Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [3] , given: 78716

CAT Tests
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2003, 15:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is extending and spawned parallel participial phrases?
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 20:39
bigtreezl wrote:
icandy wrote:
A

extended is superficial parallelism.

is extending is wrong because it is NOT extending now.

why not B?

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

fungus is not extending
ans again missing that implies that extending refers to tentancles!!
Hence apt solution is E than B
HTH

cheers
Its Now Or Never

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 20:50
bigtreezl wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

A. llism.

spawned and extending are paralled.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 21:01
bigtreezl wrote:
icandy wrote:
A

why not B?

extends sounds as if it is still the case.

We are trying to describe a characteristic or feature of X. Thats why I feel extending is better than extends or extended.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 11:00
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
icandy wrote:
A

why not B?

extends sounds as if it is still the case.

We are trying to describe a characteristic or feature of X. Thats why I feel extending is better than extends or extended.

it is still the case isnt it? highway 1 extends from san francisco to LA. The mushroom extends 33 acres.
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 11:15
In the highway example you are clearly stating that it is a present condition. You know it. at least the way you stated it

in the mushroom example we don't know whether it's the case still now. we can clearly say that it was the case at one point.

The sentence describes MR in past tense. spawned by single spore and then talks about a feature of the MR. Hence ing makes more sense to me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 12:49
icandy wrote:
In the highway example you are clearly stating that it is a present condition. You know it. at least the way you stated it

in the mushroom example we don't know whether it's the case still now. we can clearly say that it was the case at one point.

if it was at one point, wouldn't it be extendED?
Director
Director

Re: CR:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 12:51
icandy wrote:

The sentence describes MR in past tense. spawned by single spore and then talks about a feature of the MR. Hence ing makes more sense to me.

I guess you are right...the question stem says scientists "recently" discovered...between recently and now the mushroom could possibly be bigger or smaller.

tough one for me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 13:07
I'd go with C
mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,300 years ago and extended for more than 33 acres
All the sentence is messy, but I think that spawned and exceeded should go together. If it was the other way, punctuation would be different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 15:53
my take for E :

it has to be in present tense because of the "that is" used previuosly in the sentence

"is extending " for paralellism as in : Something that is A and is B (can be read as "that is B")
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 16:14
stallone wrote:
my take for E :

it has to be in present tense because of the "that is" used previuosly in the sentence

"is extending " for paralellism as in : Something that is A and is B (can be read as "that is B")

I wonder if "extend" is the verb for "fungus" or for "tentacles" - if it is for "fungus", then it should be "is extending" or "extends". If it is for "tentacles", then it should be "extending" (i do not think "extended" is correct because "tentacles" extend not are extended.

It is very confusing.
What is OA and what is the explanation?
Director
Director

Re: SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 19:06
:dunnow OA is A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Scientists [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 23:58
" and extending for more than 33 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest" is a modifer clause and correct. Hence A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SC from OG11 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 22:37
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and [b]extending [/b]for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.
A. extending
B. Extends
C. Extended
D. it extended
E. is extending

I dont understand why the present participle extending parallels the past participle spawned?
Can you explain it and give me another example about this? Thanks a lot
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC from OG11 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2008, 22:40
OK, first of all, that is incredibly cool!

Second of all, the answer is A. Cutting out all the unnecessary verbiage,

...a fungus that is a filigree spawned 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres.

Edit: Oops, I just noticed your question. You're wondering about "spawned" being parallel with "extending?" The way I think about tenses is, did this happen at some point in the past (and the event has concluded) or is it still ongoing? In this case, the fungus cannot continually spawn itself; it was spawned exactly one time, so that's past tense. Today, it still exists, so it's present participle extending.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 73 [3] , given: 0

Re: SC from OG11 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2008, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
That's an interesting question about the "present" and "past" participles. Three of the wrong answers are very obviously not parallel; neither the present tense (B), the past tense (D), nor the present progressive (E) can be parallel with a participle. Native English speakers can feel this easily, even if they don't know these grammatical names.

So why is the correct answer A, the "present" participle, instead of C, the "past" participle? As you have probably guessed from the quotation marks, I'm going to suggest that those are bad names. Participles are verb forms being used as adjectives, and they don't really have tense. For example, I can say: "NASA plans to fly men to Mars using a spaceship built in orbit." Both the flight and the construction of the spaceship are clearly in the future, yet the sentence uses the "past" participle "built".

It is more useful and more accurate to call the "-ing" participle the SUBJECTIVE participle, and the "-ed" participle the OBJECTIVE participle. This is because we use "-ing" when the noun that it is modifying would have been the SUBJECT of the verb, and we use "-ed" when the noun that it is modifying would have been the OBJECT of the verb. In the spaceship example, for instance, "spaceship" is the object of the original verb "build".

When we look at the fungus sentence this way, the choice between "extending" and "extended" depends on the meaning: Does the fungus extend, or was it extended BY something? It is fairly clear that we mean the first, not the second, and so we should use the subjective (-ing) participle.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: SC from OG11 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2008, 15:13
Awesome explanation GOM
+1 :beer
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
SC-Scientists [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 07:28
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles sprawned by a single fertilized spore some 10000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A. extending
B. extends
C. extended
D. it extended
E. is extending
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC-Scientists [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
malar wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles sprawned by a single fertilized spore some 10000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A. extending
B. extends
C. extended
D. it extended
E. is extending

A Wins. Because the tense is present and continuous. Still extending... may be extending in future also.
E - has parellism issue
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: SC-Scientists [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 10:45
Hi mates,

IMO A

first becuase it represents the present, and then because //ism:

"a giant fungus that is an interwoven [...] and extending [...].

OA and source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC-Scientists [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 10:46
malar wrote:

A. extending
B. extends
C. extended
D. it extended
E. is extending

giant fungus < that is....> sprawned by single fertilized.. and extending for more than..

A

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Re: SC-Scientists   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2009, 10:46