Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.9
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Scored too low in IR section [#permalink]
Kudos
Generally speaking, you want to score decent enough on the IR section so as not to draw negative attention to a low IR score
You don't want the admissions committee to focus on a really low IR score of like 1 or 2 -- that shows lack of effort or ability

That said, it's not that much more beneficial to have a perfect 8 versus a 6 or 7.

So ideally, you want to stay in the 4, 5, 6, or 7 range to efficiently get a score that is decent without putting a crazy amount of effort.

Now, with your IR score of 3 -- well, that's kind of cutting it. However, your 750 score is high enough that it'll offset the IR score of 3. So in your situation, I wouldn't worry about it.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi amit1989,

First of all, your score of 750 is something I hope you're proud of. That is a really excellent score!

We posted in our blog about this recently, but a lot of business schools are still unsure of what to do with IR scores. This, of course, works to your advantage. If your overall score were lower, I think all of us would be singing a different tune. While you still might want to call the schools you're interested in to get their feedback, it looks like you're in really good shape.

Here's a link to the article we wrote earlier this year on how schools are still sorting out how to handle IR scores: https://bit.ly/1Ibt0N8

Best of luck!
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amit1989,

As I mentioned earlier, with this GMAT score you can apply to any Schools that you want to. You still have to make sure that you OVERALL application is strong though AND you have to present everything in the most effective ways possible.

If you're planning to apply to any really competitive programs, then there are various pros/cons to applying in a later Round now vs. an early Round later. In addition, there might be Scholarship possibilities depending on the Round that you apply in, so you might want to discuss all of this with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Folks

I am from India (male engineer) with a 4.5 years work-ex in consulting and analytics. I have taken the GMAT twice. In my second attempt (a couple of days back), I got a score of 740 (Q50, V40). However, I screwed up BIG time in IR, and got a scaled score of 1 and a ZERO PERCENTILE. :cry: :? In my first attempt, I had got 720 (Q50, V38) and IR score of 3/12 (27 percentile).

I wish to apply to US B-schools of ranks 8 - 16. Considering that IR is 4-5 years old now, I am wondering if schools have started looking at it seriously. Do you think it makes sense for me to take the GMAT again? Or will a Quant score of 50 offset my IR score?

Please help ! :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rohanparakh,

First off, a 740/Q50 is an outstanding score (it's well above the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is almost certainly not necessary. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
I am in the same boat.

Wrote GMAT yesterday. 760 (VA - 42, QA - 50); have an IR score of 4.

This is worrying me a bit.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
polka90 wrote:
I am in the same boat.

Don't worry! Go and party!
IR 4 is acceptable with Q50. It won't raise eyebrows.
Get a free profile evaluation here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-school/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
polka90 wrote:
I am in the same boat.

Get a free profile evaluation here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-school/

Can you clarify what makes you so confident that a 46th percentile score is acceptable? Does a high Quant score basically invalidate the entire Integrated Reasoning section? From what I see, more and more MBA programs are viewing the Integrated Reasoning section as an important admission criterion. Last year, 59% of the MBA programs surveyed by Kaplan said the IR score was important.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree that they are not going to cast a candidate aside for integrated reasoning scores that are subpar. They are important in as much as everything is important. I'm not sure how the study was done, but anecdotally, I'm here to say that I got a Chinese woman in to Booth last year who had a 1 on IR. 700 overall and I don't remember her break down, but the point is IR didn't stop them from accepting her.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
HiLine wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
polka90 wrote:
I am in the same boat.

Can you clarify what makes you so confident that a 46th percentile score is acceptable? Does a high Quant score basically invalidate the entire Integrated Reasoning section? From what I see, more and more MBA programs are viewing the Integrated Reasoning section as an important admission criterion. Last year, 59% of the MBA programs surveyed by Kaplan said the IR score was important.

Yes, IR score is gaining importance and it will as time goes by. But, 4 is not unacceptable in any way. 1/2/3 are considered low but 4 and above are fine. On top of that, your overall score is great with a very decent split between Q and V. In addition, Quant 50 is very good.
All in all, as long as you get AWA 4 or more, your GMAT score will not be a liability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
I don't understand the difference between a 3&4 in terms of percentile its only 13
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Scored too low in IR section [#permalink]
hate to ask the same question again, but like the OP i got a 750 (98 percentile)last week with Q51 but IR of 3 (27 percentile). Now it is 2017, not sure if I can still skate by without raising a red flag. Really appreciate ur input, and thanks in advanced. PS. I am aiming for Kellogg and Booth, if you have any particular info or know any top 20s will definitely say no, please share.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Send PM