Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [35]
Given Kudos: 1186
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: God's Kindness: From 570 to 710 - In a month n a week! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Yale, Chicago Booth, ISB, Said (Oxford), MIT Sloan, Kelloggs - how to go about things? Also, what are the scholarships for international students? Is it true that the total cost would go upto some INR 2 crore+. Is there an ROI that justifies that kind of investment? Please do help guys, keeping the whole picture in your mind. I can always send my CV via email if someone can help me out

I would not count on any scholarships from a top 20 school. The only reason they may issue you one, is if you are an amazingly unique candidate and they feel the program would benefit from your presence. Pretty arrogant but true. A few folks get scholarships that are a part of an under-represented group (e.g. Women with military experience)

As to your score, it is on the good but below average side for most of those schools (except Said).
The total cost has been discussed many times, and is very straightforward. it is 100-120K for tuition + your lifestyle which will be $50K on the low side and $100K on the OK side over 2 years. You can try to get away with less by working during school but it is harder... some schools do offer loans without cosigners - there has been a discussion on that here: loan-programs-for-international-students-w-o-us-co-signer-135745-20.html#p1264015
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Quote:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Yale, Chicago Booth, ISB, Said (Oxford), MIT Sloan, Kelloggs - how to go about things? Also, what are the scholarships for international students? Is it true that the total cost would go upto some INR 2 crore+. Is there an ROI that justifies that kind of investment? Please do help guys, keeping the whole picture in your mind. I can always send my CV via email if someone can help me out

I would not count on any scholarships from a top 20 school. The only reason they may issue you one, is if you are an amazingly unique candidate and they feel the program would benefit from your presence. Pretty arrogant but true. A few folks get scholarships that are a part of an under-represented group (e.g. Women with military experience)

As to your score, it is on the good but below average side for most of those schools (except Said).
The total cost has been discussed many times, and is very straightforward. it is 100-120K for tuition + your lifestyle which will be $50K on the low side and $100K on the OK side over 2 years. You can try to get away with less by working during school but it is harder... some schools do offer loans without cosigners - there has been a discussion on that here: loan-programs-for-international-students-w-o-us-co-signer-135745-20.html#p1264015

Thanks bb, this really really helps. I will research it up. As for the IR, I think I'll speak to some schools directly as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [2]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Brilliant debrief Akshay and heartiest congratulations to you :). Quite an amazing journey you had, Have my GMAT in 10 days needed a debrief like this to get going. As for the IR score, I have attended the ISB seminar online as well as in person, they are very clear they are not considering IR score. With regards to other school, visit the school threads to find more about scores acceptance and ask the official representative at GMATclub.

A V40 in verbal in quite an uphill from a V28, I started with a similar V28 and now I am at V35-36 in mocks, have taken the e-gmat verbal online course, these guys are good. My SC accuracy is in dumps even after doing more than 700-800 sums and reading all explanations :(. Would be great if you could give some tips on SC.

All the Best with your apps mate.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
farhanc85 wrote:
Brilliant debrief Akshay and heartiest congratulations to you :). Quite an amazing journey you had, Have my GMAT in 10 days needed a debrief like this to get going. As for the IR score, I have attended the ISB seminar online as well as in person, they are very clear they are not considering IR score. With regards to other school, visit the school threads to find more about scores acceptance and ask the official representative at GMATclub.

A V40 in verbal in quite an uphill from a V28, I started with a similar V28 and now I am at V35-36 in mocks, have taken the e-gmat verbal online course, these guys are good. My SC accuracy is in dumps even after doing more than 700-800 sums and reading all explanations :(. Would be great if you could give some tips on SC.

All the Best with your apps mate.

Thank you so much for your words, really appreciate them. All the more, your ISB info really helps me heave a sigh of relief :)

Coming to the important part, I think you're doing really well in the mocks at the moment, scale this score even higher. I see a V43-44 potential already, so work toward that! I a sure egmat is fantastic, since I had some really fantastic learnings from the free stuff they had. The pre-thinking bit in CR is what I applied all through.

For SC, PM me your email id, and I'll send you the SC pdf I've mentioned in my debrief. More than that, I focused on doing the 700+ SC questions on GMAT Club, as much as I could. This helped me get better and better. It takes me 2+ minutes to evaluate a CR argument, so saving up via doing SCs under a minute really helped. Besides that, in case you feel you need any other kind of advice, feel free to call me, I'll drop in my number visa a PM.

And I am sure you'll rock it, expecting a 750 from you, go for the kill!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.28
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Very good score, Akashay :D.
Would you mind to share your practice score (MGMAT, GMATPrep) with details in Q and V?

All the best come to your application :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
That is an awesome improvement, Congrats on your score ...

I have PM'd you my email ID please forward me the NOVA RC and SC notes you have ...

Best of Luck for your Apps.

Regards,
Abhinav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
lequanftu26 wrote:
Very good score, Akashay :D.
Would you mind to share your practice score (MGMAT, GMATPrep) with details in Q and V?

All the best come to your application :D

Thanks for your words mate. As I described in the debrief, I just gave the free MGMAT, where the focus was on Verbal and I did Quant in an untimed way, managing just 16-17 questions. I remember it was V30.

Besides this, I gave 3 mocks in total:

GMAT Prep 1 - 18 August - 570 (Q40, V28)

GMAT Prep 1 (again) - 14th September - 700 (Q47, V38)

GMAT Prep 2 - 23rd September - 680 (Q44, V38)

As I mentioned earlier, I saw 4-5 repeats in V and 3-4 in Q while giving the GMAT prep 1 again and GMAT Prep 2. Also, I had given the Veritas free mock, where I scored a 530 (V18, Q44) - but I have this after studying for 12 hours. Though I believe this was a shocker to me, coming ten days before the exam, and motivated me to gear up on the basics again.

Consider giving a Kudos, if my posts help you :-D

Originally posted by akshaychaturvedi007 on 03 Oct 2013, 09:33.
Last edited by akshaychaturvedi007 on 18 Oct 2013, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
abhinav11 wrote:
That is an awesome improvement, Congrats on your score ...

I have PM'd you my email ID please forward me the NOVA RC and SC notes you have ...

Best of Luck for your Apps.

Regards,
Abhinav

Thanks Abhinav, sharing the requested resources and a few others right away. Wish you all the very best, I am sure you'll ace it! Let me know if I can be of any help at any pont of time, cheers.

Consider giving kudos, if my posts help you ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shraddhasahoo wrote:
Many many congrats to u....need a help can u plz share ur sc notes :)......thanks in advance .....

Posted from my mobile device

No problems Shraddha, just drop me a pm with your email id, will send 'em to you.

Consider giving kudos, if my posts help ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi Akshay,

As i was going through ur debrief, I could actually see myself in ur position and feel my heart burning and pounding with the same anxiety as urs...Just needed a few tips, my exam is due this November, have written 2 mock tests so far(Veritas and Princeton), but never paid much heed to AWA. The first mock test(veritas) got me an IR of 6 and Q-38,V-30. The second mock test(princeton) got me an IR of 5 and Q-40,V-30 again. SC is pretty fine for me I feel as I get around 11 to 12 questions correct out of 13 and CR gets me around 10 to 11 correct questions on 14. What I am worried about are the assumption questions in CR, did you get any of those assumption questions in ur exam. Secondly, which mock test more or less has its standards similar to the actual GMAT because like you said, you found the questions pretty difficult and different from the ones you had taken in the mock tests. I just wanted to know the mock tests that have their standard of questions similar to the gmat.

Congratulations once again. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Congrats on the score! Great job! For your IR, It sounds like you rushed through it since you got a 0% as a result you got a stamina boost of 30 points. Did you have a lot of time left over? You may want to check with the schools that you are considering how they look at 0%
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Heartiest congratulations on your score Akshay!!!! Sent you PM, please advice whenever you have time
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ESMT FT'16
GMAT 1: 420 Q32 V16
GMAT 2: 440 Q39 V14
Send PM
Congratulations to you !I am a broken heart after getting 420 in the first GMAT :(...I was terribly under prepared and better to say I was not prepared at all.

Gearing up again for the retake and your debrief acted as fuel ...Way to go..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Ashay, thank you for the debrief!
Congrats!! Your debrief made my day!
I'm struggling with verbal now and your words are very helpful!..
I'm using too many resources now and don't see an improvement actually, so maybe I will follow you and concentrate on official GMAT resources. Also working in a Big4 and can imagine how it's difficult to study and work over hours.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V33
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
minkathebest wrote:
Congrats on the score! Great job! For your IR, It sounds like you rushed through it since you got a 0% as a result you got a stamina boost of 30 points. Did you have a lot of time left over?

Interesting observation.
I want to further ask whether you had many questions in quant in your stronger areas and vice-versa?
Congrats on the score. But i want to remind people, this may not work out for everyone.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I read your comments and this motivated me to accelerate the process of my study. I think your suggestions will be helpful. Will be appreacite if you send me your notes for all 3 verbal sections and study schedule, if possible, and advice me how to improve my score within 3 weeks: what I must to do, from what to start, any links in gamtclub regarding database.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to your comments (as above), have had a very hard day at work. Have sent the requested material and a lot of other stuff that I found important to about 18-20 of you who PMed me. However, a lot of people forgot to put down their email address - you can just PM me that and I'll send the material your way asap.

Additionally, to many of you who wanted to speak, I've dropped down my number. My apologies, I am in the middle of a 6 day conference and hence my days are ending only at midnight. Nevertheless, as mentioned, I'll try and take all your calls between 4 to 7pm this Sunday itself.

And yes, I am sure all of you are going to rock it, and do far better than I did! Wishing you the very best, please do share you r success stories soon, I'm sure they are on their way :D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts