GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2015, 12:27
badribaba1984 wrote:
Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even though
they are buried in the sand and dirt.

A) Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists even
though they are buried in the sand and dirt.
B) Old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists using a metal detector even
though they are buried in the sand and dirt.
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though
they are buried in the sand and dirt.
D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists
using a metal detector.
E) A metal detector can be used to locate old coins and other valuables that are buried in
the sand and dirt by a hobbyist.

I initially marked the answer as D, because I though they in C was ambiguous. But I realize now that the modifier at the beginning of option D will modify the subject of the clause, which is Hobbyists. Just because D is in passive, the modification seems correct initially.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 04:47
I think this the example where we need to Understand that GMAT accepts a little ambiguity in the pronoun reference.
As in option
C) Using a metal detector, hobbyists can locate old coins and other valuables even though
they are buried in the sand and dirt.----
Here they cannot logically refer to the hobbyists is understood but here as well "they" can refer to only old coins (plural) or only valuables ( plural) or both .

D) Buried in the sand and dirt, old coins and other valuables can be located by hobbyists
using a metal detector.
---here the modifier "Buried in the..blabla " refers to only old coins but the intended meaning wants "both old coins and other valuables" to be buried :P

so best option between C and D would be C
Right Experts??
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 07:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 07:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Using a metal detector, old coins and other valuables can be

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap