Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 06:09
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 05:02
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:02) correct 56% (00:58) wrong based on 283 sessions
Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors. What is the probability that exactly one person will push the button for each floor?

(A) 6!/6^6
(B) 6^6/6!
(C) 6/6!
(D) 6/6^6
(E) 1/6^6
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29190
Followers: 4738

Kudos [?]: 50097 [6] , given: 7528

Re: Six people [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 05:11
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
caliber23 wrote:
Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors. What is the probability that exactly one person will push the button for each floor?

(A) 6!/6^6
(B) 6^6/6!
(C) 6/6!
(D) 6/6^6
(E) 1/6^6


Each person out of 6 has 6 options, hence total # of outcomes is 6^6;

Favorable outcomes will be 6!, which is # of ways to assign 6 different buttons to 6 people:
1-2-3-4-5-6 (floors)
A-B-C-D-E-F (persons)
B-A-C-D-E-F (persons)
B-C-A-D-E-F (persons)
...
So basically # of arrangements of 6 distinct objects: 6!.

P=favorable/total=6!/6^6

Answer: A.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2011
Posts: 22
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.8
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Six Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 05:55
Hi, could you please tell me the mistake in the following logic?

First person entering pushes one button, it doesn't matter which: p=1
Second person pushes a button that has not been pressed before. Since one is already pushed, only 5 remain: p=5/6
Same logic for third person: p=4/6
.
.
.

This leaves us with The probability of all pushing a different button of: 1*5/6*4/6*4/6*2/6*1/6 or 5!/6^5

Where's the mistake?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 192
Location: Germany
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: Six Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 05:57
Totol possibilities: 6^6 (Each person may push each level the button)

First floor: 6 person
second floor: 5 person
...
= 6!

Possibility: 6!/6^6 --> A
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29190
Followers: 4738

Kudos [?]: 50097 [0], given: 7528

Re: Six Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 10:48
Expert's post
Gwydion wrote:
Hi, could you please tell me the mistake in the following logic?

First person entering pushes one button, it doesn't matter which: p=1
Second person pushes a button that has not been pressed before. Since one is already pushed, only 5 remain: p=5/6
Same logic for third person: p=4/6
.
.
.

This leaves us with The probability of all pushing a different button of: 1*5/6*4/6*4/6*2/6*1/6 or 5!/6^5

Where's the mistake?


There is no mistake: 6!/6^6=(5!*6)/(6^5*6)=5!/6^5, the same answers.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 29190
Followers: 4738

Kudos [?]: 50097 [0], given: 7528

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:03
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis ; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) ; 12. Tricky questions from previous years.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 31
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [4] , given: 0

Re: Six Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 06:52
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Gwydion wrote:
Hi, could you please tell me the mistake in the following logic?

First person entering pushes one button, it doesn't matter which: p=1
Second person pushes a button that has not been pressed before. Since one is already pushed, only 5 remain: p=5/6
Same logic for third person: p=4/6
.
.
.

This leaves us with The probability of all pushing a different button of: 1*5/6*4/6*4/6*2/6*1/6 or 5!/6^5

Where's the mistake?


Expanding on Gwydion's post - it is true that p=1, but because the answers all have 6 in them, the first person should be written as p=6/6 to make it easier to see the answer:

First person walks in and can push any button (6/6)
Probability that second person will press any of the remaining 5 buttons (5/6)
Probability that third person will press any of the remaining 4 buttons (4/6)
Probability that fourth person will press any of the remaining 3 buttons (3/6)
Probability that fifth person will press either of the remaining 2 buttons (2/6)
Probability that sixth person will press the remaining button (1/6)

\(\frac{6}{6} * \frac{5}{6} * \frac{4}{6} * \frac{3}{6} * \frac{2}{6} * \frac{1}{6} = \frac{6*5*4*3*2*1}{6*6*6*6*6*6} = \frac{6!}{6^6}\)

Answer is A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 6177
Followers: 345

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 01:31
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 133

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 05:15
Does this logic work ?

