Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Regarding external scholarships and financial aid

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Regarding external scholarships and financial aid [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 04:40
Hello, everyone. I am Siddharth and have applied for the Silver Scholars programme of Yale, awaiting results.

I realize that the costs of education are really high and have been looking for avenues to fund it. My searches on Google were depressingly unhelpful. Yale itself is a little low on financial aid and I am not banking on its own scholarships as of this moment. The only viable 'scholarship' I could find online was a deferred interest-free loan of upto approximately $35k (super-competitive, obviously).

To get to the point: What are some of the external scholarships opportunities available to me? Also, if I wanted to avail of low-interest loans, are there any recommended bank schemes I should consider?

Quote:

Nationality: Indian

GMAT Results:

Score: 780 (Q51, V45)
AWA: 6
IR: 8

Academic Record:

Undergraduate CGPA (not graduated yet): 9.35/10
CET (Entrance Exam for engineering): 191/200 (State Merit Rank in twenties)
12th Grade: 83.17% (Drop accounted for by a single-minded focus on Engineering-oriented subjects)
10th Grade: 87.14%

Academic Achievements:

- 100/100 in Physics – extremely rare (12th grade HSC)
- 100/100 in Mathematics and 49/50 in Physics (CET)
- Percentage score for Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics in 12th grade= 95.67%
- Highest score in Mechanics in the entire college in the first year (Very reputed Engineering college)

Examples of Leadership & Initiative-taking

- Organized the first Intercollegiate Debate Competition in the college. Managed twenty team members and delivered a classy event within a tight deadline.

- Guided a team of ten with a co-Magazine Secretary over six months; handled the complete designing of the magazine. Introduced many changes in the long-existing format and content of the magazine – well-received.

- Initiated a ‘Speakers’ Club’ in college in my second year. I preside over the club meetings and empathize with the members and provide them with relevant feedback for their soft-skill development. (Running since 3 years)

- Came up with the ‘Quench a Thirst’ initiative. It involved coordinating with a animal welfare NGO for free distribution of earthen pots (reservoirs of water for birds) to students in my college just before the Indian summer months of May and June.

- In a similar vein, helped my friend, who is a Rotaract Club member, to organize a larger project that covered an entire neighbourhood; she, alone with other volunteers, distributed 100+ pots. The project was nominated for the Best Project Award on the District Level.

- Completed a group project of ten members as the leader; the project was hailed to be the best in the class. I facilitated quality control when it came to presentation of the project, both in terms of oration of my colleagues (by helping them practice) as well as the structure of the submitted report.

Extra-curricular activities:

- Writing poetry and essays
- Playing strategy, resource-management and time-management games like Civilization IV, Roller Coaster Tycoon series and Age of Mythology series

Would be glad to provide you with any other pertinent details.

Many thanks! :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 53

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Regarding external scholarships and financial aid [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 07:12
Expert's post
Why are you doing Yale? Work a few years, and you can get a scholarship at a top 10 school. Yale will probably give you something too, not sure how silver scholars works though.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Regarding external scholarships and financial aid   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2014, 07:12