Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,

I have couple more questions-

1. I understand from the JBS website that the Outcome for 1st Round will be by 17 Nov. Could you please let us know after getting the offer, within what stipulated time the candidate has to pay 15% of fees as a token of accepting the offer?

2. The website also says that as part of the "Conditional Offer" , students have to provide evidence of how they will fund the full cost of the programme. In case i am looking to get a bank loan, do you guys just need a statement confirming this or do you actually need by that time student should have successfully availed the loan ?
Send PM
@maxmoju

Candidates who receive an offer from us have 3 weeks to pay the reservation fee.
You can indicate that you will apply for a loan from a financial institution and that will be sufficient but it is in every candidate's interest to secure the loan as soon as possible.

Hope that helps.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge Judge Business School
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For everyone's info, Forbes released their biennial MBA rankings last week. The CAmbridge MBA was ranked 5th among 1 year non-US programmes.

I have written more details in my blog but I am happy to take any comments/questions here.
https://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... a-ranking/

Conrad Chua
Head, MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

This one's regarding UK visa rules. I know there is a separate thread going about this but wanted to ask directly to cambridge school representative.

Can you explain how bad can it go for international students based on your on the field experience. Do you think companies will prefer hiring EU students rather than non EU students or have you seen any such trend.
Is there any reassurance that schools like yours can give to international students since most of us right now are kind of confused about whether to apply to UK schools or not since chances of a good return on Investment becomes bleak in case we have to go to our native countries after MBA.

I understand its kind of a generalized question and you may not be in the best position to answer it but still would like to hear from an official school representative.
Send PM
@maxmoju

So far, we have not seen any trend from companies preferring EU over non-EU. Companies still look at talent rather than the passport. So far, we have non-EU students accepting offers for work in the UK.

The current visa regulations do make it easier for a UK company to hire a non-EU student studying in the UK vs hiring a non-EU student with no affiliation to the UK. If a UK company hires a non-EU graduate of a UK MBA programme for example, that student does not count against their Tier 2 quota, and that hire is not subject to local market testing (ie the company does not have to prove that there was no better EU citizen). The downside is that non-EU students have to accept their job offers during the tenure of their student visa so there is much more pressure for non-EU students to get jobs during their time in school.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Hello Conrad,

Thank you for your valuable time and Welcome to the club.

I have a question about your English requirements. I had undertaken my Undergraduate studies from India and recently completed my Masters from a UK university.

I read on the Cambridge Website (Requirements page) that an applicant can waive the english requirement if he/she studied or worked in UK.
I currently have a 108 in TOEFL and it costs a bit to keep talking the exam, over and over, so I wanted to know whether I can waive the english exam requirement?

Thank you.
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@BlueRobin

If you have completed a full-time Masters degree in the UK, we can give you a waiver. Please note though that us giving you a waiver does not necessarily absolve you of any other English requirements that the UK Border Agency might have when you apply for a visa.

Good luck.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Conrad for a detailed explanation. Appreciate you taking your time off and answering the queries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Thanks Conrad for the information.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Hi,

I have done my bachelors in business admin - 3 yrs full time , and I have done one year programme which i could attend through satellite medium of classes, so i could continue my job as well.

i have an experience of 10 yrs - full time.

So, as a whole the no of years of formal education i have taken till now is 15 yrs - full time , so can i apply or not ? or do you require me to complete 16 years of formal full time education?

cheers,
Send PM
hirendhak

I don't make individual assessments for candidates. But if you have a full-time bachelor's degree with at least a 2:1 and a minimum of three years work experience, then you satisfy those requirements.

All the best.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Send PM
hi,

I read your revert on the work permit issue, Interesting point made is the NON EU students have to get JOB offers while they are on the student VISA - that is before completion of the MBA - After the course is over - if there are no jobs - they would have to return to their respective home country.

Could you please share some data points as to how many students receive job offers while doing their MBA ( as website data is 3 months from graduation) - & what % of those job offers are generated through career services.

Also share some light on options for a NON EU students - who does not get placed before finishing his MBA - how much time do they have on hand - Before being deported.
Send PM
@alokag. the visa is usually for the duration of the course plus 4 months so you can use the website data on offers received within 3 months of graduation as the data point.

