Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 13:41 It is currently 11 May 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [14]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Metal Detector [#permalink]
thevenus wrote:
Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even though
they are buried in the sand and dirt.[/u]

Meaning;
Hobbists use metal detector to locate the old coins and other valuables which are buried in sand and dirt.

A) Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even
though they are buried in the sand and dirt.
"they" is ambiguous -they should refer to coins and valuables but here it seems that "them"is referring to hobbyists-incorrect
B) Old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector even
"they" is ambiguous -they should refer to coins and valuables but here it seems that "them"is referring to hobbyists-incorrect
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though
they are buried in the sand and dirt.
correct-"using" is modifying the hobbyist ,"they" is referring to old coins and valuables.
D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists
using a metal detector.
buried in....using a metal detector-incorrect
E) A metal detector can be used to locate old coins and other valuables that are buried in
the sand and dirt by a hobbyist.
hobbyist never buried the old coins and valuable !!

(C) wins

Can you pls explain in detail on why D can be rejected ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8825 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector. :(

The problem with this option is that "buried in the sand and dirt" is only modifying old coins and NOT valuables. The original sentence implies that both old coins and other valuables are buried in the sand and dirt. Also this sentence is in passive voice and there is another option in active voice. Eliminate because of meaning change and passive voice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1176 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
badribaba1984 wrote:
thevenus wrote:
Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even though

Meaning;
Hobbists use metal detector to locate the old coins and other valuables which are buried in sand and dirt.

A) Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even
B) Old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector even
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though
correct-"using" is modifying the hobbyist ,"they" is referring to old coins and valuables.
D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists
using a metal detector.
E) A metal detector can be used to locate old coins and other valuables that are buried in

(C) wins

I think there is no issue with pronoun they in both B & C. They is referring to old coins & valuables. Coz in this context its nonsensical for 'they' to refer hobbyist. If it were so then, in option C: 'They' can also refer to hobbyist.

I think since B & D are in passive voice construction, we can eliminate them. We have a more proper active voice const. i,e C (Correct answer)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
badribaba1984 wrote:
thevenus wrote:

Meaning;

using a metal detector.

(C) wins

If you have to choose between two answer choices, I would choose the one with the active voice. For example, choose an answer choice that says someone did something instead of an answer choice that says something was done by someone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
badribaba1984 wrote:

using a metal detector.

I'm not sure between C & D. Can someone clarify my below comments?
-> C has confusing "they", which is either referring to hobbyists or old coins and other valuables. Am I correct?
-> D has passive voice and has modifier issue -"Buried in the sand and dirt" is modifying ONLY "old coins". Am I correct?

Cheers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42110 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though they are buried in the sand and dirt. ---- I think pronoun reference is passable in C because, logically the hobbyists are not burial objects and even if buried cannot be expected to locate some coins or some such thighs in the burial state.

D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector --- Whether the adjectival participial modifier modifies only THE COINS after the comma, is little more tricky. Even here, logic can rescue us.

If we single out the coins as the modified noun, what is the status of ‘the valuables’? It is simply dangling. If on the contrary if you treat the second part as an IC, then ‘the coins’ will have no verb. That is why the coins and the other valuable become one entity and have be treated on par with each other, either for modification or for verbing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8825 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though they are buried in the sand and dirt. ---- I think pronoun reference is passable in C because, logically the hobbyists are not burial objects and even if buried cannot be expected to locate some coins or some such thighs in the burial state.

D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector --- Whether the adjectival participial modifier modifies only THE COINS after the comma, is little more tricky. Even here, logic can rescue us.

If we single out the coins as the modified noun, what is the status of ‘the valuables’? It is simply dangling. If on the contrary if you treat the second part as an IC, then ‘the coins’ will have no verb. That is why the coins and the other valuable become one entity and have be treated on par with each other, either for modification or for verbing.

Good explanation daagh, I completely missed that. So can we say as a general rule, that if two nouns joined by "and" have only one working verb, we have to treat it as a compound noun and consequently, any modifier would modify the compound noun? If I'm seeing this correctly, this would be an exception to the modifier "touch" rule?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42110 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos