Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I submitted my J-Term app a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything yet. If I don't get into CBS I'm going to start another program in September. I'm cutting it close time-wise so I kind of need an answer ASAP.

Will it affect my chances if I contact Columbia and let them know I need a final answer by mid-August? What is the best way to go about doing this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nyc1364 wrote:
I submitted my J-Term app a few weeks ago and still haven't heard anything yet. If I don't get into CBS I'm going to start another program in September. I'm cutting it close time-wise so I kind of need an answer ASAP.

Will it affect my chances if I contact Columbia and let them know I need a final answer by mid-August? What is the best way to go about doing this?

Hey, I ran across this, 3rd post down: https://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... w-bschools

It's a post from the CBS Adcom regarding the request for an expedited decision given a situation somewhat similar to yours.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [3]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys,

I am from India and had attended the information session at The Claridges Hotel in New Delhi yesterday. Thought I'd put across my thoughts on the experience I had

It was a fantastic session. I attended Wharton's in Delhi last month which was disastrous and between Wharton and Columbia, as I wish to apply to one 'Finance' school, Columbia would definitely be my preferred choice. Just to clarify that this decision is not based on the 'quality' of the session's logistics (eg: venue, accessibility etc.) but the 'quality' of the experience overall. Wharton had lousy alumni and hosted their session in a very downtrodden venue and it was COMPLETELY opposite for Columbia. There were 2 alumni from Columbia who were present for the session and one of them was completely outstanding - I mean you could hear him and feel the kind of difference a world class MBA makes to you. Further, answers from the admissions representative Jenniffer LaRusso, and the alumni were excellent! No meandering responses and very candid. My biggest apprehension about Columbia was how it is more of a commuter school, but the alumni (the guy I mentioned above who was very impressive) answered them really well and addressed concerns. The other alumn came from a family business background and took the J Term, so helpful to have an alumni from both type of full time offerings at Columbia.

Jenniffer explained very well about the rolling admissions process, the fact that if the adcom feels you need to be evaluated against a larger pool, how they shift your application from ED to regular, also about the waitlist and all other aspects of admissions. The crowd that came for the session was much better well informed and very smartly turned out. Saw many folks coming in dressed in business attire (I went in business formals straight from office) unlike Wharton where most looked like they had bunked an engineering class at an Indian engineering college. Dressing isn't really a concern area as such, but it does look nice if you come prepared in semi formals atleast, especially when the session is being held at a prominent 5 star hotel in the heart of Delhi for one of the world's best business schools.

All in all 1. Highly Informative 2. Well Conducted 3. Excellent alumni interaction 4. Gave me much much more confidence about Columbia as a target school
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
str1der,

please update the first post for CBS's essays and requirements.
Please add some additional data, like class profile, CBS's strenghts, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
str1der,

please update the first post for CBS's essays and requirements.
Please add some additional data, like class profile, CBS's strenghts, etc.

Done - thanks for the reminder
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tiggy wrote:
I got my interview invite for J-Term today!

Anyone know where to find CBS-specific interview tips?

Thanks.

have you been interviewed? my interview report was turned in on July 14th, still waiting ,finger crossed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nimabi wrote:
tiggy wrote:

Thanks.

have you been interviewed? my interview report was turned in on July 14th, still waiting ,finger crossed

Good luck! Was this for J-term?

How long was your app under review before you received the interview invite?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I submitted my J-term application on 5/21 and it went under review appox. 6/2. I received my interview invite 7/7 and my application went complete on 7/18. Now I have all my fingers crossed.

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of interviewed canidates get accepted? My interview went extremely well, in fact my interviewer even gave me additional tips on how to strengthen my probability of acceptance.

Overall I am delighted to be at this late stage of the admissions process, but the anxiety of waiting is really tough!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
miambaprosp wrote:
I submitted my J-term application on 5/21 and it went under review appox. 6/2. I received my interview invite 7/7 and my application went complete on 7/18. Now I have all my fingers crossed.

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of interviewed canidates get accepted? My interview went extremely well, in fact my interviewer even gave me additional tips on how to strengthen my probability of acceptance.

Overall I am delighted to be at this late stage of the admissions process, but the anxiety of waiting is really tough!

Thanks for the information! I submitted my ED app last Saturday and it went 'under review' just a couple days later. I'm hoping that I submitted early enough to have a decision by the end of August.

As far as the percentage of interviewed candidates that get accepted...

I'm not really sure, but I suspect it is quite high. If you look at last year's GMAT club CBS thread, you'll see that the good majority of people who were invited to interviews were accepted. Now, there's of course more incentive for people to update the spreadsheet if the ultimate decision was positive. But still, the majority of people who updated the roll call to post their interview invite date came back at a later date to post positive results.

and btw, you should update your profile. It will automatically add you to the new roll call on page 1!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
We are thinking along the same lines with regards to last year's applicants. When I first looked at the roll call the data seems to suggest that the percentage is astronomical, but when you look at all the applicants that did not submit an update of final decision it makes you think that most that get dinged do not update. I combed the internet looking for an approx. percentage, but could not find anything.

With regards to your ED application I would say that you probably will not get a final decision by the end of August (~6-7 weeks from submission), but hopefully an interview invite by then...

MDF if you dont mind me asking what is your profile?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
miambaprosp wrote:
We are thinking along the same lines with regards to last year's applicants. When I first looked at the roll call the data seems to suggest that the percentage is astronomical, but when you look at all the applicants that did not submit an update of final decision it makes you think that most that get dinged do not update. I combed the internet looking for an approx. percentage, but could not find anything.

With regards to your ED application I would say that you probably will not get a final decision by the end of August (~6-7 weeks from submission), but hopefully an interview invite by then...

MDF if you dont mind me asking what is your profile?

- Male - USA
- 760 GMAT / 3.58 GPA (top 50 state)
- 3 years WE at matriculation - Sales and Project Manager at a small, family owned manufacturing sourcing company. I'm also running a green-tech startup on the side.
- Strong extracurriculars
- Post MBA goals: consulting and entrepreneurship

And you?

If you look at last year's thread, there were actually quite a few applicants who submitted for ED mid July, were invited to interview by the beginning of August, and had a final decision by the end of August. In fact, there were several applicants who submitted early and had an answer in less than 45 days. I guess I can only keep my fingers crossed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MDF wrote:
nimabi wrote:
tiggy wrote:

Thanks.

Good luck! Was this for J-term?

How long was your app under review before you received the interview invite?

yes , it was J term. thanks, under review 1st June, interview invite 7th July
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dont get me wrong I def. think it is possible that you could get a decision by the end of August, considering your strong GMAT especially, I am saying that the Adcom seems unpredictable and I would not hold my breath on it.

US Male 28
690 GMAT / 3.73 GPA from state school
8.5 years WE at matriculation (graduated at 20)
W/E 1: Entrepreneur in Real Estate Business (until 2008 real estate collapse :( )
W/E 2: Operations Manager in Marine Manufacturing Company
Strong EC
Post MBA goal: MC and Entrepreneurship
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nimabi,

I am also a J-term applicant wating for decision.

what is your profile?
Intern
Intern
Schools:Columbia GSB, HBS, HK UST, Oxford
GPA: 3.21
WE 1: Family Business, Investments
Send PM
Hey there! I'm also applying for ED Fall 2012.

I was just wondering, as I come from a family business background, would it be more disadvantageous if I apply to the Fall program as opposed to the J-Term? I would sure love to get some work exposure through an internship!

Good luck for everyone!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Longtime lurker first time poster! I am applying for ED Fall 2012...good luck to all those who applied for J-term! Look forward to learning from your experience applying / interviewing for CBS!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Sorry, saw that I had a couple of questions directed at me. I submitted for J-Term 6/29, got an interview invite on 7/12 and interviewed on 7/25.

Now the waiting game begins!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  171   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts