Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2218 [56]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1173 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Sets A, B, and C have some elements in common. If 16 elements are in [#permalink]
Kudos
I do not agree at all that A is right ans....

Even if u consider 9 are common among A, B and C

still we dont have any clue that

whether

elements which are common b/w B and C also common with A also.... ?

and

whether

elements which are common b/w C and A also common with B too... ?

without these inf... nothing can be said....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Sets A, B, and C have some elements in common. If 16 elements are in [#permalink]
Kudos
smartmanav wrote:
I do not agree at all that A is right ans....

Even if u consider 9 are common among A, B and C

still we dont have any clue that

whether

elements which are common b/w B and C also common with A also.... ?

and

whether

elements which are common b/w C and A also common with B too... ?

without these inf... nothing can be said....

Hiya - the statement reads that "of the 16 elements that are in both A and B, 9 elements are also in C". The first half of this means that there are 16 elements (let's say, 1 to 16) that are in A, and are also in B. The second half of the statement would indicate that of the numbers 1-16, 1-9 are also in C. This allows you to answer the question - there are 9 elements in A, B and C.

Did that clear it up a little?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Just curious about the interpretation of question when it says

If 16 elements are in both A and B

if we draw a venn diagram it means the intersection of all 3 sections and a,b ( hope I made sense)

PS: it isn't the best diagram...
Attachments

template.jpg
template.jpg [ 13.12 KiB | Viewed 41144 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619068 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
Set A, B, C have some elements in common. If 16 elements are in both A and B, 17 elements are in both A and C, and 18 elements are in both B and C, how many elements do all three of the sets A, B, and C have in common?

(1) Of the 16 elements that are in both A and B, 9 elements are also in C
(2) A has 25 elements, B has 30 elements, and C has 35 elements.

Just curious about the interpretation of question when it says

If 16 elements are in both A and B

if we draw a venn diagram it means the intersection of all 3 sections and a,b ( hope I made sense)

PS: it isn't the best diagram...

16 elements are in both A and B means sections d and g below:

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Using statement 1 as statement 2 is insufficient

The answer for the question common elements in all 3 (a,b and c) Statement 1 would be 25

Since C,B =9
A = 7

Correct?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619068 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
Using statement 1 as statement 2 is insufficient

The answer for the question common elements in all 3 (a,b and c) Statement 1 would be 25

Since C,B =9
A = 7

Correct?

(1) says: of the 16 elements that are in both A and B, 9 elements are also in C --> sets A, B, and C have in 9 elements in common.

Your answer does not make sense: if A and B have 16 elements in common, how can A, B, and C have more elements in common than only A and B?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatpapa wrote:
Set A, B, C have some elements in common. If 16 elements are in both A and B, 17 elements are in both A and C, and 18 elements are in both B and C, how many elements do all three of the sets A, B, and C have in common?

fozzzy wrote:
Hi,
Could you please explain this particular question? Thanks in Advance!

Dear Fozzzy,
I got your p.m. and I am happy to help. :-)

First, the prompt.
16 elements are in both A and B --- this 16 includes elements that are just in A & B as well as elements in A & B & C.
17 elements are in both A and C --- this 17 includes elements that are just in A & C as well as elements in A & B & C.
18 elements are in both B and C --- this 18 includes elements that are just in B & C as well as elements in A & B & C.

To understand this, think about real world categories (these categories will include more elements than 18). Suppose
A = set of males
B = set of people who hold public office in the United States of America
C = set of people who are African-American.

Some people are just in one of these categories. I'm a member of A, but not B or C. My senators Dianne Feinstein & Barbara Boxer are members of B, but not A or C. Oprah Winfrey & Alice Walker are members of C but not A or B. The US Secretary of State, John Kerry, is a member of sets A & B but not C. By contrast, the US President, Barack Obama, is a member of all three sets. If I say: list people who are members of A & B, then it would be perfectly acceptable to list both Kerry and Obama --- all males who hold public office would be listed, irrespective of their race. The set of people in A & B, male office holders, would include some members who were part of C (such as Obama) and some members who were not part of C (such as Kerry).

Now, the statements.
Well, the members of the intersection set A & B includes some elements that are part of C and some elements that are not part of C. The 9 elements of (A & B) who are also included in C are the the nine elements common to all three sets. The remaining 7 would be those elements that, like John Kerry, are members of A & B but not C. Thus, this statement gives us enough information to answer the question, so it is sufficient.

Did you have a question about the second statement as well?

Mike :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:

Hi dear math experts, I'm just trying to refresh my skills for 3-Way-Venn-Diagram, would appreciate some comments on my solution. Thanks.
(1) This gives us straight the solution. A,b,c have 9 elements in common. Sufficient
(2) Clearly not sufficient, as we have no info about the TOTAL and the elements in group NEITHER (see formula: Total=a+b+c-Sum of 2-Group overlaps+All 3+Neither)

Answer A
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
BrainLab wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

Hi dear math experts, I'm just trying to refresh my skills for 3-Way-Venn-Diagram, would appreciate some comments on my solution. Thanks.
(1) This gives us straight the solution. A,b,c have 9 elements in common. Sufficient
(2) Clearly not sufficient, as we have no info about the TOTAL and the elements in group NEITHER (see formula: Total=a+b+c-Sum of 2-Group overlaps+All 3+Neither)

Answer A

Dear BrainLab,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, you seem to understand quite well.

If you would like more info on 2-way and 3-way Venn Diagrams, see this post:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sets-venn-diagrams/

Best of luck!
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
if elements are a member of a and b, there are two possibilities. Either they can be in a, b, AND c. or they can be in ONLY a and b. It is very easy to see with a venn diagram. So let x = belongs to A,B, and C. Let y be ONLY belongs to A and B. Then x+y=16. Y is given as 9 from the first statement. That is what we want. So the number of elements belonging to A, B, AND C is 9.

We can attempt a formula for statement two. 25+35+30-(16+17+18)+x+neither=?
We have two many unknowns.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM