Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2101 [5]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [1]
Send PM
Re: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists [#permalink]
Kudos
E with everyone.
As Matt would say, gmat likes:
rather than
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Straight E......Idiom as x rather than y is tested inn this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
vivek123 wrote:
Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than an emotional bond based on romantic love.

(A) Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than

(B) As did other seventeenth-century colonists, Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement rather than viewing it as

(C) Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists, rather than viewing it as

(D) Marriage to Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, was viewed as a property arrangement rather than

(E) Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than

Can somebody tell?
If we faced such option instad of E, would it be correct?

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than

or, regarding this, it is wrong?
Quote:
"like" is used for nouns only, to compare a noun to a noun
"as" introduces a full clause, that must have a full noun + verb structure
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Kudos
DharLog wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than an emotional bond based on romantic love.

(A) Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than

(B) As did other seventeenth-century colonists, Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement rather than viewing it as

(C) Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists, rather than viewing it as

(D) Marriage to Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, was viewed as a property arrangement rather than

(E) Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than

Can somebody tell?
If we faced such option instad of E, would it be correct?

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than

Quote:

It would probably be wrong as the meaning changes. You want to show similarity between sewall and seventeenth-century colonist, hence " like " is preferred.
For comparing nouns use " Like "
For comparing actions use " as "

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - could imply that Samuel Sewall disguised as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage ......."

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - also could imply that Sewall is representative of seventeenth-century colonist,..

Both of these are not very appropriate in the context of the sentence.

Hope the explanations help to some extent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
stne wrote:
DharLog wrote:
vivek123 wrote:

Can somebody tell?
If we faced such option instead of E, would it be correct?

Quote:

It would probably be wrong as the meaning changes. You want to show similarity between sewall and seventeenth-century colonist, hence " like " is preferred.

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - could imply that Samuel Sewall disguised as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage ......."

Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - also could imply that Sewall is representative of seventeenth-century colonist,..

Both of these are not very appropriate in the context of the sentence.

Hope the explanations help to some extent.

Thank you for your reply!

That is exactly what I am trying to say!

All seventeenth-century colonists viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than.
Samuel Sewall was one of them. And he thought also so.
Why can not this be true?

It is like next 2 examples.
1. John like a manager does this and that (John is manager's assistant). It is correct construction.
2. John as a manager does this and that (John is a manager and his duties are ...). And it is correct consruction too.

(E new) Samuel Sewall as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than

So it makes me think that options E and E new are identical in their sense.
like other = as?

------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------
It is true for sure. But maybe we can not use it here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I desided to separate two thes posts.

Do I understand you right?
You think that my option E new will be wrong because it carries two meanings. (And it has to carry only one)
E new. Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than
1. Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - could imply that Samuel Sewall disguised as seventeenth-century colonist, viewed marriage ......."
2. Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - also could imply that Sewall is representative of seventeenth-century colonist,..

And the original E contains only one meaning.
E. Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than
Samuel Sewall was seventeenth-century colonist, and like all of them viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than/

Maybe my problem with final understanding is because this meaning "2. Samuel Sewall, as seventeenth-century colonist, - also could imply that Sewall is representative of seventeenth-century colonist,.." is not cleat to me. Why is he disguised - where does it come from?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can somebody explain Why option D is incorrect ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos

Hi sambit140,

Let’s first understand what is the intended meaning of the sentence.
The original sentence starts with “Samuel Sewall viewed marriage…”. That means, the sentence is trying to convey thoughts of Samuel Sewall on the topic of “marriage”…

Now, even though the original sentence has some other errors as explained by many members in this forum, let’s look at option D.

The option D starts with “Marriage to Samuel Sewall,….”. In my opinion, this is skewed and does not convey the original meaning. Option D, perhaps, could also be interpreted as “ The act of getting married to Sewall” is viewed as ……

The original sentence is talking about Sewall’s views on marriage, and not about Sewall getting married.

i hope this explains why D is not a good option.

Thanks,
———————————
Give Kudos even if you don’t agree :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Can somebody explain Why option B is incorrect ?
though I chose E but I have this doubt at the back of my head.

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
bratbg wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi bratbg,

One reason to remove option B is that "viewed marriage to be a property arrangement" is not correct. We cannot say view X to be Y (view X as Y is possible).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
bratbg wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi bratbg,

One reason to remove option B is that "viewed marriage to be a property arrangement" is not correct. We cannot say view X to be Y (view X as Y is possible).

AjiteshArun so the use of "AS" is used correctly in order to compare. Right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
bratbg wrote:
No. This as is not used to introduce a comparison. This as is used to tell us what someone thought ("viewed" ~ "thought") something was.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
As soon as we see the phrase ‘as other 17th century…’ we know that its placement is off.
It seems to be modifying ‘marriage’ in Option A when it should be modifying ‘Samuel Sewall’.

The quickest way is to look for the option that places this phrase correctly next to what it intends to modify.

We have Options D and E from the mix.

But the subject in Option D is ‘marriage’ and not ‘Samuel Sewall’. This is the wrong comparison. Therefore, eliminate Option D.

Option E is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Kudos

- Can we say that rather than also has an issue of parallelism? The two parts before and after rather than should be parallel - Samuel Sewall viewed..... rather than viewing . It should have noun after rather than.
(C) Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists, rather than viewing it as - Same error as B

(D) Marriage to Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, was viewed as a property arrangement rather than - Changes the meaning. We are not saying the marriage to Samuel Sewall. We are talking about the view of samuel sewall on marriage.

(E) Samuel Sewall, like other seventeenth-century colonists, viewed marriage as a property arrangement rather than - Seems to be correct on all the account.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
bratbg wrote:
No. This as is not used to introduce a comparison. This as is used to tell us what someone thought ("viewed" ~ "thought") something was.

Hi AjiteshArun @

I understand that option C is wrong for other reasons, but just wanted to understand, whether the use of Like to compare Samuel and other colonists is correct?

Had the sentence been written ''Like other seventeenth-century colonists, Samuel Sewall viewed marriage'' comparison would have been perfect(right?), but does shifting the ''Like'' to end of the sentence change anything? would comparison still be the same?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than an emotional bond based on romantic love.

Option C: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists, rather than viewing it as
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashutosh_73 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun @

I understand that option C is wrong for other reasons, but just wanted to understand, whether the use of Like to compare Samuel and other colonists is correct?

Had the sentence been written ''Like other seventeenth-century colonists, Samuel Sewall viewed marriage'' comparison would have been perfect(right?), but does shifting the ''Like'' to end of the sentence change anything? would comparison still be the same?

Question: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists, like a property arrangement rather than an emotional bond based on romantic love.

Option C: Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists, rather than viewing it as

Thanks!

Hi ashutosh_73,

That's an interesting point. Let's take a shorter example:
1. Like my brother, I play cricket.

2. I, like my brother, play cricket.

3. I play cricket, like my brother.

(1) and (2) are very similar, but (3) puts the word like right next to cricket. This is not impossible, but it reduces meaning clarity, because now we can't be sure whether like refers to cricket or to I play cricket. Here's another example:

4. I follow the greats, like my brother. ← Does my brother follow the greats, or is he one of the greats?

So to answer your question, although most readers would (probably) understand what "Samuel Sewall viewed marriage to be a property arrangement, like other seventeenth-century colonists" means, we can make the sentence clearer by moving the like-phrase away from the noun property arrangement and closer to the noun Samuel Sewall.
GMAT Club Bot
Samuel Sewall viewed marriage, as other seventeenth-century colonists [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts