Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
One more question bb..do I need to time myself during the first and second months?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Everybody:
This is my first post and I am little anxious whether I am posting at the right forum! First of all, I think there is no word that could thank you guys enough for this website, I am sure everybody is thanking you from their heart, but specially me, I will be ever greatful for such a good resource for GMAT preparation.

Now, I have just started to prepare for the quantitative section following your study plan idea, focusing only in Math right now, and I have completed 160 questions from the OG12, and reviewed most of the MGMAT Math strategy book (6 of them). I haven't practice the Data sufficiency yet.

Just to check where I am with Quant, I have taken the GMAT Prep Test 1 (Quant only, skipped all other sections), and within the given timeframe I have answered 24 questions, and result shows 13 incorrect, so Quant raw score is 25. I know looking at it, anyone would say I am very bad in Math...and I do feel down right now, but I want to nail this Quant to a raw score Quant 44 in next 1 month, what should I do now? I hope you could help now, you guys are my only solace.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
troussellem1 wrote:
One more question bb..do I need to time myself during the first and second months?

YES! You want to time every exercise. Don't work on questions if you are not timing yourself.
We have a free GMAT Timer or you can just use a wrist watch or a GMAT ToolKit app on iPhone.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
troussellem1 wrote:
Hey BB!
I'm new on this group and I'd like to know how you can manage to read fiction while at the same time be able to be focused on your Quant Prep?
I'm on my first internship and do not have time for all that reading

Well... what do you do after 10 PM? Watch TV? Well, you read books instead as you should NOT be studying at that hour - it is kind of tough to get much remembered and learned.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mtuhee2 wrote:
Hi Everybody:
This is my first post and I am little anxious whether I am posting at the right forum! First of all, I think there is no word that could thank you guys enough for this website, I am sure everybody is thanking you from their heart, but specially me, I will be ever greatful for such a good resource for GMAT preparation.

Welcome!

Quote:
Now, I have just started to prepare for the quantitative section following your study plan idea, focusing only in Math right now, and I have completed 160 questions from the OG12, and reviewed most of the MGMAT Math strategy book (6 of them). I haven't practice the Data sufficiency yet.

Just to check where I am with Quant, I have taken the GMAT Prep Test 1 (Quant only, skipped all other sections), and within the given timeframe I have answered 24 questions, and result shows 13 incorrect, so Quant raw score is 25. I know looking at it, anyone would say I am very bad in Math...and I do feel down right now, but I want to nail this Quant to a raw score Quant 44 in next 1 month, what should I do now? I hope you could help now, you guys are my only solace.

You should focus on the basics if you are at the 25 level. Perhaps go through the MGMAT Math Foundations if you have not yet. If you have, you need to go back and look at what you missed.

P.S. Always time yourself!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BB - Just read your signature link with its mention of the Manhattan Advanced book, now I'm wondering if I should go look for it to raise my Quant score.. but then I have about 11 days left (test on August 3rd). I do find myself faltering on strategies with 700-800 level questions, and score on an average M 45-47 in various practice tests. I think my verbal is taken care of (44 on last MGMAT, 43 on Knewton free test), and I'll be focusing more on Quant while brushing up verbal alongside.

Tough call, worst case scenario - postpone test by a week to August 10th, bare the repercussions at work since they've been gracious enough to give me 2 weeks for study prep already. Do you think its worth me looking for it? I've reviewed 2 of the Manhattan books (Word Translations & number props)? A Manhattan instructor had recommended I take it easy in my last few days to avoid burn out. I'm in two minds, third attempt, I want to hit all the major resources.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for a quick reply BB. I am going to review 5 MGMAT Quant books again, one thing I didn't do before that I have just figured out: I didn't do OG12 questions after the end of each chapter, I thought I will do them all at once after I am done reviewing 5 MGMAT books, and I think that approach doesn't work well as when I am solving OG12 questions, I don't really remember those MGMAT tips or strategies, I still try to solve OG12 questions with my own past knowledge....so thanks for your suggestion bb, I will start all over again but this time I will do it this way:
1) After each chapter of MGMAT, solve OG12 questions while using GMAT timer
2) After completing all 5 MGMAT book and OG12 questions, take GMAT prep test 1 Quant portion again
3) I will keep you posted my improvement
4) Read Wall street journal, financial times and fiction everyday 11-12:30 P.M

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I think I misunderstood between MGMAT foundations book and Number & Properties, Word translations (all 5). I thought they are the same. But after looking it up in amazon, seems like they are not same.

Do you think I should start with MGMAT foundations book or those 5 strategies book would be fine? What about Kaplan GRE/GMAT math workbook, would that be comparable to MGMAT foundations book? I am going to get the Kaplan math work book today from the library and if you think I need to start with MGMAT, I will just buy it from Amazon....waiting for your kind reply
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mtuhee2 wrote:
I think I misunderstood between MGMAT foundations book and Number & Properties, Word translations (all 5). I thought they are the same. But after looking it up in amazon, seems like they are not same.

Nope, they are definitely not.

Quote:
Do you think I should start with MGMAT foundations book or those 5 strategies book would be fine? What about Kaplan GRE/GMAT math workbook, would that be comparable to MGMAT foundations book? I am going to get the Kaplan math work book today from the library and if you think I need to start with MGMAT, I will just buy it from Amazon....waiting for your kind reply

Probably start with MGMAT Foundations if you have a Q score below 30.
The Kaplan Math Workbook is comparable to the MGMAT Guides, not Foundations. It is actually pretty tough. You can see my review here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html? ... ive=390957
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aximili85 wrote:
BB - Just read your signature link with its mention of the Manhattan Advanced book, now I'm wondering if I should go look for it to raise my Quant score.. but then I have about 11 days left (test on August 3rd). I do find myself faltering on strategies with 700-800 level questions, and score on an average M 45-47 in various practice tests. I think my verbal is taken care of (44 on last MGMAT, 43 on Knewton free test), and I'll be focusing more on Quant while brushing up verbal alongside.

Tough call, worst case scenario - postpone test by a week to August 10th, bare the repercussions at work since they've been gracious enough to give me 2 weeks for study prep already. Do you think its worth me looking for it? I've reviewed 2 of the Manhattan books (Word Translations & number props)? A Manhattan instructor had recommended I take it easy in my last few days to avoid burn out. I'm in two minds, third attempt, I want to hit all the major resources.

Hard to say.... you could cover that book in about a week if you are good. I think it may be worth it so that you don't regret it later on but 11 days is tough.
As to the advice about burn out - absolutely agree!!! try to relax and go to a place in the city you have never been to or something you like. Then 24 hrs before the test, take a sample test (at the same time) and wake up at the same time you would for the next day. That way you will get in the mood. Don't study much else though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot BB. You are awesome. Just ordered the MG MAT foundations book. What was your strategy with this book, I like your suggestions, much more logical, please help
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72911 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mtuhee2 wrote:
Thanks a lot BB. You are awesome. Just ordered the MG MAT foundations book. What was your strategy with this book, I like your suggestions, much more logical, please help

Nothing special - just read, learn, make notes, and review again what you missed - everything you would do for other books.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
the MGMAT guides are a must, but what books specifically should I use to focus on for my Math month and my verbal month? I'm thinking of reading Kaplan and Princeton Review before hand as a base to build, as well as Doing Grammar. Also during my study schedule how many tests should I do all together in the final month?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have got OG11th edition and corresponding MGMAT books that my brother used, are they good enough for my preprations or shall I buy new editions. Please help....
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
AmarSharma wrote:
I have got OG11th edition and corresponding MGMAT books that my brother used, are they good enough for my preprations or shall I buy new editions. Please help....

Yes - they are just fine.
manhattan-gmat-books-3rd-4th-edition-conversion-tables-91671.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot bb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Have a question on the Veritas Gmat prep books. Would they have a drastic change from 2009 to 2011 version. I have the 2009 version and would like to check if there is a lot of difference then may be i need to get the latest version
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  42