Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his frie [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
And what is your answe choice? I confuse between A and D, if you choose A, can you explain to me why we eliminate D? Thanks

the answer has to be A : Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend Orestes

D is wrong because we need this sentence in the same tense. also the connect is missing in D . it does not appear as who delivers that line?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his frie [#permalink]
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:
And what is your answe choice? I confuse between A and D, if you choose A, can you explain to me why we eliminate D? Thanks

the answer has to be A : Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend Orestes

D is wrong because we need this sentence in the same tense. also the connect is missing in D . it does not appear as who delivers that line?

Sorry, i miscomposed an answer in my question. Would you review it? And explain again? Thx a lot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
Send PM
Why would it not be D ? aditya8062 I didnt understand what you meant by D requiring them to be in the same tense. As far as i can see, A as well as D are in the same tense.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
D is wrong mainly because

Excepting the single line..........does not have any sense

Except FOR X Pylades remains mute. i.e. he talks during the lines in Choephori and for ALL the other lines or situation he remained mute. We need a balance

D does not communicate this

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
vedavyas9 wrote:
Whats wrong with C?

C changes the meaning.

Besides- in addition to.

This does not make sense in context of sentence. We need a word that highlights a contrast.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
iambillgate2@gmail.com wrote:
Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend Orestes of Apollo's command, Pylades, the companion of Orestes, remains curiously mute in all tragedies dealing with the Orestes-Electra myth.
A. Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend Orestes
B. Except for the single line delivered as a reminder to Orestes in Choephori
C. Besides his single line delivery in Choephori to remind Orestes
D. Excepting the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend Orestes
E. With the exception of the single line delivered in Choephori as a reminder to Orestes

what does "Except for the single line he delivers in Choephori to remind his friend ....command" modify? who is "he" and "his"? what type is the modifier?
Thanks in advance :D

The form and tense of "to deliver" needs to match "remains", which is in the last part of the sentence. To be parallel and the correct tense, "to deliver" should be "delivers". This eliminates B, C, and E. In D, "excepting" is very awkward. "Except for" in A is clearer and less wordy / more concise. A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
akv260791 wrote:
Why would it not be D ? aditya8062 I didnt understand what you meant by D requiring them to be in the same tense. As far as i can see, A as well as D are in the same tense.

I think D is unidiomatic. Except for X, Y ... is preferred to the use Excepting for x, y .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Except for the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind his friend Orestes of Apollo's command, Pylades, the companion of Orestes, remains curiously mute in all tragedies dealing with the Orestes-Electra myth.

Except for the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind his friend Orestes
    Except for the single line delivered as a reminder to Orestes in Aeschylus' Choephori
    Besides his single line delivery in Aeschylus' Choephori reminding Orestes
    Excepting the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind Orestes
    With the exception of the single line delivered in Aeschylus' Choephori as a reminder to Orestes

This is from one of the Kaplan Tests. Correct answer is A. But I didn't get why C and D are wrong, the explanation wasn't good enough
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31952 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
skyfarer wrote:
Except for the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind his friend Orestes of Apollo's command, Pylades, the companion of Orestes, remains curiously mute in all tragedies dealing with the Orestes-Electra myth.

Except for the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind his friend Orestes
    Except for the single line delivered as a reminder to Orestes in Aeschylus' Choephori
    Besides his single line delivery in Aeschylus' Choephori reminding Orestes
    Excepting the single line he delivers in Aeschylus' Choephori to remind Orestes
    With the exception of the single line delivered in Aeschylus' Choephori as a reminder to Orestes

This is from one of the Kaplan Tests. Correct answer is A. But I didn't get why C and D are wrong, the explanation wasn't good enough

The Q tests us on these points...
1) Besides MEANS in addition to - the sentence talks of a CONTRAST and means there was nothing other than that single line so C is out
2) With is wrongly used again to show contrast.. E is out..
3) B requires a MODIFIER correctly placed
4) A and D have one difference -usage of Except for VS excepting... Except for is the correct Idiom
The role of first clause is to show contrast, but by converting the first clause as Verb + ING modifier, the meaning and structure is changed

A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I see this as testing parallelism and verb tense issue. Correct answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 510
Send PM
chetan2u sayantanc2k carcass

I selected D and I fail to understand why 'excepting' sentence changes meaning?

Thanks for your help!
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31952 [1]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ruchi857 wrote:
chetan2u sayantanc2k carcass

I selected D and I fail to understand why 'excepting' sentence changes meaning?

Thanks for your help!

Hi ruchi857,

There is no change in MEANING of sentence if EXCEPTING is used...

The reason except for is better than excepting-
1) Except for is more idiomiatic and is much more widely used and accepted
2) Excepting is used mainly in negative statement ... Not excepting, and its usage is very rare..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM