Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [84]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619220 [18]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619220 [10]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: Which of the following points could lie in the same quadrant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 0:25
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
WoundedTiger wrote:
Which of the following points could lie in the same quadrant of the xy-coordinate plane as the point (a, b), where ab ≠ 0 ?

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)

First of all discard all options which have -a as the x-coordinate and -b as y-coordinate: eliminate B, and D.

(a, b) = (+, +), (+, -), (-, +), (-, -). Substitute in each option, to see which will match.

A. (–b, –a) --> (-, -), (+, -), (-, +), (+, +). Match. No need to continue.

Answer: A.

I don;t understand how you did this . Could you elaborate by example?

e.g if (a,b) = (3,4), then how can (-4,-3) lie in the same quadrant?

(3,4) is in the first quadrant and (-4,-3) is in the 3rd.
Confusing
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
WoundedTiger wrote:
Which of the following points could lie in the same quadrant of the xy-coordinate plane as the point (a, b), where ab ≠ 0 ?

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)

First of all discard all options which have -a as the x-coordinate and -b as y-coordinate: eliminate B, and D.

(a, b) = (+, +), (+, -), (-, +), (-, -). Substitute in each option, to see which will match.

A. (–b, –a) --> (-, -), (+, -), (-, +), (+, +). Match. No need to continue.

Answer: A.[/quote

Please explain by example.. Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Great explanation Bunuel. Thanks a lot!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Bunuel,

Could you please explain on what basis you eliminated B&D ? Also could you share some background information on how you got the answer as A ? I.e. Those points matched only for two quadrants, how diid you conclude this as the answer ?

Basically I'm confused over the method you have used and on what basis you have concluded the answer too.

I got the correct answer as A, but i used just (2, -1) randomly as (a, b) and checked for all the options and only option A coordinates were on same quadrant as (2, -1). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619220 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel,

Could you please explain on what basis you eliminated B&D ? Also could you share some background information on how you got the answer as A ? I.e. Those points matched only for two quadrants, how diid you conclude this as the answer ?

Basically I'm confused over the method you have used and on what basis you have concluded the answer too.

I got the correct answer as A, but i used just (2, -1) randomly as (a, b) and checked for all the options and only option A coordinates were on same quadrant as (2, -1). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Have you read this: which-of-the-following-points-could-lie-in-the-same-quadrant-174711.html#p1388348
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel, yes i have gone through the whole thing and only then posted those questions. What i don't understand in that is how you came to conclusion when only two points matched and other two didn't. And the rest i have put up in my previous post.

Thanks.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619220 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel,

Could you please explain on what basis you eliminated B&D ?

Thanks.

Given point: (a, b).

If a is positive, then -a is negative, and vise-versa. So, point (-a, ...) cannot be in the same quadrant as (a, b)
If b is positive, then -b is negative, and vise-versa. So, point (..., -b) cannot be in the same quadrant as (a, b)

Swaroopdev wrote:
Bunuel, yes i have gone through the whole thing and only then posted those questions. What i don't understand in that is how you came to conclusion when only two points matched and other two didn't. And the rest i have put up in my previous post.

Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean by "only two points matched and other two didn't".
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Swaroopdev wrote:

Thanks.

I believe you are confusing a must be true question with this question (a "could be true" ) question. In a could be true question, as soon as match 1 option , no need to check for ALL possible cases. For a must be true question, you need to make sure that ALL possible values are satisfied for an option to be the correct one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Engr2012, Bunuel my confusion was not regarding checking other options such as B, C, D and E but with the below solution. Below two points are proved to be of same quadrant and two are not, is it okay only if two quadrant checks out fine or even if one quadrant is matched we can conclude the answer ?

If a is positive and b is positive: (a, b) = (+, +), then (–b, –a) = (-, -). For example, if (a, b) = (1, 1), then (–b, –a) = (-1, -1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are NOT in the same quadrant.

If a is positive and b is negative: (a, b) = (+, -), then (–b, –a) = (-, -). For example, if (a, b) = (1, -1), then (–b, –a) = (1, -1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are in the same quadrant.

If a is negative and b is positive: (a, b) = (-, +), then (–b, –a) = (-, +). For example, if (a, b) = (-1, 1), then (–b, –a) = (-1, 1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are in the same quadrant.

If a is negative and b is negative: (a, b) = (-, -), then (–b, –a) = (+, +). For example, if (a, b) = (-1, -1), then (–b, –a) = (1, 1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are NOT in the same quadrant.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Swaroopdev wrote:
Engr2012, Bunuel my confusion was not regarding checking other options such as B, C, D and E but with the below solution. Below two points are proved to be of same quadrant and two are not, is it okay only if two quadrant checks out fine or even if one quadrant is matched we can conclude the answer ?

If a is positive and b is positive: (a, b) = (+, +), then (–b, –a) = (-, -). For example, if (a, b) = (1, 1), then (–b, –a) = (-1, -1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are NOT in the same quadrant.

If a is positive and b is negative: (a, b) = (+, -), then (–b, –a) = (-, -). For example, if (a, b) = (1, -1), then (–b, –a) = (1, -1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are in the same quadrant.

If a is negative and b is positive: (a, b) = (-, +), then (–b, –a) = (-, +). For example, if (a, b) = (-1, 1), then (–b, –a) = (-1, 1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are in the same quadrant.

If a is negative and b is negative: (a, b) = (-, -), then (–b, –a) = (+, +). For example, if (a, b) = (-1, -1), then (–b, –a) = (1, 1). So, (a, b) and (–b, –a) are NOT in the same quadrant.

Good question. But Bunuel and I have mentioned, there are 2 things that you need to note for this question:

1. this is a could be true question, so even 1 correct/matching solution should tell you to stop.
2. Based on above 4 cases, you are able to get 1 value (-b,-a) to the point for the same quadrant. yes, for a question such as this one, you can conlcude once you get 1 matching option.

Bunuel provided these explanations in addition to his oginal solution post above. This post of his should not be treated as the complete solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Engr2012 and Bunuel, thanks to both of you, now my doubts are cleared. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Kudos
WoundedTiger wrote:

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)

Really, a fast way to solve question is just to consider a mixed pair of coordinates, for example (-3,2). If we have a pair of coordinates with the same values then none of these answers would apply.

Thus
"A"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Co-ordinate Geometry (or "graphing", as most people call it) is a relatively rare category in the GMAT Quant section; you'll likely see just 1 of these questions on Test Day. The question is perfect for TESTing VALUES. Here's how:

We're asked which of the 5 answers COULD be in the same quadrant as (A,B), where neither A nor B equals 0. This makes me think that we'll have to consider more than one possibility, since there are 4 different quadrants on a graph.

Here are the examples that I would consider:
(A,B)
(1,2) - Quadrant 1
(-1,2) - Quadrant 2
(-1,-2) - Quadrant 3
(1,-2) - Quadrant 4

You'll notice that each of the 5 answer choices changes the "sign" of at least one of the variables (and sometimes switches the variables around). If you start off in Quadrant 1, the only way to end up in that SAME Quadrant is if both the a and b are positive. That doesn't happen in ANY of the answer choices, so we need to look at a diffent Quadrant. I'm going to start with Quadrant 2:

Quadrant 2:
(A,B)
(-1,2)

So, if we plug A = -1 and B = 2 into the 5 answer choices, do any of them give us an answer that puts us in Quadrant 2? One of them DOES....

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
WoundedTiger wrote:

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)

Let's test some coordinates...

How about: a = 1 and b = -2.
This means the point (a, b) = (1, -2), which is in QUADRANT IV

Now plug a = 1 and b = -2 into each answer choice...

A) (-b, -a) = [( -(-2), -1] = (2, -1), which is also in QUADRANT IV
PERFECT!

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1356 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
WoundedTiger wrote:

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)

Just a quick observation that is (I hope) interesting in its own right:

If x*y and w*z are both different from zero, points (x,y) and (w,z) will be in the same quadrant if, and only if,
x*w> 0 ("x-coordinates" have the same sign) and y*z>0 ("y-coordinates" have the same sign).

Conclusion:

(B) is refuted, because a and -a (x-coordinates in question stem and in this alternative choice) do not have the same signs (a is not zero)
(C) is refuted, because if a and b (x-coordinates...) have the same signs , then b and -a (y-coordinates...) don´t have
(D) is refuted, because b and -b (y-coordinates...) do not have the same signs (b is not zero)
(E) is refuted, because if a and -b (x-coordinates...) have the same signs , then b and a (y-coordinates...) don´t have

Regards,
fskilnik.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
\(M(x_1, y_1)\) and \(N(x_2, y_2)\) lie in the same quadrant, thus: \(x_1 * y_1\) and \(x_2 * y_2\) have the same sign. (the opposite is not true)
--> Quickly eliminate C, D, E.

Down to A & B.
B. the x-coordinate is -a. Point (-a,...) and Point (a,...) can't lie in the same quadrant. -> B is out.

A is the winner.

WoundedTiger wrote:

A. (–b, –a)
B. (–a, –b)
C. (b, –a)
D. (a, –b)
E. (–b, a)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92947 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum