Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 05:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:55) correct 42% (00:54) wrong based on 351 sessions
Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat

I think the catch here is to recognize the progressive and non progressive forms !!!!! Another trap question @#$%^&* !!!!!!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 22 May 2013, 04:29, edited 1 time in total.
Edited and added OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 05:44
Nihit wrote:
. Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat

I think the catch here is to recognize the progressive and non progressive forms !!!!! Another trap question @#$%^&* !!!!!!

Answer is D. For generating & for heating must be parallel.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 08:30
nikhiljain05 wrote:
Nihit wrote:
. Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.

IMO "B" "minining and producing

We can say so...but the part with bold above seems quite uncomfortable to be an answer choice. I rather go for D.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 13:09
I pick D.

Did anyone else think that "to" was critical in the construction of the sentence?

"and" is incorrect here because interior must be followed by a comma, for "and" to be in play.

Scientists at the Los Alamos National Laboratory have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating factories and homes.

Can someone correct me?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 19:01
B for me too. 'mining and producing are parallel'
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 01:17
I am unable to comprehend any errors in A. Hence, I will go with A.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 01:36
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating no errors
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat - changes the meaning of the sentence
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat - changes the meaning of the sentence
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating -changes the meaning of the sentence
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat - changes the meaning of the sentence

IMO answer is A
the sentence conveys that the scientist has suceeded in mining and producing energy enough for electricity and heating
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.64
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 01:40
I think I agree with prateek that there is a modifier issue in the A. commercial scale,....
I hate to do this but I change my poll to B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 03:12
Nihit wrote:

IMO B)

A) , C) and D) all have modifier issues. B) is better than E)
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 441 [3] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Nihit wrote:

Mining heat from X to prduce Y

"and" --> incorrect here.

See why "and" is inappropriate here
have succeeded for the first time in mining heat from the Earth’s interior and producing energy on a commercial scale
=
succeded for first time in doing X and doing Y.
above sentence is gramatically correct.. but logically doesn't make sense.

it means first time producing energy on commerical scale but that's not intention of author.
..[ energy might be produced on commerical sacle by other methods ...]

first time in doing X from Z to product Y.

I hope it clear.

Between D and E..

D looks better.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:14
why would u pick D? "have succeceed in mining and to produce" Wrong?

i am not sure between A and B

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 441 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:17
spiridon wrote:
why would u pick D? "have succeceed in mining and to produce" Wrong?

i am not sure between A and B

it should be ..
have succeceed in mining "heat" from "Earth's interior" to produce "energy"..
I don't see any problem with this statement.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:23
Nihit wrote:

The meaning of the sentence is important here. Its the mining of heat from the earth's interior that will lead TO production of energy on a mass scale. The two activities are interlinked, and not separate activities as indicated in the original sentence.

A. "and producing" changes the meaning of the sentence. "enough for efficient generation of electricity" is wordy and unclear
B. "and producing" changes the meaning of the sentence. "for electricity to be generated efficiently" and "to heat" are not parallel
C. "for electricity to be generated efficiently" and "to heat" are not parallel
D. Correct
E. "..for efficient generation of electricity and heat factories and homes" is incorrect

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:28
do we have OA and where this question came from

Actually, we dont know are those scientist succeeded in mining to produce or in mining and producing

they have to mine enough in order to produce enough

so

mining and producing enough as in B

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 18:38
Nihit wrote:

A: Parallelism error - also "producing" not required
B: "to be generated" - WRONG
C: "to heat" parallelism error
D: No error & fits in well
E: "heat...." seems fine....but doesnt go with the original sentence
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 18:44
bigfernhead wrote:
I pick D.

Did anyone else think that "to" was critical in the construction of the sentence?

"and" is incorrect here because interior must be followed by a comma, for "and" to be in play.

Can someone correct me?

You are also CORRECT when you say so.....but what you are pointing out is called CHICAGO ENGLISH style :wink:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:41
spriya wrote:
Nihit wrote:
A. and producing energy on a commercial scale, enough for efficient generation of electricity and heating -> not parallel
B. and producing enough energy on a commercial scale for electricity to be generated efficiently and to heat -> not parallel
C. for energy production on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and to heat -> ELIMINATE not parallel
D. to produce energy on a commercial scale, enough for generating electricity efficiently and for heating -> perfetc parallel IMO
E. to produce enough energy on a commercial scale for efficient generation of electricity and heat ->not parallel incorrect

Why did you determine that "for electricity to be generated efficiently" and "to heat" must be parallel in (B)?
"to be generated efficiently" is obviously parallel to "to heat".
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 12:42
Nihit wrote:

Well, the way I see things is like this:

Scientists have succeeded ... TO PRODUCE (which means a, b and c are instantly out of the question). "In mining", IMO is not the predict of the scientists, but something else. Hence, this sentence needs a predict. A,b and c do not include a valid predict

D,E are the winners. The way I saw the solution is in the word "heat" or "heating." Heat cannot be produced for factories and homes but heating. Therefore, the correct answer is (D)

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 12:36
Would go for B as mining & producing are parallel.
Please post the OA to make it understand.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 20:09
I will go with D for same reason explained above. What is the OA?

Re: GMATprep SC : Scientists   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2010, 20:09