Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]
emmak wrote:
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work. When it is sunny, he walks at a speed of s miles/hr (s is an integer) and when it gets cloudy, he increases his speed to (s + 1) miles/hr. If his average speed for the entire distance is 2.8 miles/hr, what fraction of the total distance did he cover while the sun was shining on him?

A. 1/4
B. 4/5
C. 1/5
D. 1/6
E. 1/7

Since the average speed is 2.8, s has to be 2. The speed ratio is 2:3 and the time ratio is 1:4; therefore, the required ratio is 2/(2+12) = 1/7.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29928 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
emmak wrote:
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work. When it is sunny, he walks at a speed of s miles/hr (s is an integer) and when it gets cloudy, he increases his speed to (s + 1) miles/hr. If his average speed for the entire distance is 2.8 miles/hr, what fraction of the total distance did he cover while the sun was shining on him?

A. 1/4
B. 4/5
C. 1/5
D. 1/6
E. 1/7

Let's assign a nice value to the total distance traveled.

If Derek's average speed is 2.8 mph, then let's say that he traveled a total of 28 miles.
At an average rate of 2.8 mph, a 28 mile trip will take 10 hours.

Since Derek's average speed is BETWEEN 2 mph and 3 mph, we can conclude that Derek walked 2 mph when it was sunny, and he walked 3 mph when it was cloudy.

Let's t = number of hours walking while sunny
So, 10 - t = number of hours walking while cloudy

We'll begin with a word equation: (distance traveled while sunny) + (distance traveled while cloudy) = 28
Since distance = (speed)(time), we can now write:
(2)(t) + (3)(10 - t) = 28
Expand: 2t + 30 - 3t = 28
Solve: t = 2
In other words, Derek walked for 2 hours while sunny.

At a walking speed of 2 mph, Derek walked for 4 miles while sunny.
So, Derek walked 4/28 of the total distance while the sun was shining on him.
4/28
= 1/7

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Hi GMATPrepNow & VeritasPrepKarishma

I couldn't recognize that I can get S equal 2 from the beginning, so I used the weighted average as follows:

Let ds is the distance walked when it's sunny while dt is the total distance.

2.8 (Average speed) = S x ds/dt + (S+1)(dt-ds)/dt

Let ds/dt = K

2.8 = SK + (S+1)(1-X)
S = X + 1.8

The only answer choice that keeps S as an integer (2) is X = 1/5 => answer C

May I know what's wrong in my approach?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29928 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
hisho wrote:

I couldn't recognize that I can get S equal 2 from the beginning, so I used the weighted average as follows:

Let ds/dt = K

2.8 = SK + (S+1)(1-X)
S = X + 1.8

Your solution assumes that average speed is based on the proportions of the distances traveled at each speed.
So, for example, if we traveled half the distance at 40 mph and traveled the other half the distance at 60 mph, then the average speed would be 50 mph.
However, this is not how average speeds work.

For more on this, watch the following video:

Cheers,
Brent
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64917 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hisho wrote:

Let ds/dt = K

2.8 = SK + (S+1)(1-X)
S = X + 1.8

Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time

Average Speed = (Distance1 + Distance2) / (Time1 + Time2)

Average Speed = (Speed1*Time1 + Speed2*Time2) / (Time1 + Time2)

What you have done is

Average Speed = (Speed1*Distance1 + Speed2*Distance2) / (Distance1 + Distance2)
which is illogical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
swarman wrote:
What i m not getting is that why are we considering average speed as arithmetic mean of the speeds?
average speed is calculated by total distance divided by total time taken, isnt it??

kindly help :)

Average Speed lies in between the two speeds. It may not be in the center since the time taken at the two speeds might be different but it does lie somewhere in between them. You cannot drive at two speeds: 50 mph and 60 mph and still expect to average 70 mph. Your average will lie somewhere between 50 and 60.

Similarly, if the average speed is 2.8 and the two speeds are consecutive integers, the speeds must be 2 and 3. You cannot have the speeds as (1 and 2) or (3 and 4) since they cannot average out to be 2.8.

Thanks a lot Karishma :). I like the way you explain things :thumbup:
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6273 [3]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
emmak wrote:

A. 1/4
B. 4/5
C. 1/5
D. 1/6
E. 1/7

Let the total distance = d and x = the distance he covered when it was sunny. Thus, the distance he covered when it was cloudy is d - x. We need to determine the value of x/d.

Furthermore, we see that s must be 2. That is because if s = 1, then s + 1 = 2. We can see that if both speeds are 2 mph or less, then the average speed can never be 2.8 mph. A similar situation exists if s = 3 (or more), and s + 1 = 4 (or more). We can see that if both speeds are 3 mph or greater, then the average speed again can never be 2.8 mph. Therefore, s must be 2 since it given that it’s an integer. Therefore, his “sunny” speed is 2 mph, and his “cloudy” speed is 3 mph.

Since (total distance)/(total time) = average speed, we have:

d/[x/2 + (d - x)/3] = 2.8

d/2.8 = x/2 + (d - x)/3

Multiplying the equation by 84, we have:

30d = 42x + 28(d - x)

30d = 42x + 28d - 28x

2d = 14x

2/14 = x/d

1/7 = x/d

Answer: E
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Don't fall for the trap! This problem is A LOT easier than many of the mathematical solutions in this forum seem to show. You just need to visualize what is happening, and use the leverage the problem gives you to strategically attack the question. It isn't about the math. Remember: the GMAT is a critical-thinking test. For those of you studying for the GMAT, you will want to internalize strategies that actually minimize the amount of math that needs to be done, making it easier to manage your time (giving you more time for harder questions.) The tactics I will show you here will be useful for numerous questions, not just this one. My solution is going to walk through not just what the answer is, but how to strategically think about it. Ready? Let's talk strategy here. Here is the full "GMAT Jujitsu" for this question:

Let's start with the embedded leverage. The phrase "\(s\) is an integer" is what makes this entire problem tick. If the only two rates that Derek can travel are \(s\) and \(s+1\), then the average rate must be between \(s\) and \(s+1\). Since the question clearly states that his "average speed for the entire distance is 2.8 miles/hr," then \(s=2\) and \(s+1 = 3\).

Using a strategy I call in my classes "Weight Balancing", it is easy to determine the ratio between \(s\) and \(s+1\). The attached image below shows what it looks like. Since \(2.8\) is closer to \(3\), this means that the average is weighted towards the \(3\). The distances from the average give us the ratio.
Attachment:
WeightBalancing.png
WeightBalancing.png [ 11.6 KiB | Viewed 2239 times ]

Thus, Derek walks back at a ratio of \(0.8:0.2\) or \(4:1\). It is cloudy 4 times as much as it is sunny. (Sounds like Derek lives in on the Oregon Coast!) :)

Since we have the ratio of time, it is very easy to determine the distance, since Distance = Rate * Time.

The distance traveled while it is sunny is: \(D = RT = 2*1x = 2x\)
The distance traveled while it is cloudy is: \(D = RT = 3*4x = 12x\)
(Note: I am including the scaling factor, "\(x\)" in these calculations to show we are dealing with a ratio of unknown amounts, but as you will see, the scaling factor will disappear...)

Since the problem asks us for the fraction of the total distance that Derek covered while the sun was shining on him, this would be:
\(\frac{2x}{2x+12x}=\frac{2x}{14x} = \frac{1}{7}\)

The answer is "E".

Now, for those of you that are preparing to take the GMAT, let’s look back at this problem through the lens of strategy. Your job as you study isn't to memorize the solutions to specific questions; it is to internalize strategic patterns that allow you to solve large numbers of questions. This problem can teach us patterns seen throughout the GMAT. First, whenever the problem gives us leverage such as the word "integer", PAY ATTENTION. This is often a hint that you will be using logic as much as math. This solution also uses a strategy I call in my classes "Weight Balancing." The idea is simple: whenever you are given an "average" value between two groups, see if it might be useful to know the ratio between the groups. In the case of this problem, that ratio is what allows you to solve the problem quickly and efficiently without any unnecessary math. And that is how you think like the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM