Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Insead September 2014 Intake- Calling all applicants [#permalink]
unileeds wrote:
Shevs wrote:
Hi,

As I mentioned earlier, I had applied to INSEAD for the August 2014 intake but got this response:

The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course.
Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.
Congratulations and welcome to the worldwide INSEAD community!
Admissions Requirements
As your admission to the programme is conditional on you gaining additional work experience, please provide an update on any new aspects of your professional, international, academic or personal profile. This information will need to be sent to your Admissions Officer by 1 June, 2015

I have been trying to understand what exactly this means but have not been able to get through anyone in a similar situation. as anyone received a deferred admit before? What does this mean? Is this an almost-admit? I don't mind waiting another year (it in fact fits in better in the long run) but I want to know what my chances of getting reject next year are? What should I do? I am confused and re-evaluating my plan considering the position I am in. Please let me know if you have or if you know someone who has been admitted conditionally - would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Very interesting. I would say (in my opinion) it is an admit. All they want from you is to
- Continue your current work profile (basic direction) for another year.
- Update them of any changes for example, if you lose your job, or change it. Any qualifications you might go for, or if you end up in prison or anything like that.

I would ask the admissions coordinator for clarity though. I would also ask her if you can pay the deposit NOW, so the seat is yours for sure. That way both of you get committed (If you want INSEAD for sure.

Thanks unileed! That is helpful. It does sound like an admit but I haven't allowed myself to feel happy about it since it is not a confirmation. I have scheduled a telephonic chat with my coordinator next week to better understand this. Shall clarify these doubts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have scheduled a call with the admission committee next week and am going to ask the following questions. Thought I would post it here for future reference, if someone is in a similar situation in the future (I have been searching for info and can't find much)..

1. On what criteria was the admit deferred? Was it purely on the number of years of work-ex or any other criterion?

2. What will I have to submit next year to confirm the admit? A letter with the new aspects of my professional, international, academic or personal profile or a letter of recommendation or a certification or something else?

3. What does "admission to the programme is conditional on me gaining additional work experience" mean? What will be the evaluation criteria in June 2015? What is expected out of me and how should I enhance my work-ex or profile?

4. I will be paying my deposit in November 2014; what are my chances of rejection in June 2015? What about the deposit then? Will it be refunded?

Shall post the responses after my call.

Also, if anyone else has suggestions to any other pertinent questions then please let me know.. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Shevs wrote:
Hi!

Got a confirmed but deferred admit - for Singapore starting in Aug 2015 - on Friday evening. Haven't heard of one like that before so was confused and am processing the implications.

Anyway, details of my profile are - GMAT 740, physiotherapist by training, working in the healthcare delivery space, work ex - 2.5 years (in this regard, the email from HS read - The Admissions Committee has decided that you need to gain at least one more year of professional experience before attending the INSEAD MBA programme. This additional experience would better prepare you for the course. Consequently, on behalf of the Admissions Committee, it is my great pleasure to offer you a place in the INSEAD MBA Class of July 2016, starting in Singapore on 24 August 2015.)

Congratulations to all who got in, good luck to those wait-listed and for those not selected - it's difficult to fathom the reasons in the short-run, but it's all for the best in the long run ! :)

Wow I've never seen that before but i'm 99.9% sure it's because of your WE and that you've been accepted not withstanding some super unlikely circumstances (i.e. you lose your job and are unemployed for an entire year). Your profile must be very good and they deem you as a great candidate but your work experience is on the lower end of their spectrum. Most candidates have atleast 5 years WE although they have been known to admit a few stellar candidates with much less than that. See it as a positive! Now you have 1 more year to earn some extra money knowing you have a guarantee to a great MBA program in a year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Shevs wrote:
I have scheduled a call with the admission committee next week and am going to ask the following questions. Thought I would post it here for future reference, if someone is in a similar situation in the future (I have been searching for info and can't find much)..

1. On what criteria was the admit deferred? Was it purely on the number of years of work-ex or any other criterion?

2. What will I have to submit next year to confirm the admit? A letter with the new aspects of my professional, international, academic or personal profile or a letter of recommendation or a certification or something else?

3. What does "admission to the programme is conditional on me gaining additional work experience" mean? What will be the evaluation criteria in June 2015? What is expected out of me and how should I enhance my work-ex or profile?

4. I will be paying my deposit in November 2014; what are my chances of rejection in June 2015? What about the deposit then? Will it be refunded?

Also, if anyone else has suggestions to any other pertinent questions then please let me know.. Thanks!

Relax. Don't lose your job. Save some money. Travel around. Enjoy family and friends. Book your flight to Singapore. Unless you screw up real bad (or choose not to attend), you're in. Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Total count on MBAConnect pls?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
LScorpio wrote:
Total count on MBAConnect pls?

335 registered
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Black Hawk Down: a soldier’s journey from the frontline to INSEAD

INSEAD Blog Series on Diversity

At INSEAD, we put diversity at the heart. As most of us already have come to know, the 14J class is an extraordinary mix of vibrant, inspirational and exceptional people.

This is the sixth article in a blog series, that aims to capture some of the diversity that exists in abundance at INSEAD. It will profile some of our most distinctive class members, asking them to share their unique stories about life, moments of joy, but most importantly about their hopes and dreams.

So, sixth out in our profile series is…..

Rohan Pasricha
Nationality: Indian / American

3 quickies
If you had a superpower, which one would it be?

I would stop military conflicts all around the world.

If you were a sportsman…

I would be Sachin Tendulkar, cricketer in India, because he has been carrying the expectations of 1.2bn people for 20 years. That is some pressure to handle!

When not in class, we can find you?

On a beach or mountaintop in a random country

Holiday in the Alps

1. From Black Hawk in the US Army to INSEAD, your background is quite different from most students in business school. Tell us how your professional career to date has led you to business school. 

I was born and spent my childhood growing up in India. My father was employed by a government agency that worked with the army, and so, my family moved to Jammu & Kashmir. From a young age, I was exposed to the army, but my parents never encouraged me to join the forces. At the age of 18, I moved to the United States to undertake a degree in engineering. The plan was all along to get a corporate job after graduation, but so, something happened that changed my life forever.

On 26 November, Mumbai was struck by twelve coordinated shooting and bombing attacks lasting four days, leaving 164 people dead and wounding more than 300 people. I was in the United States when it happened, but my grandparents and lots of family friends experienced the terror on the ground in Mumbai. My mother and maternal grandparents are from Mumbai.

I felt so angry, so frustrated that innocent people would fall victim for such cruelty and evil. Many of my Pakistani friends, even though they had nothing to do with the terrorist organisation and lived peaceful lives in harmony with other religions, felt so embarrassed. This caused a lot of strain on the civilian communities, and I felt so hopeless about the situation I had to speak up.

I wrote an open letter to a terrorist, and posted it on my Facebook page. My main message was that religion should not be used as an excuse for terrorists to propagate and force their views on innocent people. I wrote:

“You attacked a nation where a lady of catholic origin sacrifices the post of prime minister for a Sikh man who takes his oath under a Muslim President to govern a nation of 80% Hindus”.

The blog went viral; a journalist from FOX News picked up that article and contacted me for an interview. The interview was aired on television and seen by a recruiter from the US Army. Soon thereafter, I found myself with a job offer to join the American troops.

Ceremony at US Army

In the beginning I was a bit skeptical, but also very excited. I knew it was the right thing to do. I could have an impact on justice and evil in the world, and the safety of my fellow country men.

So I finished my degree, and upon graduation joined the forces. I did my Basic Combat Training in Fort Knox in Kentucky, and was then trained as an aircraft electrician on Black Hawk and Chinook Helicopters.

After the training, I was deployed to Germany followed by other countries.

This time was the best of my life so far. I met people from all over the world and when not on duty, I could discover the world.

My contract with the army was for four years. Nine months away from finishing, I decided it was the time to make the transition to a future in business. There is a danger with staying in the army for too long. In an environment controlled by so many rules, you can lose touch with the civilian aspects of life, even simple things like how to dress in anything apart from the uniform.

The army helps you integrate back into society and as such, they supported me in my application to INSEAD.

2. Straight from the army to business school, how did you experience the transition?

I literally had 10 days between handing in my uniform and welcome week at INSEAD. Calling the transition a shock is an understatement.

How I used to dress and drive…

I came from an environment where the rules for how you interact, behave and even speak with people are clearly defined. I was used to saluting people as a greeting, and call everybody by their surname. At INSEAD, there were very few rules of engagement, and in the beginning it was difficult to navigate the social landscape. There was nobody there to give or receive orders. I had to adjust the tone of my voice and even practice shaking hands.

I remember people calling “Rohan!” and I didn’t realize they were calling for me, as I am so used to respond to my surname only. Also, the first time I got cold-called in class, I said “Yes, sir!” in response to the professor.

As with anything, if you stay open, you adapt to a new environment. Once a soldier, always a soldier, but I feel much more relaxed now and have integrated well. At INSEAD, people don’t judge you because of your background, rather the opposite. 

Travels with INSEAD

3. What was your most significant learning experience from your time with the US Army?

In the army, you really learn what it means to take responsibility. I grew up in India in a home with helpers, and I never even cooked my own food or did my own laundry. In the army, all responsibility is on you.

You wake up at 0500 hrs every day for 2.5 hours of exercise, regardless of whether you feel tired or sick. There is no room for slack.

In addition, you learn what it means to be responsible and accountable for other people. If my juniors, and I had 30 of them, ever did something wrong, I would have to take the blame. A soldier’s action can have an impact on many people far beyond their immediate platoon and the army. Their families and friends and local civilians are all affected by the hardships of war. These are the true heroes and sometimes also victims of war. With every decision, you need to make sure you can live with the consequences.

Once a soldier, always a soldier

As a result, the army sets high standards for its soldiers, which go beyond time on duty. Your lifestyle becomes one of a soldier. Even when you are off duty, you represent the US army.

This is the biggest difference between the army and other civilian jobs; you are always accountable to your boss, even when you are on holiday.

4. We are often told that corporates can learn from the effective leadership style developed in the army. What makes somebody a good leader?

A good leader in the army is somebody who leads by example. A leader that risks his own life for his soldiers and puts himself in the frontline gets the most respect. My commander always used to say: “I will always be the first person to enter the field, and I will always be the last person to leave.”

As a combat leader, your soldiers rely on you. In addition, you carry the trust of their families. You don’t want to live with the guilt of having made the wrong decisions, as they can have dire consequences. As a result, decision-making in the army is a very effective, rational process and I will definitely incorporate some of that thinking when I move into my post-INSEAD career.

Last day with the US Army

5. Having seen Band of Brothers, it is incredible how strong the relationships between the soldiers are; they would literally die for each other. What was your experience of building relationships with people?

When you first join the army, you are absolutely oblivious to what you signed up for. During the first training, you realise how incredibly important it is to work together for survival.

For example, one of the ways that solidarity is fostered is during training, where if somebody makes a mistake, everybody in the platoon pays for it. One morning during Basic Combat Training, I arrived a few seconds late for our morning session. As a result, the punishment was that nobody in the platoon of 35 people got to eat breakfast that day.

When you do 20 hours of combat training every day, you only sleep 4 hours per night and you get exactly two minutes for breakfast, missing one meal is a high price to pay. When I made that mistake, I felt disgusted. I had let all my friends down. Nevertheless, seven of the guys came up to me and said “Don’t worry, we will be fine”.

This forces you to think about others and put other people first. I became very close to my men during my four years of service. Still today, I could pick up the phone and tell my soldiers I need them. Without even questioning, they would be on the next flight en route Singapore in the matter of hours.

This bond is critical for a platoon to function effectively in combat. An action taken by one soldier can have such an impact on other people, decisions you make can determine who gets to live or not. You need that level of solidarity to keep you going when times get tough.

6. The army can send you to combat with three days notice. How has this prepared you to deal with change and uncertainty?

In the army, you can be woken up in the middle of the night to get sent out on a mission. “We need to move, we have to walk 20 km, get ready in 30 minutes”. Eventually you lose the fear of pretty much anything. This lifestyle has enabled me to deal with sudden changes in a remarkable way. For example, last weekend I had planned a trip to Indonesia, but had to cancel last minute because my visa did not come through. My classmates were very upset, but I didn’t feel affected by the negative news or the monetary loss from having booked flights.

I can deal with loss very well; I have very little attachment to material things and am not scared of losing them. As long as I have myself, I know I will be okay.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Domrep wrote:

Wow I've never seen that before but i'm 99.9% sure it's because of your WE and that you've been accepted not withstanding some super unlikely circumstances (i.e. you lose your job and are unemployed for an entire year). Your profile must be very good and they deem you as a great candidate but your work experience is on the lower end of their spectrum. Most candidates have atleast 5 years WE although they have been known to admit a few stellar candidates with much less than that. See it as a positive! Now you have 1 more year to earn some extra money knowing you have a guarantee to a great MBA program in a year.

Thank you for the response. Since I was applying to B school, I had worked out a contract with my employer till July 2014. I am preparing myself for the discussion to extend it now. Hopefully it will work out (at least till Feb 2015). Fingers crossed :)

I am not in a rush to finish my MBA and 18 months gives me time to prepare for the MBA - learn a language, take some courses in finance online since I do not have a background, and definitely save some money. Just that there are many variables between now and Aug '15 but I guess one must learn to relish the uncertainties in life. For now I am happy to me "conditionally accepted" to one of the best schools in the world :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:

Relax. Don't lose your job. Save some money. Travel around. Enjoy family and friends. Book your flight to Singapore. Unless you screw up real bad (or choose not to attend), you're in. Congrats!

Thanks, bizwiz84. That sounds like a fun plan :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
So a bit off topic here, I am wondering once you sign up to MBA connect, do you get your username and password sent immediately? It has been 24hrs and no word on the password yet...? Also did anyone send their original transcripts yet? Do you know the best way to send them? Are there any "certified copy" options available?
I know this info is around somewhere, but I just wanted to check if anyone had ideas here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
unileeds wrote:
So a bit off topic here, I am wondering once you sign up to MBA connect, do you get your username and password sent immediately? It has been 24hrs and no word on the password yet...? Also did anyone send their original transcripts yet? Do you know the best way to send them? Are there any "certified copy" options available?
I know this info is around somewhere, but I just wanted to check if anyone had ideas here.

I had the same problem, registered on a Friday and didn't get anything all weekend. Didn't make sense to me (it should be automated) so I tried again on Monday (Fontainebleau was still sleeping) and it worked - got my username and password a few minutes later. Give it another shot.

Haven't sent my original transcripts yet. I'm in a bit of a bind - my university can't send the transcripts in time to meet the deadline, so I guess I'll have to send my only original copy over. Can't get a copy certified either - university's in London, I'm in Malaysia. But you can send in an "officially certified hardcopy" (by the school, I reckon).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
shakirahatta wrote:
unileeds wrote:

I had the same problem, registered on a Friday and didn't get anything all weekend. Didn't make sense to me (it should be automated) so I tried again on Monday (Fontainebleau was still sleeping) and it worked - got my username and password a few minutes later. Give it another shot.

Haven't sent my original transcripts yet. I'm in a bit of a bind - my university can't send the transcripts in time to meet the deadline, so I guess I'll have to send my only original copy over. Can't get a copy certified either - university's in London, I'm in Malaysia. But you can send in an "officially certified hardcopy" (by the school, I reckon).

Well I click on the link now and it just asks for login details. Using the contact Us button to ask them what is happening. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
hi shevs, i got that response from them too. i spoke with SH for a few minutes--she said that it's a new program that they are testing bc they are receiving more young students that they'd like to keep from going to other schools--i appreciate the compliment, but what's the real story here?

i'm surprised that they're asking for the deposit so early (nov 2014 for sep 2015 start), but INSEAD is my top choice, so I'll probably be taking their "conditional" offer.

please do let me know how you're conversation goes. i'm curious too about how "conditional" the offer is--sounds to me like it's more solid than a waitlist, but i'd like to confirm that before choosing to not attend the other schools that i was admitted to.

would love to hear from previous/current students (if there have been any) about this program.

i'm also thinking that i may prefer the january start for the internship possibility, but pushing the mba back to a december 2016 graduation seems hard. would it be inappropriate to ask if they'll consider me for jan 2015 start?

Shevs wrote:

Manager
Manager
Send PM
that is very strange. if this were to happen to me, my employer would have fired me. My line manager already knows i applied as he gave me a reference. i told him i will confirm in march if i am to go for my mba. he has already started succession planning. never can i imagine that he would let me hang around at the firm for 1 whole year knowing that i would resign after a year. i dont think any commercial minded line manager would do that. Sometimes these business schools dont realize how they risk the jobs of candidates. Wait is one thing, but sometime their options are really difficult to handle. i am now waitlisted, which means i cant confirm to my line manager until august. but i know that he has already advertised a new job for a sept 2014 start, which means irrespective of my INSEAD offer i am now going to lose my job unless i can confirm my decision by July. this is so scary now, because if i dont make it to INSEAD, i'lllose my job. Why business schools have the right to put candidates in such life distorting situations is beyond me. I have retired parents to fund, and a brother in university. And now i have already started looking for new jobs in case i don't get an MBA and my successor is hired.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
that is very strange. if this were to happen to me, my employer would have fired me. My line manager already knows i applied as he gave me a reference. i told him i will confirm in march if i am to go for my mba. he has already started succession planning. never can i imagine that he would let me hang around at the firm for 1 whole year knowing that i would resign after a year. i dont think any commercial minded line manager would do that. Sometimes these business schools dont realize how they risk the jobs of candidates. Wait is one thing, but sometime their options are really difficult to handle. i am now waitlisted, which means i cant confirm to my line manager until august. but i know that he has already advertised a new job for a sept 2014 start, which means irrespective of my INSEAD offer i am now going to lose my job unless i can confirm my decision by July. this is so scary now, because if i dont make it to INSEAD, i'lllose my job. Why business schools have the right to put candidates in such life distorting situations is beyond me. I have retired parents to fund, and a brother in university. And now i have already started looking for new jobs in case i don't get an MBA and my successor is hired.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
rarya wrote:

Thank you for the post. I definitely feel some of the frustration since I am in the same boat. I am also waitlisted.. so I am not only waiting on the school but my career is on hold as well, as management is hesitant to invest more in me as there's a risk of me leaving if I were to get accepted...

I hope everything works out for you (and me) and it will all be worth it in the end!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Can someone update the mba connect's total count and indians count? thx
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  48   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert