Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What is the difficulty level of this question

You may select 1 option
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [6]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Re: The editor’s team of expert writers -My New 700+ Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey foks,

There was a typo, In D instead of "conference" it should be "conference on Modern Changes in Standard English". I have updated the question; you may revisit your responses in light of this change.

Vercules
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: The editor’s team of expert writers -My New 700+ Question [#permalink]
I'd go with C on this one as it sounds appropriate. Also, the Team:Was connection seems to work best in this sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [0]
Send PM
Re: The editor s team of expert writers, including her secretary [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vercules wrote:
The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

A long question with very different answer choices, but if one notices that there are a few common grammatical errors, one can quickly answer this question correctly.

A) The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where she delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

Verb “were” should be singular as “the editor’s team” is singular. “She” on the other hand is an ambiguous pronoun with no clear antecedent.

B) Including the editor’s secretary Mr. James, the editor’s team of expert writers were present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

Again the same error incorrect usage of “were”, otherwise the rest of the sentence is correct.

C) The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

Correct. This choice addresses all the issues, “the editor” is used in place of “she” which makes it clear that it is the editor who is delivering the keynote speech.

D) The editor’s team of expert writers, including her secretary Mr. James, was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the delivery of speech was done by the editor on the influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

Passive construction “was done by” is less preferred to the other choice in active voice construction.

E) The editor’s team of expert writers and her secretary Mr. James was present at the conference on Modern Changes in Standard English where the editor delivered the keynote speech on influence of Rap Music on conversational English.

This choice combines “the editor’s team” and “her secretary” thus making a plural subject, which requires a plural verb. Here the use of “was” is incorrect

Vercules
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
confused 'cause "her" doesn't seem to have an antecedent. can anyone verify the sentence's validity?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi,
I agree that C is the best answer but I believe the sentence should use "in which" rather than "where" to refer to the Conference on Modern Changes in Standard English. I think a venue or a location is a phyiscal place but a conference is not.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I would really like to know more about the where-vs.-in-which difference.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
foars wrote:
confused 'cause "her" doesn't seem to have an antecedent. can anyone verify the sentence's validity?

Same question for me!
What does "her" refer to? the team? It shouldn't be "its"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2014
GPA: 3.96
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The editor s team of expert writers, including her secretary [#permalink]
what is referring to her in this question? I am little confused
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The editor s team of expert writers, including her secretary [#permalink]
Kudos