Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619157 [40]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619157 [6]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [5]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: M14-09 [#permalink]
Kudos
In order for whites to avoid losing the game, they must have the last move, and therefore, the move must be one more move than the number of black moves. For blacks to avoid losing the game, they only need an equal amount of moves as the number of white moves. However, it's impossible to determine whether blacks won the games or tied them.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Wow but looks like critical reasoning question in verbal section rather than a quant question!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [13]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In a game of chess, the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move.

Two Possible Scenarios:

i) Starts with White and ends with Black ............... eg: W -> B or W -> B -> W -> B
This means there will be equal number of black and white moves

ii) Starts with White and ends with White............... eg: W -> B -> W or W -> B -> W -> B ->W
This means there will be 1 more move of White than moves of Black

We are given that Whites have made 2319 moves altogether while Blacks have made 2315 moves.
==> The above statement means "There must be some cases where scenario 2 is applicable"

For understanding purpose, let's assume There were 5 Games with following scenarios:

Game 1: w->b.......w->b (2309 moves by each) [1 game in which white and black moved equal number of moves = 2309]
(There can be n number of games with multiple scenarios, what we care about is : "Equal number of white and black moves" )]

[ Now, remaining White moves = 10 and Black moves = 6]

As we are given that : "White made additional 4 number of moves", there can be 4 games in which White made last move
We can assume following cases:
Game 2: w->b->w
Game 3: w->b->w
Game 4: w->b->w
Game 5: w->b->w->b->w->b->w

We are given that "If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose"
Results of Games :
Game 1: Black Last move = Black did not lose = Black won or Match draw
Game 2: White Last move = White did not lose = White won or Match draw
Game 3: White Last move = White did not lose = White won or Match draw
Game 4: White Last move = White did not lose = White won or Match draw
Game 5: White Last move = White did not lose = White won or Match draw
----------------------------------
Question is asking "What can be true" [ not what "must" be true]
I. Blacks lost 5 games

--> Black can lose at most 4 games

II. Blacks won more games than whites

Let's say : Game 1 resulted in win and Game 2,3,4,5 resulted in Draw
We can say that YES blacks won more games than whites ( In our case, Blacks wins =1 and White wins = 0)

III. All games ended in a draw
--> Game 1,2,3,4,5 can resulted in draw

Hence II and III are possible
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

In a game of chess, the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move. During a certain chess tournament whites have made 2319 moves altogether while blacks have made 2315 moves. If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose, which of the following can be true about the tournament?

I. Blacks lost 5 games

A. III only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

From the stem it follows that there were only 4 games in which whites had the last move. These 4 games were responsible for the difference in the total number of moves made by whites and blacks during the tournament. We know that these 4 games were not won by blacks (but they could well have ended in a draw). All the other games could have been won by blacks or ended in a draw. Thus, scenarios II and III are possible.

Scenario I is impossible. It means that there were at least 5 games in which whites had the last move. If this were true then the difference between the total number of moves of whites and blacks should be at least 5. In fact, it's only 4.

Answer: D

Hi Xylan

Can you please assist me on this?

While i do understand from the Q stem that BLACK has lost 4 games since WHITE has 4 points more than BLACK. This information definitely negates the Statement that Blacks lost 5 games.

However, the other 2 Statements are way too confusing or i'm unable to get the logic.

Would really appreciate your help!
Thanks
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [3]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
JIAA wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

In a game of chess, the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move. During a certain chess tournament, whites have made 2319 moves altogether while blacks have made 2315 moves. If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose, which of the following can be true about the tournament?

I. Blacks lost 5 games

A. III only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

From the stem it follows that there were only 4 games in which whites had the last move. These 4 games were responsible for the difference in the total number of moves made by whites and blacks during the tournament. We know that these 4 games were not won by blacks (but they could well have ended in a draw). All the other games could have been won by blacks or ended in a draw. Thus, scenarios II and III are possible.

Scenario I is impossible. It means that there were at least 5 games in which whites had the last move. If this were true then the difference between the total number of moves of whites and blacks should be at least 5. In fact, it's only 4.

Answer: D

Hi Xylan

Can you please assist me on this?

While i do understand from the Q stem that BLACK has lost 4 games since WHITE has 4 points more than BLACK. This information definitely negates the Statement that Blacks lost 5 games.

However, the other 2 Statements are way too confusing or i'm unable to get the logic.

Would really appreciate your help!
Thanks

JIAA In a game of chess, the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move.

Two Possible Scenarios:
    1) Starts with White and ends with Black ............... eg: W -> B or W -> B -> W -> B
    This means there will be an equal number of black and white moves

2) Starts with White and ends with White............... eg: W -> B -> W or W -> B -> W -> B ->W
    This means there will be 1 more move of White than moves of Black

We are given that Whites have made 2319 moves altogether while Blacks have made 2315 moves.
    The above statement means "There must be some cases where scenario 2 is applicable"

We clearly know because of the difference in 4 points: \(2319 - 2315 = 4\)
    W could have either WON or DRAW the 4 matches.
      Inference: B could have either LOST or DRAW the 4 matches. - The maximum number of macthes that can be lost by B: \(4\) - Read this slowly
For understanding purpose, let's assume: There were 5 Games: {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

Question is asking "What CAN be true" [ not what "MUST" be true] - Q is looking for a possibility, NOT a certainity
    I. Blacks lost 5 games
      Black can lose AT MOST 4 games

Let's say: Game 1 resulted in win and Game 2,3,4,5 resulted in Draw
      We CAN say that YES blacks won more games than whites ( In our case, Blacks wins =1 and White wins = 0) - A possible scenario

Game 1,2,3,4,5 CAN result in a draw - A possible scenario

Hence, ONLY II and III CAN be possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In a game of chess, the moves of whites and blacks alternate with whites having the first move. During a certain chess tournament whites have made 2319 moves altogether while blacks have made 2315 moves. If in any game the side that made the last move did not lose, which of the following can be true about the tournament?

I. Blacks lost 5 games

A. III only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

One thing imp in this question is that Black will never exceed White even if it wins.
To Demonstrate:
Black win : W-B-W-B-W-B
Black Draw : W-B-W-B or W-B-W-B-W
So black is never exceeding white's count in an individual game.
So black can at most lose 4 games.
Black Can win more than 5 games
And all games may end in draw.

Please give Kudos if you like my answer
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619157 [0]
Send PM
M14-09 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and the solution by adding more details to enhance its clarity. I hope it is now easier to understand.
GMAT Club Bot
M14-09 [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92932 posts