Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [10]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [5]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [3]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: have many wrong aswers can i afford? [#permalink]
Kudos
as bmillan01 said, it is really depend on high-difficulty problems and experimental questions, and that's why the simulation test never going to exactly represent the gmat real test.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
I understand all the points you mentioned. But, I wanted to get a feeling. The questions I answered wrongly in Manhattan tests were rather more difficult (at least according to Manhattan).

But if we can assume that some of the wrongly answered questions are high-difficult and some are less-difficult, how many questions can you afford to attack 700+ score. I think that you can do some estimations. For instance, what are your scores on other preparatory tests and how many wrong answers did you have? (of course, we have to take into account the difficulty as well.)

I think that if some people post their experience here, we will get some estimates.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For the GMATPrep, I had more incorrect answers for quant than for verbal. For quant, the number ranged from six to ten wrong answers; for verbal, it was usually about three to six. And the scores were always higher for quant. I had a 740 and 750 on the GMATPrep, and scored a 730 (Q48, V44) on the actual test.

I only practiced with the verbal section for the six Manhattan tests. I don't recall that many incorrect answers, but my scores were 44, 44, 40, 45, 46, and 44 (if memory serves me).

As we have all acknowledged on this thread, there are a number of intangibles to consider regarding test scores. However, I will repeat one point in my previous message: the number of wrong answers that you mentioned is high and should be reduced in order to score a 700.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Thanks a lot.
I also think that the number of wrong answers, I mentioned, is too high. However, i really got 740 points. It was probably by a coincidence.
Now, I have 16 wrong answer in quantitative part and 12 in verbal and have Q46 V40 (700). (another Manhattan test). I think that it looks more reasonably.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
The more recent score appears more reasonable, but we should aim to remove as much risk as possible from your future GMAT performance. To improve your math score, look into the GMATClub tests (after finishing your math guides and OG practice). For verbal, let's try to identify which problems give you the most trouble - and at what difficulty level. Also, how much time do you have left in your preparation?

I realize that this shifts the original conversation into another direction, but it's not enough to just detect a problem. We have to fix it too! :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [28]
Given Kudos: 50
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Read this...

https://www.crackverbal.com/blog/gmat-sc ... ied-partly

(3) How many mistakes can I afford in each section ?

Now, this is a slightly tricky question as it is not just the number of mistakes per se, but also 2 other factors which need to be considered:

1. Frequency of the mistakes: If you get questions wrong one after the other, you are in greater risk than if you distribute your mistakes over a range. For example, lets say, from questions 21 to 30 there are 2 candidates X and Y and their frequency of mistakes is: X marks the wrong answers for questions 22, 26 and 29, while Y marks the wrong ones for 23,24,25. Then Y would be penalized heavier than X.
2. Position of the mistakes: Has been said a gazillion times before, but the first 10 odd questions have a greater variation/fluctuation while assessing your score than the questions towards the end. Think about it. If you want to guage a person in an interview you start out asking the “average” questions if he cannot answer those, you would immediately drop down to the “basic” ones and it would be a long time before you could throw anything challenging at him. Whereas if he answered all the average ones you would pose him the “difficult” ones and it would be a long, long series of wrongs answers before you get fed up and start asking him “basic” questions.

However, it is possible for very high scores (read as “very few mistakes”) to show with a fair degree of accuracy what the association between mistakes and RAW scores. The following data I found from the net to fairly representative:

Verbal
# mistakes score
0-1 51
2-4 50-45
5-7 40-44
8-13 39-35

Quant
# mistakes score
0-2 51
3-5 50
6-10 49
11-14 48
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
gmatprep2011 wrote:
Read this...

https://www.crackverbal.com/blog/gmat-sc ... ied-partly

(3) How many mistakes can I afford in each section ?

Now, this is a slightly tricky question as it is not just the number of mistakes per se, but also 2 other factors which need to be considered:

1. Frequency of the mistakes: If you get questions wrong one after the other, you are in greater risk than if you distribute your mistakes over a range. For example, lets say, from questions 21 to 30 there are 2 candidates X and Y and their frequency of mistakes is: X marks the wrong answers for questions 22, 26 and 29, while Y marks the wrong ones for 23,24,25. Then Y would be penalized heavier than X.
2. Position of the mistakes: Has been said a gazillion times before, but the first 10 odd questions have a greater variation/fluctuation while assessing your score than the questions towards the end. Think about it. If you want to guage a person in an interview you start out asking the “average” questions if he cannot answer those, you would immediately drop down to the “basic” ones and it would be a long time before you could throw anything challenging at him. Whereas if he answered all the average ones you would pose him the “difficult” ones and it would be a long, long series of wrongs answers before you get fed up and start asking him “basic” questions.

However, it is possible for very high scores (read as “very few mistakes”) to show with a fair degree of accuracy what the association between mistakes and RAW scores. The following data I found from the net to fairly representative:

Verbal
# mistakes score
0-1 51
2-4 50-45
5-7 40-44
8-13 39-35

Quant
# mistakes score
0-2 51
3-5 50
6-10 49
11-14 48

gmatprep2011 makes some great references above. I would also like to add that MGMAT has a small guide (available with their online CAT tests) that provide pretty detailed and logical explanation "countering" point 2 - that the common belief that the first 10 questions hold more "weight" holds true. The values of # missed should be taken with a grain of salt as explained by point 1, but on the whole serve as a decent estimator. Your best bet would probably be to take some full length CATs suggested in that other thread and doing some comparison yourself. Of the ones I have taken, the guidance listed above seems reasonable.

I don't want to steal the thunder of that MGMAT guide, but the gist of it is this:
- All 41 Quant questions are important. We all know that if any are blank you are done for.
- If you spend more time on the first 10, you are robbing time from the last 10.
- It is true that if you get the first 10 right, you may be in a higher bucket, but if you stumble in the middle or rush the tail end, you can easily be reassigned a new bucket.
- The GMAT scoring and question selection system is based on an algorithm that is very multifaceted, complex, and shrouded in secrecy.

IMHO:
Rather than exerting so much pressure on the first 10, focus on the whole of the section. It is after all, more of a marathon than a sprint. Become confident with the material and pace yourself. Overburdening yourself with the pressure of the first 10 is kind of like sprinting the first mile of a 26 mile marathon.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Wow 700's is a grt score and thats what I thought I was targetting, but I gave my second Cat after 1.5 months of preperation thru Mgmat guides - only covered 50% though, and I still got the same 580 score??? Could you please help me in identifying what I am doing wrong here?
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
simmy818 wrote:
Wow 700's is a grt score and thats what I thought I was targetting, but I gave my second Cat after 1.5 months of preperation thru Mgmat guides - only covered 50% though, and I still got the same 580 score??? Could you please help me in identifying what I am doing wrong here?
Thanks!

Some advice:
- Most people study for 3 months total, there is a entire thread/sticky detailed to study strategy. Go browse and see how yours compares.
- Review what you got wrong the first and second time. Do they differ? Is there an area you need to focus on? How did your Q and V change? Did one go up as the other went down? If you are going in MGMAT book order, your Q might go up but V go down due to not having a solid foundation in the first place.
- Use the error log for your CAT and OG questions.
- Use the problem sets outlined in MGMAT for the OG12 to do isolated problem sets on specific trouble areas you found by using the error log.
- Plenty of people get to 700+ through just MGMAT set and OG12, you can too! Mine the advice of this forum!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thank you so much for ur input! I will analyze all aspects as u mentioned, and will try to come up with a plan... thanks again !!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [7]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos