Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Shoot for the stars, reach a treetop [#permalink]
whiplash2411 wrote:
Took GMAT Prep I, v 2 and scored a 770. I am ELATED!

Score Breakdown: Q50 (8 questions wrong) V47 (6 questions wrong).

Things done differently:

1. I sat in a room by myself and made sure to tune out all distractions.
2. I took notes for RC and CR and rechecked my answer with the answer I chose to make sure that it made sense.
3. I did the ABCDE POE for all the verbal questions.
4. If I didn't know an answer on Quant, I didn't just guess and move on. Instead, I gave myself 3 minutes for questions I didn't have an answer to off the top of my head and tried to work it out. I also had the timing vs. question number breakdown written on a piece of paper to make sure I stayed on track.
5. I finished the Quant section with 28 minutes to spare but I sat through the Verbal section and only had like 7 minutes left when I ended the exam, which I feel is a MAJOR contribution to this score.

Most important takeaway: My study schedule is helping me. But I am not going to get complacent. I plan to start working on the OG or the MGMAT books tomorrow and take another practice test (probably MGMAT) within this week to corroborate my score (and make sure it wasn't some freak stroke of luck, which I hope it wasn't).

Things to study:

1. Bold Faced Questions - Got three of these and got 2 of them wrong. I had no idea what I was doing. One was in an RC. I also got one other RC question about the tone of the passage wrong, so I need to work on that as well.
2. Geometric properties of circles and triangles - Got 3 of these and got 2 wrong again.
3. Modifiers and certain random idioms - Got 3 of these wrong.

Overall:
Happy with the result! :) Going to do some GMAT Club Tests now!

WOOT! WOOT! CONGRATS!!!!!!
On track for 800 huh? V47 is awesome!!!! I guess a few more revisions of geometry and you could move that Q score from 50 to 51 :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
It's the second time, Dawg. Took GMAT Prep 1 before I started and this is the second time. For all practical purposes, I didn't have any repeats either.

Thanks srjaidev!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, London Business School
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Whiplash,

I have been following your posts and progress!! Thanks for all the great reviews and write-ups!!

Good luck for the big day!! You are sure to get a great score!!

I am another Southie Indian girl, though much older!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Waoo, great!! Keep it up!!

Great to see the change in strategy. Best of luck!!
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Good Job WL!

By the way what time strategy are you using? Can you explain for Q and V?

whiplash2411 wrote:
Took GMAT Prep I, v 2 and scored a 770. I am ELATED!

Score Breakdown: Q50 (8 questions wrong) V47 (6 questions wrong).

Things done differently:

1. I sat in a room by myself and made sure to tune out all distractions.
2. I took notes for RC and CR and rechecked my answer with the answer I chose to make sure that it made sense.
3. I did the ABCDE POE for all the verbal questions.
4. If I didn't know an answer on Quant, I didn't just guess and move on. Instead, I gave myself 3 minutes for questions I didn't have an answer to off the top of my head and tried to work it out. I also had the timing vs. question number breakdown written on a piece of paper to make sure I stayed on track.
5. I finished the Quant section with 28 minutes to spare but I sat through the Verbal section and only had like 7 minutes left when I ended the exam, which I feel is a MAJOR contribution to this score.

Most important takeaway: My study schedule is helping me. But I am not going to get complacent. I plan to start working on the OG or the MGMAT books tomorrow and take another practice test (probably MGMAT) within this week to corroborate my score (and make sure it wasn't some freak stroke of luck, which I hope it wasn't).

Things to study:

1. Bold Faced Questions - Got three of these and got 2 of them wrong. I had no idea what I was doing. One was in an RC. I also got one other RC question about the tone of the passage wrong, so I need to work on that as well.
2. Geometric properties of circles and triangles - Got 3 of these and got 2 wrong again.
3. Modifiers and certain random idioms - Got 3 of these wrong.

Overall:
Happy with the result! :) Going to do some GMAT Club Tests now!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mainhoon: I am not sure what you mean by strategy.

As an engineering student who went vigorous training for the JEE, my math fundamentals are pretty strong and I didn't really study anything for math. And mind you, this was only a practice GMAT and not the actual one, so no one knows. I started working on the GMAT Club tests and noted any new trick or property I overlooked while coming to an answer. In terms of the DS questions, I use the AD/BCE strategy.

