Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.64
WE:Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: 529 plan question - any tax buffs here? [#permalink]
Kudos
I would confirm with the school that they are officially stating that room and board for students with dependents is 30% higher. The IRS relies on the school to set the room and board amount and if that's what the school says it is, that's what they'll go off of.

It seems like their statement might just be a general disclaimer in which case it would not be considered part of the room and board determined by the institution.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
529 plan question - any tax buffs here? [#permalink]
Kelzie01 wrote:
I would confirm with the school that they are officially stating that room and board for students with dependents is 30% higher. The IRS relies on the school to set the room and board amount and if that's what the school says it is, that's what they'll go off of.

It seems like their statement might just be a general disclaimer in which case it would not be considered part of the room and board determined by the institution.

That was the way I read it as well, but I suppose I will have to contact the institution and see how much I can get away with.

Here's another one for you - I would like to travel as a part of the schools curriculum. On the schools website they state the following about the trips: "Global business concepts are explored across the MBA curriculum. You can select from a wide range of options for international study and work experiences. Note: The cost of these options is in addition to the budget above. If you plan to participate in a Global Trek, please be aware that your Wharton MBA Student Budget may only be increased for education-related trips, such as Wharton’s Global Immersion Program and Global Modular Courses (GMC). For additional information, visit Global Learning."

The way this reads makes me think that certain global trips CAN be included in the cost of attendance, but the 30% increase does not as it does not explicitly state that it is included in the cost of attendance. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
eriginal wrote:
That was the way I read it as well, but I suppose I will have to contact the institution and see how much I can get away with.

Here's another one for you - I would like to travel as a part of the schools curriculum. On the schools website they state the following about the trips: "Global business concepts are explored across the MBA curriculum. You can select from a wide range of options for international study and work experiences. Note: The cost of these options is in addition to the budget above. If you plan to participate in a Global Trek, please be aware that your Wharton MBA Student Budget may only be increased for education-related trips, such as Wharton’s Global Immersion Program and Global Modular Courses (GMC). For additional information, visit Global Learning."

The way this reads makes me think that certain global trips CAN be included in the cost of attendance, but the 30% increase does not as it does not explicitly state that it is included in the cost of attendance. Thoughts?

Mostly. ONLY the education-related trips. If Wharton has a spring break trip to Cancun, that's not covered. :-D Tuition and room and board for study abroad programs are covered. Airline tickets are not though-neither are some potentially pricey things like foreign health insurance.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kelzie01 wrote:
Mostly. ONLY the education-related trips. If Wharton has a spring break trip to Cancun, that's not covered. :-D Tuition and room and board for study abroad programs are covered. Airline tickets are not though-neither are some potentially pricey things like foreign health insurance.

So just to confirm your thinking, any education-related trips outside of the normal cost of attendance can likely be added to the normal cost of attendance? Put another way, if the stated cost of the trip is $5k, I can add that to the $100k stated cost of attendance for the purposes of a 529 plan?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
eriginal wrote:
So just to confirm your thinking, any education-related trips outside of the normal cost of attendance can likely be added to the normal cost of attendance? Put another way, if the stated cost of the trip is $5k, I can add that to the $100k stated cost of attendance for the purposes of a 529 plan?

Yeah but be careful with what's included in that stated cost-if that includes airline tickets, you can't add that to the cost of attendance.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Can it be any "educational" trip or does it have to be a "required" educational trip? Similar to the Laptop situation that it has to be required by the program to be included in the costs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Can it be any "educational" trip or does it have to be a "required" educational trip? Similar to the Laptop situation that it has to be required by the program to be included in the costs.

As long as you are earning credits, it's fine. If it's some sort of working abroad where you don't earn credits that probably wouldn't be covered. I wouldn't attempt it anyway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kelzie01 wrote:
eriginal wrote:

Yeah but be careful with what's included in that stated cost-if that includes airline tickets, you can't add that to the cost of attendance.

Perfect. Yea, they have an all-in stated cost that does not include airline tickets. What I'm gathering here is that they need to be very explicit otherwise it can't count towards the cost of attendance. Seems like the +30% doesn't count and the educational-related travel does. I emailed the school and I will post on here once I get a response.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sounds like you should be good. You can also think about keeping some of the 529 funds in there for your children or grandchildren down the road. Would sure be a nice present for them!
GMAT Club Bot