Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619090 [7]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: During a week-long sale at a car dealership, the most number of cars s [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
During a week-long sale at a car dealership, the most number of cars sold on any one day was 12. If at least 2 cars were sold each day, was the average daily number of cars sold during that week more than 6?

(1) During that week, the second smallest number of cars sold on any one day was 4.
(2) During that week, the median number of cars sold was 10.

Kudos for a correct solution.

Given
1. Max no of cars sold on any day = 12
2. Min no of cars sold on any day >=2

No we have to determine whether the Avg no of cars sold during the week > 6
=> is total no of cars sold > 6*7 =42 ?

Statement 1
Possibility 1- No of cars sold on 7 days = 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 => Total Cars sold = 26 <42
Possibility 2- No of cars sold on 7 days = 2, 4, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12 => Total cars sold = 58 >42

Not sufficient.

Statement 2
Taking the minimum no of cars sold on 7 days = 2, 2, 2, 10 (median), 10, 10, 12 = 48 >42

Sufficient

Answer - B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 189 [0]
Send PM
Re: During a week-long sale at a car dealership, the most number of cars s [#permalink]
Hi,

Statement 1 tells us that the second smallest number of cars sold is 4.
Is is possible to derive that the no. of cars sold could also be (2, 2, 2, 4, 12)? Second smallest does not mean to me that 2 cars were sold only once!

In any way I also arrived at B with this method, so its just for my personal clarification.

Thanks in advance!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:
Hi,

Is is possible to derive that the no. of cars sold could also be (2, 2, 2, 4, 12)? Second smallest does not mean to me that 2 cars were sold only once!

In any way I also arrived at B with this method, so its just for my personal clarification.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, you are right. This is definitely a possibility and there would always by different possibilities to evaluate for any statements. Normally, you need to consider the extremities since they may challenge or give different results.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
noTh1ng wrote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, you are right. This is definitely a possibility and there would always by different possibilities to evaluate for any statements. Normally, you need to consider the extremities since they may challenge or give different results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
From Question stem , min car sold each day \(x\geq{2}\) and Max sold in particular day of week 12

Is weekly Avg > 6 or total > 42 ?

Stmt 1 : During that week, the second smallest number of cars sold on any one day was 4.
    it can be 2, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5 ,12 = 38 (avg <6)
    it can be 2, 4, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12 ~ (avg >6)
    Not sufficient.

Stmt 2 : During that week, the median number of cars sold was 10.
    it can be 2, _, _, 10, _, _ ,12
    lets fill minimum values it can be 2, 2, 2, 10, 10, 10, 12 = 48 (avg >6)
    Sufficient.

Ans : B
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619090 [2]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
During a week-long sale at a car dealership, the most number of cars sold on any one day was 12. If at least 2 cars were sold each day, was the average daily number of cars sold during that week more than 6?

(1) During that week, the second smallest number of cars sold on any one day was 4.

Kudos for a correct solution.

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First, do you see why I described this as a “scenario” problem? All these different days… and some number of cars sold each day… and then they (I!) toss in average and median… and to top it all off, the problem asks for a range (more than 6). Sigh.

Okay, what do we do with this thing?

Because it’s Data Sufficiency, start by establishing the givens. Because it’s a scenario, Draw It Out.

Let’s see. The “highest” day was 12, but it doesn’t say which day of the week that was. So how can you draw this out?

Neither statement provides information about a specific day of the week, either. Rather, they provide information about the least number of sales and the median number of sales.

The use of median is interesting. How do you normally organize numbers when you’re dealing with median?

Bingo! Try organizing the number of sales from smallest to largest. Draw out 7 slots (one for each day) and add the information given in the question stem:
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.37.53-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.37.53-pm.png [ 7.76 KiB | Viewed 6294 times ]

Now, what about that question? It asks not for the average, but whether the average number of daily sales for the week is more than 6. Does that give you any ideas for an approach to take?

Because it’s a yes/no question, you want to try to “prove” both yes and no for each statement. If you can show that a statement will give you both a yes and a no, then you know that statement is not sufficient.

Try this out with statement 1

(1) During that week, the least number of cars sold on any one day was 4.

Draw out a version of the scenario that includes statement (1):
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.38.22-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.38.22-pm.png [ 7.98 KiB | Viewed 6320 times ]

Can you find a way to make the average less than 6? Keep the first day at 2 and make the other days as small as possible:
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.38.58-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.38.58-pm.png [ 8.32 KiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

The sum of the numbers is 34. The average is 34 / 7 = a little smaller than 5.

Can you also make the average greater than 6? Try making all the numbers as big as possible:
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.39.24-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.39.24-pm.png [ 8.62 KiB | Viewed 6314 times ]

(Note: if you’re not sure whether the smallest day could be 4—the wording is a little weird—err on the cautious side and make it 3.)

You may be able to eyeball that and tell it will be greater than 6. If not, calculate: the sum is 67, so the average is just under 10.

Statement (1) is not sufficient because the average might be greater than or less than 6. Cross off answers (A) and (D).

Now, move to statement (2):

Again, draw out the scenario (using only the second statement this time!).
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.39.59-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.39.59-pm.png [ 8.11 KiB | Viewed 6317 times ]

Can you make the average less than 6? Test the smallest numbers you can. The three lowest days could each be 2. Then, the next three days could each be 10.
Attachment:
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.40.21-pm.png
screen-shot-2014-04-10-at-12.40.21-pm.png [ 8.39 KiB | Viewed 6313 times ]

The sum is 6 + 30 + 12 = 48. The average is 48 / 7 = just under 7, but bigger than 6. The numbers cannot be made any smaller—you have to have a minimum of 2 a day. Once you hit the median of 10 in the middle slot, you have to have something greater than or equal to the median for the remaining slots to the right.

The smallest possible average is still bigger than 6, so this statement is sufficient to answer the question. The correct answer is (B).

Oh, and the OG question is DS #121 from OG13. If you think you’ve got the concept, test yourself on the OG problem.

Key Takeaway: Draw Out Scenarios

(1) Sometimes, these scenarios are so elaborate that people are paralyzed. Pretend your boss just asked you to figure this out. What would you do? You’d just start drawing out possibilities till you figured it out.

(2) On Yes/No DS questions, try to get a Yes answer and a No answer. As soon as you do that, you can label the statement Not Sufficient and move on.

(3) After a while, you might have to go back to your boss and say, “Sorry, I can’t figure this out.” (Translation: you might have to give up and guess.) There isn’t a fantastic way to guess on this one, though I probably wouldn’t guess (E). The statements don’t look obviously helpful at first glance… which means probably at least one of them is!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
While I’ve seen the explanations and know the solution, I have a very specific query that I hope someone can resolve- as per manahattan one of the cases for statement 1 is 4,4,12,12,12,12,12. How’s that even possible? The statement clearly says 4 is the second lowest! It’s just for my clarification I want to know and I do understand we can choose any case. But my main concern is how come they have given this as one of the cases?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts