Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [6]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Strategy to study [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There are a variety of ways you could approach preparing. Likely starting with the Official Guide is not the way to go in your case, because you need to learn some things before you will get the full benefit of doing the questions in the OG.

If you buy any more books, you should get the ebook versions not the paper versions, in order to avoid the destructiveness and bad karma of paper production.

Another thing that is key is realizing that in preparing for the GMAT you are not studying for a typical test. What you are basically doing is training to play a logic game. So handle the project accordingly.

For instance, the quant questions don't really test knowledge of math. The math concepts are fairly simple and are mostly just building blocks of questions used to test your skill in using resources to get to answers and make decisions.

Similarly in sentence correction what's being tested is not knowledge of grammar rules per se, but rather one's sense of logic and eye for key details.

So what I am getting at is that probably you won't learn to rock the GMAT just by reading some stuff in a book or by watching videos. In addition to doing those things, likely in order to learn to play the game at a high level, you will need to spend a fair amount of time actively playing the game, by carefully doing practice questions and learning how to get right answers and by taking practice tests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Strategy to study [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Alvaro,

Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice CAT score, so you're not alone. Your 430 isn't terrible though, considering you still have so much to learn. It does show that you'll have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections though. A 700+ score is the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. As you can imagine, most Test Takers can't get to that level by studying on their own, so investing in the right practice materials is key.

Beyond doing lots of practice problems, you'll likely need consistent, professional guidance so that you can learn all of the patterns, tactics and 'secrets' of the GMAT (without having to try to figure out all of that stuff on your own). As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (https://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business Schools?
2) Which Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks!

I know it's not going to be easy, but if some people have done it, it's not impossible. I also know that I will have to invest a lot of time on it and prepare on different ways (strategy, mentally and practice tests).
I'm planning (not sure yet) to apply this year during R1 and R2 to (not necessarily in that order) Wharton, Ross, Fuqua, Tippie, Kenan-Flager.
Regardless of where I'll be applying, I still aim for +700.

Alvaro
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
There are a variety of ways you could approach preparing. Likely starting with the Official Guide is not the way to go in your case, because you need to learn some things before you will get the full benefit of doing the questions in the OG.

If you buy any more books, you should get the ebook versions not the paper versions, in order to avoid the destructiveness and bad karma of paper production.

Another thing that is key is realizing that in preparing for the GMAT you are not studying for a typical test. What you are basically doing is training to play a logic game. So handle the project accordingly.

For instance, the quant questions don't really test knowledge of math. The math concepts are fairly simple and are mostly just building blocks of questions used to test your skill in using resources to get to answers and make decisions.

Similarly in sentence correction what's being tested is not knowledge of grammar rules per se, but rather one's sense of logic and eye for key details.

So what I am getting at is that probably you won't learn to rock the GMAT just by reading some stuff in a book or by watching videos. In addition to doing those things, likely in order to learn to play the game at a high level, you will need to spend a fair amount of time actively playing the game, by carefully doing practice questions and learning how to get right answers and by taking practice tests.

Thanks for your response, and I also believe is a exam not to test ability itself, also strategy, because quant doesn't seem very advanced, is just reasoning and strategy. I will use all practice tests that are available for sure!
GMAT Club Bot