Assuming we are calculating the options for that one person
we use the number of floors are the options.
Person A presses at the ground floor has 6 options, then 5 options as so on as he goes up. so 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 83

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 05:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shallow9323 wrote:
Does this logic work ?

Assuming we are calculating the options for that one person
we use the number of floors are the options.
Person A presses at the ground floor has 6 options, then 5 options as so on as he goes up. so 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!


Dear shallow9323

Yes, your logic is right.

Calculating Favorable Cases (where each person gets down at a different floor)

Options for Person A = Number of floors that the elevator stops at = 6
Options for Person B = 5 and so on

So total number of ways in which the 6 people can each get down at a different floor = 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!

To give you additional practice for this logic, here's a follow-up question:

Three people are on an elevator that goes to 6 floors. What is the probability that each person will get out of the elevator at a different floor?


Best Regards

Japinder
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 133

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 06:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
shallow9323 wrote:
Does this logic work ?

Assuming we are calculating the options for that one person
we use the number of floors are the options.
Person A presses at the ground floor has 6 options, then 5 options as so on as he goes up. so 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!


Dear shallow9323

Yes, your logic is right.

Calculating Favorable Cases (where each person gets down at a different floor)

Options for Person A = Number of floors that the elevator stops at = 6
Options for Person B = 5 and so on

So total number of ways in which the 6 people can each get down at a different floor = 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!

To give you additional practice for this logic, here's a follow-up question:

Three people are on an elevator that goes to 6 floors. What is the probability that each person will get out of the elevator at a different floor?


Best Regards

Japinder


Thank you.

The practice one is the answer 6*5*4=120 ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Posts: 52
Location: United States
Schools: Kellogg '17, ISB '17
GMAT Date: 05-20-2015
GPA: 3.06
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 37

CAT Tests
Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 06:19
Total no of fav cases-- 6p6

Total no of cases-- 6^6

so ans -- A = 6p6 / 6^6

:D
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 338
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 83

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 21 May 2015, 06:20
Expert's post
shallow9323 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
shallow9323 wrote:
Does this logic work ?

Assuming we are calculating the options for that one person
we use the number of floors are the options.
Person A presses at the ground floor has 6 options, then 5 options as so on as he goes up. so 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!


Dear shallow9323

Yes, your logic is right.

Calculating Favorable Cases (where each person gets down at a different floor)

Options for Person A = Number of floors that the elevator stops at = 6
Options for Person B = 5 and so on

So total number of ways in which the 6 people can each get down at a different floor = 6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6!

To give you additional practice for this logic, here's a follow-up question:

Three people are on an elevator that goes to 6 floors. What is the probability that each person will get out of the elevator at a different floor?


Best Regards

Japinder


Thank you.

The practice one is the answer 6*5*4=120 ?


Dear shallow9323

Yes, you got the number of favorable cases right :)

So, the probability of each person getting out at a different floor = \(\frac{(6*5*4)}{(6*6*6)}\) = \(\frac{5}{9}\)

Best,

Japinder
_________________

https://e-gmat.com/courses/quant-live-prep/

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 53

Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2015, 22:59
Bunuel wrote:
caliber23 wrote:
Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors. What is the probability that exactly one person will push the button for each floor?

(A) 6!/6^6
(B) 6^6/6!
(C) 6/6!
(D) 6/6^6
(E) 1/6^6


HI Experts, it seems there is some problem with stem, it should be exactly one different person, otherwise 6c1/6 *6c1/6...6 times = 1 would be the ans
Re: Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2015, 22:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Exactly 3/7 of the people in the room are under the age of clciotola 3 21 May 2013, 00:53
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the Probability of getting exactly 2 sixes on three Professor5180 3 20 Jan 2012, 15:02
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic The probability that a family with 6 children has exactly GMATMadeeasy 16 08 Jan 2010, 16:56
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a room with 7 people, 4 people have exactly 1 friend in alexperi 13 08 Dec 2007, 12:00
12 Steve gets on the elevator at the 11th floor of a building a AshikaP 6 01 Apr 2006, 21:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Six people are on an elevator that stops at exactly 6 floors

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.