Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: should I postpone my GMAT? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Alvaro,

Back in March, you described your tentative Study Plan (linked below) - did you end up following that plan?

strategy-to-study-215455.html#p1663176

Given your score goal and practice CAT scores, you'll likely end up having to retest later on this year. As it stands, there's no harm in taking the GMAT as scheduled (you can cancel the score if you're not happy with it - but if you do, then you should make note of your Scores so that we can discuss them later). The time 'off' will likely impact your skills a bit, but it's unlikely that you'll completely forget everything that you've learned during that time. When you get back, we can talk through how best to prepare going forward.

The Verbal section of the GMAT is challenging for many Test Takers for 2 reasons:

1) There are no 'safety nets' in Verbal questions, so if you make a little mistake you won't be able to catch it (you'll just end up selecting one of the wrong answers).
2) Test Takers are at their most tired during the Verbal section; at some point, you will think "I just want this Test to be over..." and you'll end up putting in less effort, taking fewer notes, etc. and missing out on lots on 'gettable' questions.

Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. This is all meant to say that you really have to learn/practice the proper Tactics, and learn all of the patterns and little 'secrets' to the Verbal section, to significantly improve that Score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 310
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
alramda wrote:
Hi,
So I'm freaking out.
I've scheduled my GMAT test for the 25th of July thinking that I could do better and my best results so far are V28 and Q43 590 in different exams on veritas. And I am aiming to 670 or up.
I did get on one of the GMAT club test Q 38 but then I don't know if it's reliable or not?
My main issue is in verbal, I can't get all areas right, I do much better in CR than RC and SC but then if I focus on SC I get RC bad. I feel like a total mess! And not only verbal speaking but also nerve wise.
The thing is also that I have planned some vacations, a wedding and a family trip from the 27th of July until August 15th.
So should I postpone my exam until mid September? Does anyone have any recommendation about how to improve on verbal, generally?
Thank you very much!!

Posted from my mobile device

Hello!
This may be too late, but you can reschedule your GMAT if it's more than 7 days away for an extra $50.00 fee.
If you feel as though you really are not ready for the test, you can reschedule it for the extra fee.

As it stands, it seems like your test is exactly 7 days away.
There website states within 7 days (which I believe is 7 days inclusive) it will cost another $250.00 so you might as well take it in a week.
If I were you I would give them a call and see what the policy is on this and do it ASAP!

https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked- ... tment.aspx

Good luck to you if you have to take it in a week!
Kurai
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
Schools: Madison '18
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
alramda wrote:
Hi,
So I'm freaking out.
I've scheduled my GMAT test for the 25th of July thinking that I could do better and my best results so far are V28 and Q43 590 in different exams on veritas. And I am aiming to 670 or up.
I did get on one of the GMAT club test Q 38 but then I don't know if it's reliable or not?
My main issue is in verbal, I can't get all areas right, I do much better in CR than RC and SC but then if I focus on SC I get RC bad. I feel like a total mess! And not only verbal speaking but also nerve wise.
The thing is also that I have planned some vacations, a wedding and a family trip from the 27th of July until August 15th.
So should I postpone my exam until mid September? Does anyone have any recommendation about how to improve on verbal, generally?
Thank you very much!!

I feel that you need to strategize your verbal. RC is the make or break - target to complete al RCs in 20-25 min should give decent time to complete CR and SC. Personally speaking I myself have postponed my GMAT once - my first score was 660 and later is scored 740. If money is not a problem then give and see if the score is to your liking, otherwise target giving the exam again in mid sep. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kurai wrote:
alramda wrote:
Hi,
So I'm freaking out.
Thank you very much!!

Hello!
This may be too late, but you can reschedule your GMAT if it's more than 7 days away for an extra $50.00 fee.
If you feel as though you really are not ready for the test, you can reschedule it for the extra fee.

There website states within 7 days (which I believe is 7 days inclusive) it will cost another $250.00 so you might as well take it in a week.
If I were you I would give them a call and see what the policy is on this and do it ASAP!

Kurai

Thanks, I realized it was already too late to postpone so, I have decided I'm just gonna take it and see where I'm standing at. I will not probably meet my target score but I could also be surprised. I have learned this week that I tend to do better when I'm not feeling that much pressure. So we will see what happenes on Monday, otherwise I can always retake it.
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pradeepbhatt0401 wrote:
alramda wrote:
Hi,
So I'm freaking out.
Thank you very much!!

I feel that you need to strategize your verbal. RC is the make or break - target to complete al RCs in 20-25 min should give decent time to complete CR and SC. Personally speaking I myself have postponed my GMAT once - my first score was 660 and later is scored 740. If money is not a problem then give and see if the score is to your liking, otherwise target giving the exam again in mid sep. All the best.

Thanks, yes the verbal is the main issue but I'm working on it. I will take it and see where I'm at. And take it again if needed.
Thanks for replying!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 310
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
alramda wrote:
Kurai wrote:
alramda wrote:
Hi,
So I'm freaking out.
Thank you very much!!

Hello!

Kurai

Thanks, I realized it was already too late to postpone so, I have decided I'm just gonna take it and see where I'm standing at. I will not probably meet my target score but I could also be surprised. I have learned this week that I tend to do better when I'm not feeling that much pressure. So we will see what happenes on Monday, otherwise I can always retake it.
Thanks!

You have nothing to lose now! Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot