Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Re: Lessons from my GMAT test: 700 (Q49/V40) [#permalink]
gsd85 wrote:
Congrats for the great score!!!!!!!!...........Although one thing baffles me that how come Q49 and V 40 resulted in only a score of 700!!!!.....The Gmat score calculators indicate a much higher score.........

i too am wandering the same??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Me 2 wondering !!! Always thought Q49 V40 = 730 ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Send PM
Sorry for the error but Q is 47 and not 49.

There are some minor errors of structure and grammar in my above brief. Kindly ignore them.

Regards
Rahul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
retro wrote:
Sorry for the error but Q is 47 and not 49.

There are some minor errors of structure and grammar in my above brief. Kindly ignore them.

Regards
Rahul

That explains. Perhaps when you get a chance, please update your original debrief. It scared the **** out of me - (q49, v40) = 700 :O. I was like seriously, that's a crazy split up. I would expect "at least" 720 with this split, if not more (in fact q49, v42 = ~750).

Thanks for the debrief! Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Hey Retro, Congrates for the great score.. specially verbal..V40 is great..!!!

Can you please share your overall Verbal approach?
Also, can you please share the Materials/ Books used for SC, CR and RC seperatily. I'm currently at V25-V30 and desperately need V40-V45, Any advise?

Thanks in Advance.

Peace,
Aj.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools:ISB
Send PM
congrats man
best of luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ajay369 wrote:
Hey Retro, Congrates for the great score.. specially verbal..V40 is great..!!!

Can you please share your overall Verbal approach?
Also, can you please share the Materials/ Books used for SC, CR and RC seperatily. I'm currently at V25-V30 and desperately need V40-V45, Any advise?

Thanks in Advance.

Peace,
Aj.

Thanks Ajay.

The comprehensive verbal approach is just what I outlined in my debrief. Ghee seedhi ungli se nikal nahi rahee thee (Hindi adage for saying Hooks did not work. So resorted to the crooks; the term crooks means tricks and nothing illegal though;-));

To me, RC was the easiest to attack first. THe synonym for RC is "a Open-book exam". You have the freedom to explore the book while you answer the questions. Simple isn't it? If you are not convinced, then prepare your mind into that frame now. That is the only option I saw for myself. It worked too.
All information is spread right before you in black and white (to help you, some parts are in Yellow too). You need not identify the conclusions, premises or assumptions. Neither do you need to identify the parts of speech especially in extremely complex sentences. All that you need is to read the paragraphs laid out before you simultaneously emphasize 'reading between the lines'. The trick is in doing both simultaneously. And that is where the symbolic precise writing helps. A good symbol laden precise is faster written, easier to identify (if the symbols were your playschool toys), tells you what you have understood within smaller time, helps you identify the parts of the passage better and almost immediately gives you the gist of the passage. This also means you make more time for the other two areas.

CR's most frequent trick is giving you choices of irrelevance or counter choices (choices that are relevant but mislead you in the opposite direction of the logic). The moment you identify the irrelevances (some in the garb of relevant words) and contradictions, you have solved the questions half. The rest of the questions are complex and you have sufficient liberty to spend your saved time on those questions. Marking the choices with the symbols + (Strengthen) or -(Weaken) or (irrelevant)? is extremely useful. More important than these markings is that you must have understood the question to perfection. If not, you are making the wrong markings.

SC is perhaps the most complex (rather messy) one. I especially felt the rules can be twisted/torted in anyone's favor. Plus, there is this whole confusion between American and Briton usage. If you love Sherlock holmes or Charles dickens, forget them till your exam is done. The rules are vastly different. In addition to this confusion, a sentence could have multiple meanings with just one intended essence and you may have caught the wrong thread if you failed on the original intent. All in all, I was satisfied with getting about 80% of the questions right. You can call it complacency but I will call it a nice trick to reach a decent score. All this does not exclude you from learning the idioms, basic grammar rules, mostly tested area examples et al. My approach is just sufficient to get the best out of the exam.