For verbal, I used Aristotle Prep for SC. This book was amazing. It really broke down the facts to the bare minimums and it was an awesome way to internalize the rules since it was all bullet pointed. After that I went through MGMAT SC - literally skimmed for rules that might not have been mentioned on the Grail document. For CR, I put together my own document after consulting many different books and for RC - this time, I just painstakingly wrote down the main point, how the passage was structured and so on. This was a strategy I learned in a trial Knewton class I took very long ago. And it worked.

Reading vertically for SC is a great place to start. You can eliminate a bunch of answers at once and spot the differences very easily instead of reading through all the options and wasting time.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else. I'll post my SC checklist document soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
great whip....keep doing good work...thanks for sharing reviews and strategies.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Whiplash publications presents
Bang, Bang CR and
Boom, Boom SC
Nominated for Pulitzer prize for explanatory reporting :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Haha, jaidev you crack me up.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Great Score whip. I m sure your score would inflate the 99%ile score.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks Gurpreet. I hope that it works out on the GMAT Day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
awesome score! good luck :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Took MGMAT CAT 2 and scored a 720 on it (Q48 V40). I found the Quantitative section to be retardedly hard. I had way too many Geometry/Combinatorics question than the regular norm or what I had encountered on GMAT Prep. I got 13/37 questions wrong and still ended up with a 48 - that's a third of the questions wrong. I was also checking the assessment report generated for this CAT and it said that the average difficulty level of the problems I got in Quant was around a 750.

In Verbal, I fumbled the most on Reading Comprehension. The passages were long and boring, but I read them pretty carefully, and yet, I found that I was down to two close answer choices and couldn't choose. This was the same with some of the argument/assumption questions, where even the negation test wasn't helping me much. In the end, I'd just pick a choice and move on. And I ended up with 15 wrong out of 41 and still a Verbal score of 40. I looked at the average difficulty of questions wrong, and it was 750 for CR and SC and 720 for RC.

This has shown me time and again, that I need to focus even more on the exam when I take it, and try to avoid any form of distraction. I am not unhappy with this score, but I think I could have done better. The Quant was especially brutal. When I was taking the test, I was expecting a 40-42. Hopefully, I'll do better on the next one, after practicing the difficult passages from RC99 and perhaps going through all the Question Banks on MGMAT.

The Assessment by Topic told me that Number Properties and Geometry were the areas where my hit rate was below a 90%. Going to work on those topics by doing more GMAT Club tests and reading through the books again. In Reading Comprehension, I am mainly missing the tone of the passage. In CR, I had about 4 Bold Faced questions, of which I only got one right. So I am going to have to work on that as well. But at least, I am happy in knowing that my scores from the GMAT Prep a couple of days ago was not a complete fluke, since I feel like a 720 on this MGMAT would be equal to at least a 720-730 on the actual GMAT.

Hopefully, studying gets better before I have to take the actual GMAT!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Just took a free Knewton diagnostic test, and I got a 750 (Q48 V45). I had 5 mistakes in Quant and 10 in Verbal. Out of these mistakes, I realized, that I had 2 in the first 10 questions for each of the two sections. I finished Quant in 51 minutes and Verbal in 36 minutes. I am actually pretty pumped that I am scoring this high. I just hope that I don't go on a downward trend now. Hopefully, this momentum lasts until December 29th!
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 11.03 KiB | Viewed 2426 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Just took a free Knewton diagnostic test, and I got a 750 (Q48 V45). I had 5 mistakes in Quant and 10 in Verbal. Out of these mistakes, I realized, that I had 2 in the first 10 questions for each of the two sections. I finished Quant in 51 minutes and Verbal in 36 minutes. I am actually pretty pumped that I am scoring this high. I just hope that I don't go on a downward trend now. Hopefully, this momentum lasts until December 29th!

Thats excellent score. I don't think you need to wait till December 29th to take the test. You could reach 770/780 with consistent preparation. On the same test, I scored 550 with verbal 27. RC seems to be killing my verbal score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Wow, that's an awesome score, except for you I actually haven't read of anyone scoring that high on Knewton yet. Their scoring algorithm seems to be quite different from that of GMAT Prep. I'd say that with only 5 mistakes in the Quant section you'd get at least 49 (rather 50) on GMAT prep (even if you make the errors rather in the beginning of the section, make consecutive mistakes, etc.). Just my guess, I'm still waiting for someone to crack the code of the GMAT Prep software and let us know how the scoring really works :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 939 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Pitt, Oregon, LBS...
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

Three words:

You

Are

A

Monster.

(Let's not count "A" as a word).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts