Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB: Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Well done. I think its pretty accurate but I sure don't know how to answer that final question.
I can certainly support your assertion of a 50/50 coin toss if you get an invite.
This means that your faith is probably already decided in large part before the actual interview
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Vaico wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
I'd say that timing is even more difficult than selection. For me even HBS wasn't clear. I receieved many positive feedback on my application from experts (eg. HBSGuru) telling me I had a strong profile for the school and nevertheless did not recieve an invite. For Stanford, this is even less clear to me. I don't have a clue of the type of class they are trying to build here but apparently it differes from HBS since we have several dinged HBS candidates recieving invites. Now about the timing, I think this really pushes the analysis an extra level. There's no real need to invite the 'brightest' candaites first other than 'OK, we are damn sure we have to invite this one so why delay'. There could be other arguments such as doing it by buckets which means similar geographical / industry area which I don't think is the case. I don't think they invite international students first either since there is no need to make any travel arrangements in most cases.

Maybe is just let's get movin' send the really strong candidates something earlier and let's figure out with more time which of the rest of these we should invite (probably because we need to read every other application to make sure we are choosing the right person and not the other). In the first case, with really strong candidates they are choosing you, not really comparing you to another candidate to see which one to pick, that's why they usually don't need to read all the apps until this point. According to this theory, we should definetely see more URM towards the end of the timeline here for the reasons explained above.

In conclusion, I expect to get my invite in the 10-13 november range.

I've always wondered if their "method" is as scientific as we think it is.. Maybe they are all drunk spinning a wheel of fortune and randomly selecting candidates until they reach 415 students...

Nah, its a small class. They better be careful because 2 or 3 candidates can really skew everything on the class profile. This includes GMAT scores, GPA's, industry, work average and all class stats.
I think if anything its probably the most 'scientific' of the program because of the small class.

Hoping this discussion serves for the sole purpose of killing more time :)

Yeah, I was joking..

The only thing against the "bucket" theory is that someone mentioned that apps are reviewed geographically (I think each adcom member is assigned a geographic region). If this is true, it seems complicated to group candidates into industry buckets... and at the same time it wouldn't make sense to wait before sending invites to specific geographic regions because a bunch of apps will be already reviewed early on.. What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Well done. I think its pretty accurate but I sure don't know how to answer that final question.
I can certainly support your assertion of a 50/50 coin toss if you get an invite.
This means that your faith is probably already decided in large part before the actual interview

Well.. that's the "interviews only serve as an alumni integration/awareness initiative" hypothesis..
VP
VP
Send PM
That is true. Although I think that they review industry/geography.
Say financial services in Europe is one ad-com member, another one can be Consulting and Marketing in Latin America and so on.

I don't think its just geographic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
My notion is also that we'll be reviewed by region and industry.

Now, for all you noblemen who have received the divine poke,
would you kindly enlighten the masses by sharing your location and submission date/timeframe?
That's more interesting to me than the stats/work exp since I personally will never have a clue
what they're trying to put together this year ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.24
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Gotta love this off-hours consulting case going on :wink: After a day of actual consulting, is it weird that our thought processes makes me more excited for a couple years to dive in with like-minded individuals? You'd think I would be tired of thinking. In any case, congrats to those with the lucky emails, and good luck to the rest of us stressing ourselves out.

And I second the request for more data points - give us something to distract ourselves with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
HowLionsHunt wrote:
My notion is also that we'll be reviewed by region and industry.

Now, for all you noblemen who have received the divine poke,
would you kindly enlighten the masses by sharing your location and submission date/timeframe?
That's more interesting to me than the stats/work exp since I personally will never have a clue
what they're trying to put together this year ;)

I am located in Latin America an submitted the application during the third week of September.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
In conclusion, I expect to get my invite in the 10-13 november range.

Could I borrow your confidence for a few days? I could do with some sleep...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Anyone from India got a call?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
wonderwoman wrote:
tunasalad wrote:
bmcrhino wrote:
For those getting invites: When did you apply relative to the October 1 deadline?

Asked another way, did anyone who applied the night before or the day of 10/1 receive invites? Wondering if their review process is chronological, or if it's truly randomized.

I submitted the morning of 10/1, so don't think its chronological.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
9W57th wrote:

I haven't yet received a call, but then again, I don't expect one either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Say financial services in Europe is one ad-com member, another one can be Consulting and Marketing in Latin America and so on.

I'd assume that they create a matrix based on geography and industry. Let's say first applications are compared on geography. The selected are then compared regardless of geography on industry. In an ideal situation their 2 dimensional matrix should show representation across geography and industry. If not they go back and get more probables.

The matrix could be extended on n dimensions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
spshah111 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

I'd assume that they create a matrix based on geography and industry. Let's say first applications are compared on geography. The selected are then compared regardless of geography on industry. In an ideal situation their 2 dimensional matrix should show representation across geography and industry. If not they go back and get more probables.

The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
VP
VP
Send PM
HowLionsHunt wrote:
spshah111 wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Wtf?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
9W57th wrote:

Nopes, there is plenty of time left. I think geographies should also play some kinda role in the order in which the interview invites are sent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
HowLionsHunt wrote:

Wtf?

Morpheus...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Time to move on to the Wharton forum...