No single book gives you all the three efficiently. I've used Professor Dave's GMAT book https://www.amazon.com/GMAT-Advantage-Professor-Dave/dp/0970175620. This book details the pitfalls, how GMAC tricks you into the wrong answers, allows you to sit in the chairs of the examiners and see how they can frame questions and gives you good drills as well. Of course, The verbal OGs (both the 12th edn and the stand alone 2nd edition) are compulsory and give you more grinding. Kaplan to some extent is useful. Especially the 800 advanced book. Their basic verbal guide is a good starting point. To compensate my weakness in some parts of the grammar like conditionals, tenses (perfect tense especially) et al, I did the exercises in Murphy's English grammar book (though this book is Briton, it gives you the role of grammar and the subtelities in their usage thru a wide set of examples. It also gives you lot of grinding thru the exercises. More specially, it's content is very well structured). https://www.cambridge.org/in/elt/catalogue/subject/project/item404854/English-Grammar-in-Use/?site_locale=hi_IN. The OG is anyway necessary because it comes from the horse's mouth straight.

Practicing a lot of questions helps although you need to take every answer with a pinch of salt if you do not like it. last but not the least, do not be disappointed if you score low on ANY test except the Actual practice tests from GMAC. In my view while practicing, you MUST demand from yourself a complete understanding of why your answer is wrong, whether your choice is correct or now. I think it helps extremely if you insist on the same principle on all the three question types.

Time management is extremely important. From about 105 minutes, I brought my time down to 65 minutes. This is because I practiced drawing out the square boxes for all questions first and then drawing only for select questions later on. My time map (detailed in the original writeup also helped quite a lot). It was the "Can I do it in-time radar". Note: 65 minutes is not early on the actual exam. Clocking 64 on practice 41-sets means merely means you will scrap through choice E of the 41st question at 74:59.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Rahul
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Lessons from my GMAT test: 700 (Q47/V40) [#permalink]
Hi,

Do you have any specific strategies that helped you raise your verbal score past 38 and your math score past 42? I am ultimately shooting for a 41/42 in verbal and a 45/46 in quant.

I received the following scores on the last few MGMAT tests and need to cross (or at least meet) the 700 hurdle in less than a month (test is October 4th) and I am applying second round this year. I have completed both MGMAT and Veritas courses, and hence, have all of their materials. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Last Official GMAT Test (7/21/11): 590 ( Q 34 / V 38)
MGMAT Practice Test 3 (8/13/11): 590 (Q 37 / V 34)
MGMAT Practice Test 4 (8/21/11): 590 (Q 35 / V 35)
MGMAT Practice Test 5 (9/3/11): 650 ( Q 40 / V 38)
MGMAT Practice Test 6 (9/5/11): 640 (Q 42 / V 36)

Also - I plan to take a GMAC practice exam this Sunday so any tips before then would be great!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot Rahul for your time.
Best of luck for ur apps.!!

One suggestion - Mujh see bhi ghee seedhi ungli se nahin nikal rahee hai ;-/ ... Do you think diligently working out 4-5 passages/ Day for a month will help me in RC?

Cheers.!

Originally posted by Capricorn369 on 08 Sep 2011, 21:04.
Last edited by Capricorn369 on 08 Sep 2011, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
great score Rahul.
Congrats :)
all d best for your future application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 314 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulation Rahul, specially for Verbal! This is a great win! All the Best for apps!

regards,
V.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBADiva2012 wrote:
Hi,

Do you have any specific strategies that helped you raise your verbal score past 38 and your math score past 42? I am ultimately shooting for a 41/42 in verbal and a 45/46 in quant.

I received the following scores on the last few MGMAT tests and need to cross (or at least meet) the 700 hurdle in less than a month (test is October 4th) and I am applying second round this year. I have completed both MGMAT and Veritas courses, and hence, have all of their materials. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Last Official GMAT Test (7/21/11): 590 ( Q 34 / V 38)
MGMAT Practice Test 3 (8/13/11): 590 (Q 37 / V 34)
MGMAT Practice Test 4 (8/21/11): 590 (Q 35 / V 35)
MGMAT Practice Test 5 (9/3/11): 650 ( Q 40 / V 38)
MGMAT Practice Test 6 (9/5/11): 640 (Q 42 / V 36)

Also - I plan to take a GMAC practice exam this Sunday so any tips before then would be great!

All I did, I explained in my initial brief and the second one in response to Ajay's request.

Keep GMAC's pract tests for the last. They are the ones that come closest to your accurate final scores. Consume others before the D-Day.

Quant is a tough one, if you are not a juggler of the basics. With quant the strategy is practice. With Verbal, the necessity is the insight into the arguments, the essays to be read and the sentences to be corrected. Verbal is a tough call regardless of how good you are on Quant.

All the best on the practice tests as well. But do not be let down or blown away by your performance in those. Those scores are just how prepared the coaching company thinks you are and that may not be the closest relative to GMAC. But just ensure you get the reasons for the right/wrong choices fully assimilated into your thought process. Without understanding why an answer is wrong, you will never be able to correct your mistakes. Without confirming why your answer is right, there is no guarantee you will always choose the correct option always.

Regards
Rahul
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ajay369 wrote:
Thanks a lot Rahul for your time.
Best of luck for ur apps.!!

One suggestion - Mujh see bhi ghee seedhi ungli se nahin nikal rahee hai ;-/ ... Do you think diligently working out 4-5 passages/ Day for a month will help me in RC?

Cheers.!

Work smart, I'd say. If you just worked on 4-5 passages each day getting 2/5 questions right on all of them, there is little benefit.

Instead practice making sense of each one of the paragraphs with one-liner (max two) liner notes. Concentrate on the approach most suitable and effective to you. Get used to it; decrease the time per question. Using GRE RC psgs may not be a bad idea as well.

Have some fun making out what this means:
HW usfl?; evry pgf 2b undstd<--1l/(2l) prcs; mthd stble 4me?;--t/q;GRE rc?

To be able to make the one liner above, I spent abt 30 secs. Practice may make you even faster.

Regards
Rahul
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I hear what you're saying buddy. I'll try above and see if it works for me.
Thank you once again!

Peace!
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
congrats on the score and a very interesting story! yes your originally stated split scared me too!! lol. But welcome to the 700 club!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Congrats.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64966 [0]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Expert Reply
@Rahul: As per your request, I am giving my opinion.

First of all, congratulations! It certainly is a good score.
That said, I would be more comfortable applying to ISB with a 750. Not that it would give my chances a boost but I would have nothing to worry about losing out in 'GMAT score' aspect. Among Indian applicants, 750 is kind of 'normal'.

But then again, there are no hard and fast rules. If you can manage to produce a very good application and crack the interview (your long experience will be very helpful), a 700 is good enough. Rather than going back to GMAT prep, you should spend your time sorting out your story and figuring out what differentiates you from the next person, what unique characteristics do you bring to the table, why the school is a good fit for you, what you intend to gain from the school, what you can give back to the school, why the school should choose you over the guy who has 750, great acads and a good work ex. In my opinion, they will focus less on your acads and GMAT and more on your work ex (which has to make you shine).

Even if you do want to think about re-taking GMAT, consider this: Did you prepare well for it? Do you think you can improve markedly next time or will you rely on luck to take you 30-40 points higher? Do you know your weaknesses and are you sure you will be able to put in effort to work on them? Also, do you feel that luck played in part in reaching 700 or do you think that you deserve not only 700 but also more? Retaking GMAT doesn't reflect poorly on you but if you score around 700 next time too, it might show that you are re-taking in the hope that you will get lucky sometime. If you do take it again, it has to be for a marked improvement. You should touch 750 to show that you did not perform up to your potential the first time around and hence took it again.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts