correct is great - this is a strength. But an accuracy of 70% with getting 670 level questions correct is not a strength (if you are aiming for 750) - it is an area of improvement. Hope this helps - I learned all this during this week while analyzing my first MGMAT CAT scores.

And as a side note, can you share some tips on Quant? What sources you used? I'd be happy with a Q50 :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
vinayrsm wrote:
Hi abhicoolmax,

You have awesome Quant scores - make sure to keep brushing up to stay at that level.

And as a side note, can you share some tips on Quant? What sources you used? I'd be happy with a Q50 :roll:

Probably you did not pay attention to his profile (IIT Bombay with 9+ CGPI)- does not it tells you something about him ?

on a side note if you are still wondering what I mean then please let me know :wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hi yogesh, yes I did notice that after a few posts :) but then again assuming IITian will naturally have high quant score w/o practice would be an assumption (perhaps a reasonable one), these two variables maybe correlated but not necessarily causal :lol: hehe.. applying CR skills here. I am myself IIT alum (BTech from IIT Kanpur) though I graduated 10 yrs ago. and as you know as well IIT Maths is poles apart from GMAT Maths, CAT (tests to get into Indian management schools IIMs) quant is similar to GMAT. I reason I asked Abhi is that any tip is useful and sometimes people scoring Q51 do have very insightful tips.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
vinayrsm wrote:
hi yogesh, yes I did notice that after a few posts :) but then again assuming IITian will naturally have high quant score w/o practice would be an assumption (perhaps a reasonable one), these two variables maybe correlated but not necessarily causal :lol: hehe.. applying CR skills here. I am myself IIT alum (BTech from IIT Kanpur) though I graduated 10 yrs ago. and as you know as well IIT Maths is poles apart from GMAT Maths, CAT (tests to get into Indian management schools IIMs) quant is similar to GMAT. I reason I asked Abhi is that any tip is useful and sometimes people scoring Q51 do have very insightful tips.

He he... lot of folks from brand IIT out here..good to see :). Keeping aside you are right being an IITian does not give you by default a high score in quant- no second option than to practice hard!

Also on comparison of IIT maths to GMAT math, CAT quant- yeah you are right they are quite different but just want to add CAT quant is quite difficult than GMAT quant IMO!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
vinayrsm wrote:
Hi abhicoolmax,

For Verbal, what I completely missed in your posts is your analysis of MGMAT CAT results for Verbal section. As you may already know, accuracy is not of primary importance in GMAT (what I mean is that it is important but it cannot alone guide you about your weakness and areas to develop). I would suggest if you have not focussed on analyzing your verbal score, pls do that and share that with us. A good article on how to analyze is: https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

For all three areas: SC, CR and RC you should share accuracy along with the difficulty level of questions you got correct vs. incorrect. For example, an accuracy of 45% in SC with getting 730 level questions correct is great - this is a strength. But an accuracy of 70% with getting 670 level questions correct is not a strength (if you are aiming for 750) - it is an area of improvement. Hope this helps - I learned all this during this week while analyzing my first MGMAT CAT scores.

Hi vinayrsm,

Thanks for sharing the link that shows how to do the MGMAT CAT analysis.

I finally did an analysis of my last test. My accuracy rate was:
Ques Total Right Wrong % Time-right Time-wrong Difficulty-right Difficulty-wrong
SC 15 8 7 0 53% 0:54 1:26 620 720
CR 14 10 4 0 71% 1:55 2:31 660 650
RC 12 6 6 0 50% 2:49 1:53 650 650

I got many difficult SC wrong. In CR I did some silly mistakes. In RC I think I am much better off right now than I was when I gave this test. Anyhow, let's see how my next test goes.

Further low level analysis did help me even more. I realized I am getting more of Assumption question wrong in CR and also helped me realize weaknesses in SC.

About tips for Quant. Man, trust me, I have hardly spent any time working on my Quant skills; however, I feel sharper in Quant than I was when I started. Just a couple of tips from me: During the test if you realize that you are taking too long, it is good quickly look at the answer choices to find cluesCA. Sometimes there is clue in the answers that help you solve more complicated problems. And in DS, it is very important to read the stimulus and come up with a simplified version of the stimulus: GMAT plays trick with many thing: positive integers, NOT telling whether the number is fraction or integer, etc. Only when you are sure about what's asked in the Stimulus, then evaluate the choices. In some of the MGMAT tests I got few DS wrong, because I made wrong assumptions. And then I realized, I need to be extra careful with DS.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Abhi, good that you analyzed your results using the article from MGMAT blog.

As you stated, it looks like you need to focus on SC, RC and CR in that order (and you have already worked on these :-) ) I think your first target should be to ensure that you get 600-700 level questions correct in all three areas. This will allow you to get to the higher difficulty questions and will raise your score.

Good luck for your next test!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
vinayrsm wrote:
Hi Abhi, good that you analyzed your results using the article from MGMAT blog.

As you stated, it looks like you need to focus on SC, RC and CR in that order (and you have already worked on these :-) ) I think your first target should be to ensure that you get 600-700 level questions correct in all three areas. This will allow you to get to the higher difficulty questions and will raise your score.

Good luck for your next test!

Thanks vinayrsm. I really hope in the next test (GMATPrep) I get past 720, which would give me the confidence that in next 4 weeks or so I can boost my score to 750 or even more :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey Karishma,

In error-log-verbal-help-needed-116330.html#p940900 , you said CR and RC in OG12 and OG Verbal are not par with high scoring questions in GMAT, is that true? I have 80+% accuracy in CR medium and hard level < 2 mins, and 90+% accuracy in easy ones < 1.5 mins. I have been considering my CR has improved based on these stats. If you think I should doubt these stats, what should I take up next? I was planning on using Aristotle CR set next.

I still not fully comfortable with hard RC. My mid-hard RC accuracy has been ~50-60% in OG12 and OG verbal so-far. I still have few passages to go in each. I did some Aristotle RCs but then I stopped as I was not sure of their GMAT-likeness. What else would you recommend?

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65773 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhicoolmax wrote:
Hey Karishma,

In error-log-verbal-help-needed-116330.html#p940900 , you said CR and RC in OG12 and OG Verbal are not par with high scoring questions in GMAT, is that true? I have 80+% accuracy in CR medium and hard level < 2 mins, and 90+% accuracy in easy ones < 1.5 mins. I have been considering my CR has improved based on these stats. If you think I should doubt these stats, what should I take up next? I was planning on using Aristotle CR set next.

I still not fully comfortable with hard RC. My mid-hard RC accuracy has been ~50-60% in OG12 and OG verbal so-far. I still have few passages to go in each. I did some Aristotle RCs but then I stopped as I was not sure of their GMAT-likeness. What else would you recommend?

Thanks.

Yes, my opinion on the difficulty level of OG hasn't changed. Especially CR I think is way easier in OG. The questions at the end are good but still, much more practice is needed. For RC too, extra practice is a must. I cannot comment on Aristotle CR and RC since I haven't gone through those books. But I know that Veritas RC and CR books have some great strategies and questions. I especially love the RC book since it has passages in line with the hardest passages you could see on GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
I think you summed up the situation pretty well. Man, my RC accuracy improved to 50% (from ~25% in previous test) and CR improved to 80% (from ~30%),

Hi Abhi,

I was reading this thread and given to understand that your CR accuracy jumped from 30% to 80%...thats huge. :) Can you give me some suggestion for the same?

How is your RC going? I understand it was problematic for you. Do you've some strategy fo that as well?

I'm also writing GMAT on 15th Sept and still struggling with my CR and RC.
Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Aj.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ajay369 wrote:
I think you summed up the situation pretty well. Man, my RC accuracy improved to 50% (from ~25% in previous test) and CR improved to 80% (from ~30%),

Hi Abhi,

I was reading this thread and given to understand that your CR accuracy jumped from 30% to 80%...thats huge. :) Can you give me some suggestion for the same?

How is your RC going? I understand it was problematic for you. Do you've some strategy fo that as well?

I'm also writing GMAT on 15th Sept and still struggling with my CR and RC.
Appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Aj.

I think I was in your situation few weeks ago. When I thought my SC is good, and CR and RC, mainly RC, are killing me.

So I devoted 1 full week on RC - read Powerscore RC and did some RCs from OG - and, in the mean time and from before, I had been going through Powerscore CR, and guess what - my RC and CR accuracy went up tremendously. RC is now my strength. Check here on how I did it - rc-review-tips-117426.html#p962206

In my last couple of tests I realized that I am getting most RC and CR correct, but, as a result, I was getting TOUGH SCs in the tests and, guess what, I realized my SC skills are complete f'ed up. I just didn't know what I was doing. I didn't think I could overcome the SC just like that.

So I started with a short crash course on E-GMAT and that finally was the last missing piece of the puzzle. Check here on how I did it - need-help-in-sc-119050.html#p963453

CR was pretty natural for me since the beginning. But once I got myself familiar with all the parts of CR using Powerscore CR book, everything fell into place.

NOW, I think, I have the perfect strategy that suits my skills - as it varies person to person - for RC, CR and SC in place. How could you tell if a strategy is perfect for you? You will start to feel it, and EVERYTHING will start making sense - moreover, you will start to enjoy it more than anything. I just have to practice now to concretize these strategies and to perform under the time pressure. Well will see if these strategies will actually work - I will give a mock in 2 days to evaluate where I am.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by abhicoolmax on 20 Aug 2011, 11:57.
Last edited by abhicoolmax on 20 Aug 2011, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Thanks a lot Abhi.
I'll try to follow your advice and see if it works for me.

Cheers,
Aj.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2