Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [22]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The problem with E is twofold. The major one is the shift of the time marker of the verb tense. Actually the lack of symptom is the earlier one and hence has to be described in past perfect as - had not experienced-. The second symptom, namely the facial paralysis, was set on much later in the early stages of the actual disease, much after his adulthood, and hence we need to use a simple past tense.
The second minor problem as I see, is the use of - since - to mean because, which is not desirable according to GMAT. So E is inferior.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The problem with E is twofold. The major one is the shift of the time marker of the verb tense. Actually the lack of symptom is the earlier one and hence has to be described in past perfect as - had not experienced-. The second symptom, namely the facial paralysis, was set on much later in the early stages of the actual disease, much after his adulthood, and hence we need to use a simple past tense.
The second minor problem as I see, is the use of - since - to mean because, which is not desirable according to GMAT. So E is inferior.

Hi daag
plz explain every options verb tense problem................
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Human Resources, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 08-06-2015
GPA: 3.83
WE:Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think people are getting confused here about the basic meaning of the sentence:

Eliminating B and D on the basis of tense. Has not/ had been/had been

We are left with A, C, E

Check A first:
if one can't understand the meaning, test the timeline:
Past perfect----->Past------>Present
He had not experienced any symptoms till adulthood (From birth till adulthood)----->He was facing facial paralysis (which according to passage suggests is a symptom of GBS and not complications of Polio)----->Diagonis may be wrong (suggestion in present)

C's timeline
Early on he experienced problems and having not experienced...hhmmmmmmm....
----> He had facial paralysis and also did not have any symptoms (Overlap of timeline....because past and present perfect continuous suggests continuation till present) -- > Total confusion here!

E's timeline
He did not face symptoms but had facial paralysis
Its like the best contradiction ever!
How can a person not face any symptom but have facial paralysis?
E negated.

Left with A
So OA is A

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
daagh wrote:
(A)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood and was affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness ---- The correct choice

(B)Since he has experienced his symptoms in adulthood and has been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness--- Roosevelt is no more. We cannot use present perfect tense

(C)Early on in the course of his illness he experienced facial paralysis and having not experienced any symptoms until adulthood—the problem may be with meaning. There is no causal connection between the lack of symptoms until adulthood and correlating this fact with the GBS symptoms, with a proper connector such as because.

(D)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood, he had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness---This gives a wrong picture that because of lack of earlier symptoms, he experienced the later problems.

(E)Since he did not experience any symptoms until adulthood and had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness --- as already explained.

Hello daagh

With respect to sentence A , as long as Roosevelt is no more , the writer shouldn't have used the present perfect in " my have suffered" . please correct me if I am wrong
Thank You.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Send PM
mun23 wrote:
Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood and was affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, whose death was originally attributed to complications arising from polio, may actually have suffered from symptoms related to Guillain-Barre syndrome.

(A)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood and was affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(B)Since he has experienced his symptoms in adulthood and has been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(C)Early on in the course of his illness he experienced facial paralysis and having not experienced any symptoms until adulthood
(D)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood, he had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(E)Since he did not experience any symptoms until adulthood and had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness

Need explanation .....

Why E is wrong

The correct answer here should be A. There are two events happening in the past.

1. Experiencing symptoms until childhood and
2. facial paralysis early on the course of illness.

Not to express first we need past tense and for second we need simple past tense. A correctly addresses these two events.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
this question is so confusing between A and E.
A is much better than E b/c of "until"
(B)Since he has experienced his symptoms in adulthood and has been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(C)Early on in the course of his illness he experienced facial paralysis and having not experienced any symptoms until adulthood
(D)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood, he had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness meaning and structure changed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="mun23"]Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood and was affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, whose death was originally attributed to complications arising from polio, may actually have suffered from symptoms related to Guillain-Barre syndrome.

(A)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood and was affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(D)Because he had not experienced any symptoms until adulthood, he had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness
(E)Since he did not experience any symptoms until adulthood and had been affected by facial paralysis early on in the course of his illness

look at choice A
had not experience until adulthood
is incorrect, I think

this require simple past.
am i correct?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts