Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [56]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [25]
Given Kudos: 500
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [13]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [6]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
singhaldheeraj wrote:
Q-Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giantsof the digital age, their contributions recognized by people from all walks of life

A-Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants

B-Bill Gates the Microsoft founder and Steve Jobs the Apple founder are giants

C-The Microsoft founder named Bill Gates and the Apple founder named Steve Jobs are known giants

D-The Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and the Apple founder, Steve Jobs, are giants

E-Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder, and Steve Jobs, the Apple founder, had been giants

Try this one really tricky

and kudos if you like the question

Whats the difference between A and B.

Expanded A.
Founder of Microsoft Bill Gates and founder of Apple Steve Jobs are giants

Expanded B.
Bill Gates founder of the Microsoft and Steve Jobs founder of the Apple are giants
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4596 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants [#permalink]
+1

aAha I learned something new today. I will keep this concept in mind.

Thanks for sharing this question

B/W what's the source of this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants of the digital age, their contributions recognized by people from all walks of life

C-The Microsoft founder named Bill Gates and the Apple founder named Steve Jobs are known giants

D-The Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and the Apple founder, Steve Jobs, are giants

E-Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder, and Steve Jobs, the Apple founder, had been giants

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Bookmarks
Merged similar topic

Use the search button before to post a question

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
singhaldheeraj wrote:
Q-Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giantsof the digital age, their contributions recognized by people from all walks of life

Try this one really tricky

When you narrowed down to A/D ...

D --> Name of founders Bill gates/steve jobs in comma is wrong ...As information is essential We can not put them into comma's,
Usage of comma make sentence structure wise wrong ....

Therefore Left with A although took 2.52 Min :oops:

LS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
+ 1 for question
+1 for explaination.

learned something new today.

Tx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
I don't think you need "The" in front of Microsoft and Apple

You could say, Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft and Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, are ...

This is how I narrow down to (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
souvik101990,abhimahna,gmatNinja Can you please help me understand this construction,I got it wrong and marked D since i thought the non essential information is surrounded by commas in it .Please correct my understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Strategy, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q50 V23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
How the construction in A works need some insight.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
A small aside to this topic.

Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were only co-founders of their companies.
Bill Gates and Paul Allen jointly founded Microsoft in the mid-’70s. Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne founded Apple Inc around the same time. Therefore, choices saying The founder is not appropriate in this topic. Perhaps this is the reason for choosing A, which doesn't use the definite article as the best of the lot.
However, this is a GMAT SC question and therefore there are more important things than factuality, I tentatively suppose.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
A small aside to this topic.

Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were only co-founders of their companies.
Bill Gates and Paul Allen jointly founded Microsoft in the mid-’70s. Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and Ronald Wayne founded Apple Inc around the same time. Therefore, choices saying The founder is not appropriate in this topic. Perhaps this is the reason for choosing A, which doesn't use the definite article as the best of the lot.
However, this is a GMAT SC question and therefore there are more important things than factuality, I tentatively suppose.

Hello, daagh. I am glad our paths have finally crossed. I enjoy reading your posts on finer grammatical issues, and you have plenty of them. I was aware of the group of founders of each company, although I will confess to having forgotten Ronald Wayne. I suppose that in the interest of historical accuracy, I could have said, The one and only Bill Gates who helped found Microsoft... but I guess I just did not see the need. As you know, the GMAT™ does not require background knowledge to answer its questions, so I was just sticking with the material on the screen.

I appreciate the extra info, though. I will have to remember to add Wayne to the conversation if and when the topic comes up in real life.

Cheers,
Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Microsoft founder Bill Gates and Apple founder Steve Jobs are giants [#permalink]
@AndrewN
AndrewN wrote:

E. Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder, and Steve Jobs, the Apple founder, had been giants

Analysis: Nothing is wrong with the punctuation here. Since the appositives follow their respective nouns, again, whether the appositive is restrictive or not, the phrase needs to be surrounded by some sort of punctuation: commas, em dashes (--), or parentheses. The problem here is the verb tense. Why invoke the past perfect tense? Are we to understand that Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have passed on? Even then, a simple were would do in place of had been. You use the past perfect tense to indicate a prior action when a past tense has already been used in the sentence. This particular sentence has no need to reach back further into the past. Red light.

I hope that helps clarify your understanding of the question. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew[/quote]

If we compare D with E, the position of apostrophes is reversing, but in essence the meaning seems similar : The Microsoft/Apple founder --> BlahBlah.
So what actually is difference there between D and E ?
Is there "the" implied in E and the sentence is : [The] Bill Gates, The Microsoft Founder ??
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
penco wrote:
@AndrewN

If we compare D with E, the position of apostrophes is reversing, but in essence the meaning seems similar : The Microsoft/Apple founder --> BlahBlah.
So what actually is difference there between D and E ?
Is there "the" implied in E and the sentence is : [The] Bill Gates, The Microsoft Founder ??

No, penco, you do not introduce a person by name with an article, so the Bill Gates is neither implied nor correct. The difference between (D) and (E) is at the end in how the verb is conjugated: are is fine, had been is not, as discussed in my earlier post. Do not get so caught up in the placement of the appositives that you miss an easier and more often tested point in proper verb conjugation. (D) and (E) are essentially the same until the last few words, even if (D) could be better expressed, more concisely expressed, as (A).

- Andrew
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi experts,

I'm a little unclear on this question. Without outside knowledge, you cannot be certain that there is more than one founder; therefore, I immediately took out A, B, and C. How can we be so sure that we can restrictively modify Microsoft founder and Apple founder?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
gmatyodha wrote:
How the construction in A works need some insight.

Hello, gmatyodha.
singhaldheeraj wrote:
D. The Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and the Apple founder, Steve Jobs, are giants

Analysis: This is an interesting one, a case in which the proper noun follows the appositive but is roped off by double commas. Please note that such a usage is not always incorrect, but it is incorrect if the appositive is restrictive. Since the article used is the, the reader is meant to understand that there was one and only one founder of each company in this sentence. If the article said a instead, then Bill Gates and Steve Jobs would be understood to have contributed as part of a duo or team of founders instead: A Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and an Apple founder, Steve Jobs, are giants.... Since the article used is the, we can eliminate this one on grammatical grounds. Subtle, but a lesson worth learning. Red light.

I hope that helps clarify your understanding of the question. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew

So, in Essence,
if the construction is: A Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and An Apple founder, Steve Jobs, ....
Bill Gates would be essentially called as an appositive as it would be restricting the extent of the following Noun Phrase: A Microsoft Founder ?
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
penco wrote:
So, in Essence,
if the construction is: A Microsoft founder, Bill Gates, and An Apple founder, Steve Jobs, ....
Bill Gates would be essentially called as an appositive as it would be restricting the extent of the following Noun Phrase: A Microsoft Founder ?

Hello, penco. Check out this article on GrammarBook and let me know if the second example does not clarify the matter. It all has to do with whether the information, proper noun or no, is considered essential to the meaning of the sentence.

Happy reading.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Thanks AndrewN for the thorough explanation. However, I am still falling to understand why D is incorrect.
Could you guide me here?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts