Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [26]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [19]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [4]
Send PM
In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
usre123 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
usre123 wrote:
In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" be arranged in such a way that no two vowels are together?

Sorry I don't have an answer to this

Step 1: Separate consonants with 7 empty slots *C*R*P*R*T*N*.

Step 2: 6 consonants CRPRTN can be arranged in 6!/2! ways (6 letters with two R's);

Step 3: we have 5 vowels OOAIO. Choose 5 slots out of 7 for them (this way no two vowels will be together): \(C^5_7\).

Step 4: 5 vowels in their slots can be arranged in 5!/3! ways (5 letters with three O's).

Total = \(\frac{6!}{2!}*C^5_7*\frac{5!}{3!}\).

Thank you so much!

I just wanted to know, there is another way such questions are done: total ways these can be arranged (11!) minus the number of ways in which the vowels are together CRPRTNX where X is all the vowels bunched together. so that's 7!.
So we can have 11!-7!. But I'm not clear where to incorporate the multiple Os and Rs.
Or is this concept completely wrong?

There are several problems with this approach:
1. The number of arrangements of CORPORATION is 11!/(2!*3!) (we should divide by 2! and 3! because of 2 R's and 3 O's there);

2. When you consider the vowels as one units as {OOAIO}, you get 7 units {OOAIO}, {C}, {R}, {P}, {R}, {T}, {N}. The number of arrangements of these 7 units is 7!/2! (again we divide by 2! because of 2 R's). OOAIO within their unit can also be arranged in 5!/3! ways (5 letters with three O's). So, the number of arrangements when vowels are together is 7!/2!*5!/3!.

3. When you subtract the cases when the vowels are together from total ways you don't get the cases where no two vowels are together, you just get the cases when ALL 5 vowels are not together, which is not what we wanted. For example, one of the cases you get would be CORPORATION, where, as you can see, I and O are together.

So, the way you are doing is not a good way to approach this problem.

THEORY

Permutations of \(n\) things of which \(P_1\) are alike of one kind, \(P_2\) are alike of second kind, \(P_3\) are alike of third kind ... \(P_r\) are alike of \(r_{th}\) kind such that: \(P_1+P_2+P_3+..+P_r=n\) is:
\(\frac{n!}{P_1!*P_2!*P_3!*...*P_r!}\)

For example number of permutation of the letters of the word "gmatclub" is \(8!\) as there are 8 DISTINCT letters in this word.

Number of permutation of the letters of the word "google" is \(\frac{6!}{2!2!}\), as there are 6 letters out of which "g" and "o" are represented twice.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Send PM
Re: In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" [#permalink]
Thank you, your explanation is crystal clear, and your ability to solve pretty much any gmat math question is astonishing!
Thank you for taking the time out to answer my queries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" [#permalink]
11! - ( 7! X 5) is the answer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13391 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" [#permalink]
Expert Reply
usre123 wrote:
In how many different ways can the letters of the word "CORPORATION" be arranged in such a way that no two vowels are together?

CORPORATION

C - Used 1 time
O - Used 3 times
R - Used 2 times
P - Used 1 time
A - Used 1 time
T - Used 1 time
I - Used 1 time
N - Used 1 time

Total Letters = 11

Total Vowels (A, E, I, O, U) = 5

Requirement = Vowels anywhere adjacent to consonants C C C C C C

We have 7 places available to vowels but we need only 5

So Total Ways for vowels = 7C5*5!/3!

Total Ways for consonants = 6!/2!

Total POssible arrangements as reqquired = (7C5*5!/3!)*(6!/2!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
usre123 wrote:

Step 2: 6 consonants CRPRTN can be arranged in 6!/2! ways (6 letters with two R's);

Step 3: we have 5 vowels OOAIO. Choose 5 slots out of 7 for them (this way no two vowels will be together): \(C^5_7\).

Step 4: 5 vowels in their slots can be arranged in 5!/3! ways (5 letters with three O's).

I don't understand Step 3. Please explain. We have 5 vowels and 5 places, why are we choosing 5 out of 7 slots for them?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheMastermind wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
usre123 wrote:

I don't understand Step 3. Please explain. We have 5 vowels and 5 places, why are we choosing 5 out of 7 slots for them?

No two vowels must be together. If 5 vowels take places of *'s in *C*R*P*R*T*N*, then no two vowels will be together. There are 7 *'s so the number of ways we can do this is \(C^5_7\).

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
usre123 wrote:

I am a bit confused here.We have to select 5 out of 7 blank spaces or '*' in this case.Why will it be \(C^5_7\) . Should it not be the other way round as in 7C5?
Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619177 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutoshb225 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
usre123 wrote:

I am a bit confused here.We have to select 5 out of 7 blank spaces or '*' in this case.Why will it be \(C^5_7\) . Should it not be the other way round as in 7C5?
Thanks

\(C^5_7\), \(C^7_5\), 7C5 are the same: choosing 5 out of 7. How can we choose 7 out of 5? Those are just different ways of writing the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
(11!/2!*3!)- (5!*7!/3!*2!)
Total ways of rearranging the word is 11!/2!*3! As r repeats 2 time and O repeats 3 times. We assume all vowels as 1 block(they will always be together) and it is arranged with all other letters we get 7!/2! And the vowels can be arranged amongst themselves in 5!/3! ways. So total number of ways vowels can never be together would be
(11!/2!*3!)- (5!*7!/3!*2!)
Bunuel please correct me if I am wrong

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel Would this be an equally valid method?

11! / 3! x 2! <--- Perms with repeats

Options:
a) All the vowels are together : 7! / 2!
b) 4 together: 8! / 2!
c) 3 together: 9! / 2!
d) 2 together: 10! / 2!

11! / 3! x 2! - (7! / 2!) - (8! / 2!) - (9! / 2!) - (10! / 2!)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92933 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts