Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4041 [362]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3093 [101]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [65]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [27]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
If s is an integer and we know that the average speed is 2.8, s must be = 2. That means "s+1" = 3. This implies that the ratio of time for s=2 is 1/4 of the total time. The formula for distance/rate is D=Rt...so the distance travelled when s=2 is 2t. The distance travelled for s+1=3 is 3*4t or 12t. Therefore, total distance covered while the sun was shining over him is 2/14 = 1/7. Answer: E
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [21]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:
What i m not getting is that why are we considering average speed as arithmetic mean of the speeds?
average speed is calculated by total distance divided by total time taken, isnt it??

kindly help :)

Average Speed lies in between the two speeds. It may not be in the center since the time taken at the two speeds might be different but it does lie somewhere in between them. You cannot drive at two speeds: 50 mph and 60 mph and still expect to average 70 mph. Your average will lie somewhere between 50 and 60.

Similarly, if the average speed is 2.8 and the two speeds are consecutive integers, the speeds must be 2 and 3. You cannot have the speeds as (1 and 2) or (3 and 4) since they cannot average out to be 2.8.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOAU7moZ2Q
and this post: https://anaprep.com/arithmetic-weighted-averages/

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 06 Mar 2013, 22:04.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 08 Aug 2023, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [8]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sambam wrote:
If s is an integer and we know that the average speed is 2.8, s must be = 2. That means "s+1" = 3. This implies that the ratio of time for s=2 is 1/4 of the total time. The formula for distance/rate is D=Rt...so the distance travelled when s=2 is 2t. The distance travelled for s+1=3 is 3*4t or 12t. Therefore, total distance covered while the sun was shining over him is 2/14 = 1/7. Answer: E

The key to this question is indeed that s must be 2, and therefore s+1 must be 3. It is impossible to average out a speed of 2.8 with any other two consecutive integers. The algebraic solution outlined above using D=RT gives the correct answer very quickly, but this can also be solved by using the concept and backsolving.

First of all, the classic trap of 1/4 of the time of the total time above is misleading. In fact, it implies that Derek spent 1/5 of his time at the slower speed and 4/5 at the higher speed. This is because 0.8 is analogous to 4/5, and can be demonstrated by (1/5 * 2) + (4/5 * 3) = 2/5 + 12/5 = 14/5 or 2.8. Once we know that Derek spent 1/5 of his time walking at his sunny-weather rate, and we know that the other 4/5 of the time he was walking faster, we can deduce that he covered less than 1/5 of the distance at the sunny-weather rate. If we understand this concept, we are down to two answer choices, D or E.

We can now backsolve by converting time into distance. Using D (1/6 of distance), we can assume 6 miles of distance, 1 of which at 2 mph and the other 5 at 3 mph. This leaves us with 0.5 hours of timeat speed s and 1.67 hours at speed s+1. These need to be in the ratio of 1:4 (or 1/5 to 4/5), and therefore don't work. Once this doesn't work, we know the answer is E. (Note: Backsolving for E gives 7 miles, 1 at 2 mph and 6 at 3 mph, yielding totals of 0.5 hours and 2 hours, exactly what we're looking for.

Undoubtedly the algebraic solution is faster, however, the concept alone leaves this at a 50/50 choice between D and E. Afterward, solving using one answer choice will confirm which one of the two must be correct.

Originally posted by VeritasPrepRon on 11 Feb 2013, 17:59.
Last edited by VeritasPrepRon on 29 Jul 2013, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1284 [1]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
vinaymimani wrote:
We know that the average speed is 2.8 mph. Thus,

as \(s<2.8<s+1\)

or \(s>1.8\) and \(s<2.8\). As s is an integer, the only value can be s=2. Thus,

Let the total length be d. Let the path where the sun shone on him be d1 = kd (0<k<1)

\(\frac{d}{2.8}\)=\(\frac{d1}{2}\)+\(\frac{d2}{3}\) =\(\frac{kd}{2}+\frac{(1-k)d}{3}\)

or \(\frac{10}{28}\)=\(\frac{k}{2}+\frac{(1-k)}{3}\)

By simple substitution, we can find that k = 1/7.

Hi vinaymimani
How did u get that : as \(s<2.8<s+1\)

or \(s>1.8\) and \(s<2.8\).

Regards
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3093 [5]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
Rock750 wrote:
vinaymimani wrote:
We know that the average speed is 2.8 mph. Thus,

as \(s<2.8<s+1\)

or \(s>1.8\) and \(s<2.8\). As s is an integer, the only value can be s=2. Thus,

Let the total length be d. Let the path where the sun shone on him be d1 = kd (0<k<1)

\(\frac{d}{2.8}\)=\(\frac{d1}{2}\)+\(\frac{d2}{3}\) =\(\frac{kd}{2}+\frac{(1-k)d}{3}\)

or \(\frac{10}{28}\)=\(\frac{k}{2}+\frac{(1-k)}{3}\)

By simple substitution, we can find that k = 1/7.

Hi vinaymimani
How did u get that : as \(s<2.8<s+1\)

or \(s>1.8\) and \(s<2.8\).

Regards

Hi Rock750

I will give a general proof for the above question :

From the given picture, let n1 and n2(n1,n2 are not equal to 0) be the speed for the length d1 and d2 respectively.

Also,

d=d1+d2 , d1 = kd, where 0<k<1

Now, average speed for this length is

\(\frac{d}{[d1/n1+d2/n2]}\) =\(\frac{d}{[kd/n1+d(1-k)/n2]}\) = let's call this value as AVG

Now, Considering n1>n2;lets assume that this average speed will be always between n1 & n2 or n2<AVG<n1

\(n2<\frac{n1*n2}{[n2*k+n1*(1-k)]}\) ..... I

and

\(\frac{n1*n2}{[n2*k+n1*(1-k)]}<n1\).........II

Thus, from I, our assumption will be right iff
\([n2*k+n1*(1-k)]<n1\)

or (n1-n2)k>0.

As we had already assumed that, this stands true.

Similarly, from II, we have our assumption to be true iff

\((n2-n1)*(1-k)<0\); which is again true.

Thus for any positive value of n1,n2 the inequality n2<AVG<n1 will always holds.

In the given sum, n2 = s, n1 = s+1 and AVG = 2.8 mph. Thus, 2.8 will always lie between s and (s+1). The question mentions that "s" is an integer for this very purpose.

I hope it was clear enough.
Attachments

3.jpg
3.jpg [ 17.97 KiB | Viewed 68255 times ]

Originally posted by mau5 on 12 Feb 2013, 02:35.
Last edited by mau5 on 19 Mar 2013, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
What i m not getting is that why are we considering average speed as arithmetic mean of the speeds?
average speed is calculated by total distance divided by total time taken, isnt it??

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619175 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
swarman wrote:

Where, in which post, is the average speed calculated as the average of the two speeds?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi Bunuel
Actually i thought the way we got s as 2 was:
(s+s+1)/2= 2.8 and by solving it we get value of s as 2 (closest integer).. but now its clear thanks to Karishma!

thank you both! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [5]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi,

Nice question!!!

I solved it like this..

let t1 be sunny time and t2 be cloudy time
then we are asked to find t1/ (t1+t2) (say X)

and avg speed = 2.8 = (st1+ st2+ t2)/(t1+t2)
so 2.8 = s + t2/(t1+t2)
2.8 = S + 1 - X
So our Req Qty X = S - 1.8
and since S is an integer the only value it can take is 2 (If its 3, the fraction will become absurd and if its 0, it becomes -ve!)
so
X = 0.2 or 1/5
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
swarman wrote:

Where, in which post, is the average speed calculated as the average of the two speeds?

Hi Bunuel,
I took the following classical equations route to solve

Sunny:
Speed = s
Distance = x
hence, time = x/s

Cloudy:
Speed = s+1
dist = y
hence, time = y/(s+1)

Average:
Speed = 2.8