However, I always tell people that it is not that instructive to extrapolate from the employment data of any school to one's individual case. You have to look at your own work experience and ask yourself how close a fit it is to your desired career transition. You can also ask people in the area/company that you want to work in whether your profile is competitive and whether an MBA would help strengthen your profile.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Dear Mr. Conrad Chua,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions on GMAT Club.

I am a prospective MBA candidate interested in working in finance in the Greater China region. From my understanding, most bulge bracket investment banks and large private equity firms hire almost exclusively out of their summer associate class. Since the Judge MBA is a 1 year program, I was wondering how Judge makes up for a lack of a summer internship, in terms of placement at top financial services firms, compared to 2 year programs such as LBS?

Also according to the Cambridge MBA employment report for the Class of 2009, 45% of students were of Asian nationalities but Asia only accounted for 9% of the post-MBA job location. I have an US background, am currently working in Asia, and plan to return to Asia post-MBA. I was wondering if you can comment on Judge's Asia employment placement and alumni network given what seems like the vast majority of students from Asia choosing to stay in the UK rather than return home?

Thank you again for taking the time to answer questions on this website

Originally posted by shanghaizzle on 01 Oct 2011, 21:48.
Last edited by shanghaizzle on 25 Oct 2011, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Robert

Thanks for your email.

Firstly, the 2009 employment report showed that 33% of our graduates worked in Asia post-MBA, not 9% as you mentioned.

Secondly, you are right that many bulge bracket investment banks hire associates through the summer internship route. But that does not mean that our graduates do not enter the investment banking field. Quite a number work in boutique investment banks and some graduates work in bulge bracket investment banks. A few of those who work in the bulge bracket firms had no prior experience in finance but they were very strong personalities who did their homework, networked intelligently and had the persistence to keep plugging away. Ironically, such graduates were hired at levels above an associate, but I should say that these were exceptional leaders in their own right.

If you are considering a career in investment banking, I would suggest talking to people in the field right now to ascertain the hiring situation for the next two years.

Conrad Chua
Head University of Cambridge Judge Business School MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Dear Mr Conrad Chua,

Thank you for your response and I apologize for my mistake on Cambridge's Asia employment numbers.

I currently work for a boutique financial services firm and am interested in making a transition into a larger firm post-MBA. From networking, I have learned that while I can secure letters of recommendations from currently employees at the larger firms, I will still likely have to go through the official graduate recruitment process at the associate level. (I currently have too little experience for employment above the associate level.) Recruitment at larger firms often takes place during September of the year prior to the employment date, which is roughly the same time as Cambridge's MBA matriculation date.

One of the many things that draws me to the Cambridge MBA is that it is only a 1 year program, but I was wondering if you could highlight some things that Cambridge does to prepare its students for employment very early in its MBA process? Also I was wondering if you could highlight some things that Cambridge does to prepare its students for recruitment many thousands of kilometers away from the UK?

Thank you very much

Originally posted by shanghaizzle on 02 Oct 2011, 22:02.
Last edited by shanghaizzle on 25 Oct 2011, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Robert

Careers prep starts before students even step foot on campus. Our Careers team asks students to polish up their CVs, crystallise their career goals and start planning their career search. They then arrange 1-on-1 sessions with students through the first few weeks of term. There are also case interview workshops that the Careers team organises.

60% of our class work outside the UK after graduation. They find their jobs in a variety of ways. Many companies hire globally and there is a standard recruitment process that candidates have to adhere to regardless of location. This applies even to the companies who visit campus. But many students use their initiative to initiate and share contacts, which might lead to group consulting projects/internships for themselves and other students. This then could subsequently lead to formal work opportunities. I've been very impressed with the number of students who have collaborated with their fellow classmates by giving feedback about their job search ideas or pointing them in the right direction.

Given that you are already in Asia, you will have an advantage in terms of knowing the region and people in the industry. One question you left unanswered is why do you want to make the transition to a large i-bank. Are you also looking for a change in your job function?

Conrad Chua
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts