Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 2.5
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [3]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IESE '21 (WL)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all IESE MBA applicants for 2019 intake (Class of 2021) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
tarun2040: Thanks for starting this topic. I've moved it to IESE forum. Let's make it official discussion for IESE 2019 intake. I am adding first post with data table, stats, and useful links.
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all IESE MBA applicants for 2019 intake (Class of 2021) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Narenn wrote:
tarun2040: Thanks for starting this topic. I've moved it to IESE forum. Let's make it official discussion for IESE 2019 intake. I am adding first post with data table, stats, and useful links.

Thanks for starting this Narenn. Let me know if you would like help with moderating.
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tarun2040 wrote:
Hi Farrell,
Thank you very much for such detailed response. You always seem to be the Santa Claus for us giving us much needed information. I also received some valuable insight from you for other applications.

Thank you so much @tarun2040, that made my day~ :shocked

Great description of the questions giving a clear picture of what is expected. I was worried about the overlap between the two questions as well. I have a couple of follow up questions regarding the above:

When the school asks how do I expect to be changed, do they expect me to specifically address my weaknesses, considering it will only be about 150 words for the first part of first essay?

I realize that is very brief but think TARGETED not COMPREHENSIVE. For example mention the specific weakness you have and how the program fits in LOCK AND KEY with what you need. I recommend touch mba https://touchmba.com/37-were-a-mission-driven-organization-iese-mba-admissions-qa-with-anjaney-borwankar/

Can you briefly explain about foundation dollars? You can just brief what it is and in which ways a student's success can affect it.

Well I'm sure Booth liked the sound of, "Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Booth's alumni ..." see what I mean? It increases the value of the school and increases the foundation donations they receive. It's not that important for you to think about but keep in mind they want those rising stars that put the program in a good light.

My long term goal is entrepreneurship. And I hope to achieve it through consulting and creating a network along the way. Ideally my long term venture would have a product development arm, leadership team spread across the country and a sales arm among other typical organizational divisions. I'm still trying to figure it out. How much detail do I have to mention about it?

Well, make sure to mention the BIG PROBLEM you will solve and for WHO. And what you need from IESE in order to make this manifest. Not a business plan but show them you have given pause to reflect on the skills you will need.

In sum, show them you have your shiz together and you have a clear intention on what you want to get out of the program (because if you intend this, it will happen, they know this.)

Thank you very much for your valuable insights.

Thanks, I appreciate the appreciation!! Good luck.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for the details explanation Farrell. The link is super helpful as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Farrell, also just wondering why no one has been active here apart from me for IESE. IESE has an early decision round on Sep 4th deadline and I thought at least a few would be active. Am I missing something?
Send PM
Expert Reply
tarun2040 hi there, sorry for the late response. Well, a couple of things I think that it is a fairly eurocentric school and this is a pretty Asia Centric forum. Also I'm not sure that a lot of people would like to put a deposit down on iese when they would prefer to explore adjacent options like insead lbs hec and possibly even other Spanish programs. However if you are able to articulate a strong fit between your goals and their program and apply round one I think that your chances will be significantly higher than those in later rounds. Because to be honest iese probably knows this about themselves, if you present yourself as someone who is likely to say yes if they say yes to you (yield) it will increase your chances sizeably.

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Send PM
tarun2040 hey!
I'm also targetting the September 4th ED round.
Last year I started looking into doing an MBA around mid-September and was already too late for R1 on IESE (had a deadline of October 17th), so I applied R2, and just didn't make the cut. (I'd like to think it was strong competition (a lot of GMAT 720+ in my round), and strong, company sponsored profiles).
Considering IESE is my absolute favourite school to go to. The reasons for this are, a) I want to move to Spain, so a Spanish alumni base is important for me, b) it's a 2 year program, which I believe to be important so that you have time to learn, and absorb/apply what you learned (think: creating a habit), and finally c) because out of the 3 Spanish schools I most relate to their focus on general management, entrepreneurship and focus on Ethics. (in particular the ethics part).

anyway, since my belief is that I would have gotten in in an earlier less competitive round, I decided to apply round 1 this year.
Then I discovered they had added an early decision round, and decided to aim for that one (priority school, I'm certain I will take this one if I get acceptance + all spots still open, no profiles have been accepted yet that could potentially have the same background as mine)

Right now my focus is on improving my GMAT (scoring 760 in GMATprep practice exams but only 700 on the actual test), and getting my recommendation letters sorted.)
I did my own analysis of the essay topics and came pretty much to the same conclusion (i've been on them since 2 weeks before they were published, chasing my Adcom, asking why they weren't up yet ;-) )
- why MBA + why IESE, what's your added value to IESE
- what are your short and medium term goals --> prove you've thought about this.

the one thing I'm concerned about on the essays is that you don't really get space to sell yourself. Last year the essay specifically asked you to speak about your strength and weaknesses, which allowed you to speak about how you improved on these through experiences.
now, since they basically ask you to answer 3 questions in 300 words... it's not that easy.

I'm planning to ask my recommenders to focus a bit on those strengths, weaknesses and my growth in them
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aeon86

sorry to hear IESE did not work out last time. I feel that you have a fantastic focus on what separates IESE for you, and thankfully the essay questions this year definitely require you understand and articulate how IESE fits with your goals LOCK AND KEY.

I will say, I'm not sure it is a safe assumption to believe that you didn't get an interview all because of R2 vs. R1. Yes, if you are overrepresented you need a strong GMAT but that can be partly sidestepped by differentiating yourself effectively.

Given your passion and interest in the school, I would STRONGLY recommend that you have an established admissions consultant review your essays, CV, app responses and recommendation letters from last year. The feedback that you will get from this could help identify red flags to avoid and build a more solid application this year.

Might cost a few dollars but this whole MBA thing does anyways, so to properly leverage your investment in application fees it makes sense to know if you are headed in the right direction.

aeon86 wrote:
tarun2040 hey!

I'm also targetting the September 4th ED round.
Last year I started looking into doing an MBA around mid-September and was already too late for R1 on IESE (had a deadline of October 17th), so I applied R2, and just didn't make the cut. (I'd like to think it was strong competition (a lot of GMAT 720+ in my round), and strong, company sponsored profiles).
Considering IESE is my absolute favourite school to go to. The reasons for this are, a) I want to move to Spain, so a Spanish alumni base is important for me, b) it's a 2 year program, which I believe to be important so that you have time to learn, and absorb/apply what you learned (think: creating a habit), and finally c) because out of the 3 Spanish schools I most relate to their focus on general management, entrepreneurship and focus on Ethics. (in particular the ethics part).

anyway, since my belief is that I would have gotten in in an earlier less competitive round, I decided to apply round 1 this year.
Then I discovered they had added an early decision round, and decided to aim for that one (priority school, I'm certain I will take this one if I get acceptance + all spots still open, no profiles have been accepted yet that could potentially have the same background as mine)

Right now my focus is on improving my GMAT (scoring 760 in GMATprep practice exams but only 700 on the actual test), and getting my recommendation letters sorted.)
I did my own analysis of the essay topics and came pretty much to the same conclusion (i've been on them since 2 weeks before they were published, chasing my Adcom, asking why they weren't up yet ;-) )
- why MBA + why IESE, what's your added value to IESE
- what are your short and medium term goals --> prove you've thought about this.

the one thing I'm concerned about on the essays is that you don't really get space to sell yourself. Last year the essay specifically asked you to speak about your strength and weaknesses, which allowed you to speak about how you improved on these through experiences.
now, since they basically ask you to answer 3 questions in 300 words... it's not that easy.

I'm planning to ask my recommenders to focus a bit on those strengths, weaknesses and my growth in them
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach Hey, I may not have been clear: I did get the interview, as well as the assessment day. It was after those, that I got denied.

I did consider it. Despite feeling admissions coaches to be extremely expensive.
However, with less than a month remaining I don’t know if it’s worth it.
As mentioned I’m currently focusing full time on that gmat, and will then write those essays (2nd half of August).

I already have a general idea of what I want to write, and have several people on standby to proofread and provide feedback. My recommendation letters are also sorted (2 old bosses (previous owners of the company), each of which I worked directly under.)

Right now I believe I can manage it all provided I get that gmat up.
Unsure what an admissions consultant could do on such short term, especially considering I’m certain most are extremely busy with prepping other clients for R1

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
update on my status:
I retook the GMAT today, and while I don't have my AWA score yet (I don't feel I did my best writing), I did manage to improve from my 700 to a 750.
I'm super happy because I really wasn't looking forward to studying the rest of the holidays to try and improve it once more before the ED round.

so right now I'm continuing my Essays and recommendation letters.
The GMAT is going to be my biggest improvement since my rejection in March, half a year ago though, but I do feel that it's a strong improvement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hello guys,

I am an IESE candidate for the 2020 class.
It's starting next week!!
I know you guys must have a lot of questions about the application, GMAT, visit fo the campus, life in Barcelona, etc...
I decided to do a blog! I just started a few days ago, so the tone is not yet perfect ;)

https://www.iesemba.com

I will be posting during the year, to share my experience during the MBA.
Let me know what you think and don't hesitate to ask me questions I'd be happy to answer!

Best,

Waïna
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello Waïna,
always nice to see a fellow Belgian ;-)
I'm looking forward to reading about your experience, and, god willing, experience it myself next year.

al6dK wrote:
Hello guys,

I am an IESE candidate for the 2020 class.
It's starting next week!!
I know you guys must have a lot of questions about the application, GMAT, visit fo the campus, life in Barcelona, etc...
I decided to do a blog! I just started a few days ago, so the tone is not yet perfect ;)

https://www.iesemba.com

I will be posting during the year, to share my experience during the MBA.
Let me know what you think and don't hesitate to ask me questions I'd be happy to answer!

Best,

Waïna
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just got the following email from IESE. May be beneficial to Indian applicants.

Come and meet our admissions team and alumni in India to find out:

• Why the IESE MBA ranks among the top programs in the world
• How the IESE MBA will expose you to business practices spanning 5 continents
• What we mean by “experiential learning” and how it transforms mindsets

Coffee Chat with Alumni, New Delhi, Sept. 22nd. RSVP: https://apli.iese.edu/Tracking/redir.as ... e=71372938
Coffee Chat with Alumni, Mumbai, Sept. 23rd. RSVP: https://apli.iese.edu/Tracking/redir.as ... e=71372939
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Aeon86,

Congrats on the GMAT. I'm sorry I'm not sure how I missed the earlier messages here. 750 is a very good score.

I'm almost done with my application as well and looking forward to submitting.

Did you figure out what could have gone wrong in your application apart from the R2 vs R1? Because from my alumni homework, I understand that people who are called for assessment days are almost always converted to an admit unless something really messed up happens.

We shall keep in touch through the process. May I also ask what your post MBA plan is? Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Tarun,

I actually just submitted today.

Looking at my profile, my CV was far from optimal, I had a not-strong gmat and my essays could have been better. In addition I believe one of my recommenders wasn’t top notch.

I addressed all those issues this time.
What I believe went wrong?
I had already done the case we had to prep during the open day, and they asked me to try and guide the team in the right direction without letting them know I knew the answers. Since everyone tries to prove them self this proved to be near impossible, and I didn’t want to start arguing. In addition I took a trait from Germans which is that I’m very direct which can be seen as rude/aggressive. Cultural sensitivity is something I’ve been working on.

You don’t get feedback, so I hope I read it somewhat right.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hey Aeon,

I understand. Did you try to address this issue before submitting today? As in make more facetime with adcom and engage to show the cultural fit via talking/essays/informational interviews etc?

Please keep us posted about any developments with you. I will do the same as well.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts