Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Re: Georgetown McDonough vs. USC Marshall [#permalink]
Kudos
If California is at all on your mind, you can't beat USC. I had a similar decision with several other tempting offers but admit weekend really sealed the deal. I'm actually a bigger fan of being downtown LA adjacent than in Georgetown as far as being in an area with diversity in a number of regards. It's pretty astounding what USC has done for the Exposition Park area and its actually one of the reasons I prefer SC to GT.

That said, they are both great schools and if we're talking facilities, Georgetown blew every school I was accepted to out of the water in this regard.

Ultimately it was the USC experience and network that sold me on Marshall. I agree that admissions could use some work (and possibly had some shifts occurs internally this year), but I know that my experience as a student is what I'm mainly using to make my decision. Ideally I would like to be in NYC or California in which case SC dominates the California scene and Georgetown does ok in NYC. When you bring about the prestige game on the East Coast most people think of GT as a bit of an up an comer and not an established name. USC hasn't been doing too hot as of lately but the success and extent of their alumni nearly eliminates this recent (and I'm confident temporary) lapse in ranking.

As was mentioned earlier on this thread, I would think of them as peer schools.

You have great options and getting off any waitlist is reason to celebrate. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, I went to the admit weekends for both schools. Overall I felt the SC incoming class felt a little more put together and that the university wide resources made Marshall the winner for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Georgetown McDonough vs. USC Marshall [#permalink]
Kudos
christinemmx86 wrote:
most people think of GT as a bit of an up an comer. USC hasn't been doing too hot as of lately.

That should be enough right there for you to make your decision (unless you're dead set on CA). In life, we are ALL driven by perception. USC's perception over the last couple of years has been mixed at best and right now they are #27, fighting to stay in the top 30. Georgetown on the other hand? Nothing but positive. Read news articles about both schools' programs and you'll see the difference. For example, take a look at the comments in this latest Poets and Quants article: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/06/04/ap ... s-schools/. Half the comments section is about Georgetown. It's pretty clear that Georgetown, currently ranked at #23, is trending up with eyes on a top 20 ranking in the near future. Can USC leapfrog them? Sure, but I've seen nothing yet to suggest they will. Maybe it's all marketing. If so, Georgetown is doing a damn good job at it and we can all learn from that. Best of luck I'm out!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
brentl23 wrote:
christinemmx86 wrote:
most people think of GT as a bit of an up an comer. USC hasn't been doing too hot as of lately.

That should be enough right there for you to make your decision (unless you're dead set on CA). In life, we are ALL driven by perception. USC's perception over the last couple of years has been mixed at best and right now they are #27, fighting to stay in the top 30. Georgetown on the other hand? Nothing but positive. Read news articles about both schools' programs and you'll see the difference. For example, take a look at the comments in this latest Poets and Quants article: https://poetsandquants.com/2014/06/04/ap ... s-schools/. Half the comments section is about Georgetown. It's pretty clear that Georgetown, currently ranked at #23, is trending up with eyes on a top 20 ranking in the near future. Can USC leapfrog them? Sure, but I've seen nothing yet to suggest they will. Maybe it's all marketing. If so, Georgetown is doing a damn good job at it and we can all learn from that. Best of luck I'm out!

I certainly won't discount the reality of what I said and you pointed out :wink:

I will add that after visiting admit events at both schools I got the distinct sense that Marshall had a sound plan of rebounding. Ultimately it was their employment statistics that brought them down. It stems from a number of things: 1. heavy entertainment placement (they don't hire on a rankings friendly schedule) 2. a transition in their career office (new dean from NYU Stern) 3. students desire to remain in California (rankings show the number of employed students, not the # of offers they had. tabling an offer and waiting equates to unemployed).

In rankings, Marshall has a higher peer assessment score (the score given to schools by deans of other business schools) reflecting a slight advantage in regards to the perceived prestige and strength of USC in the eyes of the business school community. Let's say USC returns to its typical employment numbers and then it does indeed leapfrog Georgetown. Not by a large margin though.

I share this only because I wouldn't have considered Marshall until I did the research and looked deeply into the program. Georgetown has a lot going for it and I wouldn't have applied there had I not been considering them. You can't lose with either but I thought I'd share my story from my perspective.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
@christinemmx86: All valid points. If he really wants to go the IB route, though, he almost has to choose Georgetown. It would be like me saying I want to work in entertainment for NBC, but then choosing Georgetown over USC. That wouldn't make sense!

By the way, I highly respect you for choosing USC over UCLA as not many people would turn down a top 15 school for USC. That takes some serious guts! I looked into UCLA as well and found its program to be less than exciting (I don't think they even have a mandatory international component/trip like many of the other top business schools). So, major props for doing that!

California is still the place to be, but just keep in mind the tax rate for all those $100,000 salaries and any debt you might be accumulating. Does the lifestyle make up for it? Quite possibly. I might end up back out there but with a lighter wallet for sure :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the input. Both of you are making very valid points, which makes this a difficult choice for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
@Brentl23 I can't speak enough to how much I appreciate you. It's hard finding people that aren't ranking obsessed or die hard/do or die fans of their schools on some of these posts. I'm sad we won't be classmates but pleased to think it very well almost may have happened.

That's what I will say is interesting about pursuing a program outside the Top 10 (and also the Top 20 that eternally think they belong in the Top 10). You find people who are often humbled to be in a respected program without the ego that comes from particular names/brands. I went to a "prestigious" university for undergrad and was over the explicit and implicit superiority exuded by some (not all!) of my classmates.

Admit days were very interesting experiences. You saw first hand what schools thought of themselves and in some ways what it then expected its students to think of themselves. That's when I parted ways with UCLA and abruptly so. I thought it was ironic how Haas was the total opposite and sold themselves on genuineness. It was a hard decision between Haas and Marshall for me and understandably a tough one for DoggDetroit.

I think Georgetown is very humble and well deserving of their rise. It was a pleasant admit weekend experience for me. I fell for Marshall but can absolutely relate to someone feeling the same way about Georgetown. Reach out the best you can about IB as it is indeed a tricky field outside of the elite brand bubble.

You have a lot to be proud of with these two options ahead of you. Let us know how it goes and best of luck at GT, Brent. Let me know when you're back in Cali ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Both schools have similarly strong regional networks, and the general perception is that they are on par with one another. I think it really comes down to location and where you want to be post-MBA. Obviously there are GT alumni on the west coast and USC alumni on the east coast, but it's just easier to network closer to your school where there is greater representation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
christinemmx86 wrote:
I thought it was ironic how Haas was the total opposite and sold themselves on genuineness.

You got accepted to Haas as well? Well damn girl! :) They admit so few people. I don't find it ironic at all...just look at where Haas is located - free spirits galore haha But, I've heard a lot about the great culture that Haas has up there...only positive things. Application questions are a bit weird, but hey so is the school haha.

At least 90% of the people I've met during the application process simply go to the highest ranked school. I can only imagine what it's like when they arrive there ("I'm the **** now!"). So, I always like to give praise to those who can see beyond the rankings. You'll be successful no matter where you end up - that's clear. I actually know several people who went to a top 10 school, got a great job afterwards, and then were effectively "fired" because they weren't getting the job done anymore. Funny how no business school mentions these stories, huh? Your school will only take you so far...

Cheers to those of us who don't take ourselves too seriously! :)

Originally posted by brentl23 on 24 Jun 2014, 09:54.
Last edited by brentl23 on 03 Jul 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It was a tough choice for me to make, but I have decided to stick with Georgetown. LA/California will have to wait...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Excellent decision!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts