Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2011, 08:34
I have an admit from the McCombs MBA program. I still have about 3-4 months till the program starts. I have picked up a tutorial for SAS software and am keen on learning at least the basics. I have used SPSS and STATA in my economics program at LSE. How much value will SAS add? (I am looking at top tier consulting firms)

thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 00:18
Its informative post provides a lots of information related to topic also provide more information on that.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 10:11
i am coming from a big 4 audit background...will this be looked down upon by the MBB and tier 2 firms? i really dont want to do an mba and end up back at big4 but in a consulting role..want to try something new
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 03:23
This post received
KUDOS
Superb +1 to rhyme.

Also here is the link to the updated Insead document that someone else put in a post:
http://www.insead.edu/mba/clubs/consult ... 11_11J.pdf
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2011, 14:47
Rhyme,

This is a great post for those who are interested in getting into MC. I think the main point I got from this post was to pursue what you're really interested in, not just because your friends say X and Y are such great places to work at.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 17:18
rhyme, every post you make is awesome. I wish you the best in everything and I hope to have the chance to use this some day.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 05:48
Rhyme,

I don't come from a consulting background, but I want to pursue an internship and hopefully FT MC position post-grad.

I'm a bit worried about the case interview because I've obviously never done these before. I've asked several MBAs how to best prepare for these (i.e. what to read, how to practice, etc.), and their response is usually to wait until classes start because my school will provide me with the best resources available...such as MC clubs, peers with experience in the industry, and the career resource center.

However, if school begins in August/September, is there really enough time to master the case method in just the couple months that lead up to internship recruiting? I mean, consulting recruiting begins in late fall/early winter, right?

Should I be prepping for the case method prior to school starting? And if so, do you have any recommendations? I've read quite a bit online, as well as "Case In Point," but I feel so incredibly far from knowing what to do.

Thanks--MDF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
MDF wrote:
Rhyme,

I don't come from a consulting background, but I want to pursue an internship and hopefully FT MC position post-grad.

I'm a bit worried about the case interview because I've obviously never done these before. I've asked several MBAs how to best prepare for these (i.e. what to read, how to practice, etc.), and their response is usually to wait until classes start because my school will provide me with the best resources available...such as MC clubs, peers with experience in the industry, and the career resource center.

However, if school begins in August/September, is there really enough time to master the case method in just the couple months that lead up to internship recruiting? I mean, consulting recruiting begins in late fall/early winter, right?

Should I be prepping for the case method prior to school starting? And if so, do you have any recommendations? I've read quite a bit online, as well as "Case In Point," but I feel so incredibly far from knowing what to do.

Thanks--MDF

Case in Point is a good start, although everyone uses it, so its not such a secret. Send me your email and I will inundate you with hundreds of sample cases. Unfortunately, its difficult to practice on your own (how do you know when to look at the next page?)... In general, I agree with your friends, you absolutely can prepare with just the time you have at school. 90% of people do.... I wouldnt ruin my summer over this. If your options are 12 weeks of drug-crazy parties on some beach in Thailand or sitting in a basement reading about pricing strategies, go to Thailand. Also, keep in mind that there's a huge element of dumb luck that you just cant control. There are people I know who prepared HUNDREDS of cases and got no offers - and others who didn't prepare at ALL and ended up with multiple ones. It is a bit of luck here - some cases you just "get", others you don't. I seem to remember a case in the case in point book that revolved around marmalade, and the answer to the case was something really random and esoteric like the marmalade was stored in a truck that wasn't cooled or something and that caused the quality of the marmalade to go down during shipments. I dont remember if thats exactly it, but it was something like that. Cases like that one require you to get a little lucky and stumble in the right direction, and sometimes you do, and sometimes you don't. The frameworks help you get there, but unless you start asking questions about the delivery process you aren't likely to ever uncover this tidbit. Point is, no amount of prep is going to change that.

If you still feel compelled to do a little something:

1) Read case and point, and memorize your frameworks. You can do this before grad school and it will help..For instance, if I said "I own a tire manufacturing company. We've been losing money. Why?" what framework would you use? How detailed is your framework - did you forget pieces? Are you considering the right factors and can think of the next questions to ask? Try to make the frameworks your own rather than just memorizing exactly what case in point has (its easier to remember them then)

2) If you can, find a friend in your city who you can prepare with. Give each other cases.

3) If you really want to go bold, reach out to the firms now and see if you can get yourself a pre-MBA internship. Its possible. At worst, you get an interview but don't make it, which is good practice, and unless you are completely awful, they'll be happy to interview you again for the proper internship because you are already on their radar.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 20:34
admitted wrote:
I received an e-mail from my school for "Connect with Bain" opportunity.
One thing that was interesting is the schools included in Bain's list.

Notable omissions include:
*Anderson
*Johnson
*McCombs
*Stern
*Tepper
*Yale

Now does this imply that getting into the big 3 is really tough for someone who is at, say, Anderson or Yale or Johnson??
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 05:18
topMBA12 wrote:
Now does this imply that getting into the big 3 is really tough for someone who is at, say, Anderson or Yale or Johnson??

Take a look at those schools' employment reports or the following two articles:

2011 Full time consulting hires: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/16/mc ... ke-haas/2/
2011 Internship consulting hires: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/28/fi ... a-interns/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 08:17
Any idea whether 700 GMAT is really a cut line for consulting?

I got in to Darden R1 and have a 680. Throughout the application process I indicated that MC was where I wanted to go. Does the GMAT matter that much? I have--similiar to everyone else--a story about a friend that got a McK job with a 690. He's currently a second year at Johnson. So does GMAT matter less at schools that have slightly lower GMAT scores?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 13:50
Gryphon wrote:
Any idea whether 700 GMAT is really a cut line for consulting?

I got in to Darden R1 and have a 680. Throughout the application process I indicated that MC was where I wanted to go. Does the GMAT matter that much? I have--similiar to everyone else--a story about a friend that got a McK job with a 690. He's currently a second year at Johnson. So does GMAT matter less at schools that have slightly lower GMAT scores?

You may have seen this already but a first hand account at a recruiting event:
gmat-score-use-in-employment-21669.html#p842201

Average GMAT scores at some schools have risen 10, 20+, points in the past few years and recruiting may get tougher. Intern decisions for summer 2012 are probably out soon? Hopefully a current student can answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Reviews Badge
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 07:56
awesome post, rhyme---thanks for sharing
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 22:47
well done man !!!
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 20:21
I've heard that MBB compensation is pretty much the same at all schools. Does the same apply to non-MBB? Will a Deloitte offer to a student at Wharton be the same as someone at Duke and someone at a Tepper or Georgetown McDonough? Or is there a salary decline as the school rank drops?
Do the projects/focus areas/roles change a for graduates of certain schools (ie will the Wharton grad have higher visibility projects over the Tepper/McDonough guy?)?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 570 Q45 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V37

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 07:01
Whoa!!! Referring this as a post is criminal. It's a Bible for MC.
Can't thank you more for this. Rise n Shine

Let Difficulties know that you too are difficult

if you want the rainbow,you gotta put up with the rain

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 16:32
how important is b-school GPA in recruiting? I know MBB uses it to weed out a lot of applicants, but what about: DT/EY/PwC/Accenture? Is there a cutoff?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 07:32
How do you get latest news from the industry (Management Consulting).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 10:07
murtaza1u wrote:
How do you get latest news from the industry (Management Consulting).

Your best bet is to set up Google news alerts. At least the big 3, and probably the others too, regularly release new reports on work they are doing - in part to show "new knowledge", and in part to attract clients. Beware though - news alerts will also give you a lot of false hits - showing some ex MBB getting promo'd into an exec or board position
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 03:34
MDF wrote:
Rhyme,

Thanks--MDF

There are also websites out there that pair up people looking to practice Cases - so you can google for these and practice there if you like.
Re: Rhyme's Guide to Management Consulting Recruiting   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2014, 03:34