Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619096 [14]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38831 [5]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619096 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Solution P is 20 percent lemonade and 80 percent carbonated water by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Solution P is 20 percent lemonade and 80 percent carbonated water by volume; solution Q is 45 percent lemonade and 55 percent carbonated water by volume. If a mixture of P & Q contains 70 percent carbonated water, what percent of the volume of the mixture is P?

(A) 37.5%
(B) 52.5%
(C) 55%
(D) 60%
(E) 75%

Kudos for a correct solution.

PRINCETON REVIEW OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all, guesstimate! If you were to average the two Solutions, making it 50% P and 50% Q, the mixture would be 67.5% carbonated water. (To figure this out, simply average the percentages of carbonated water in the two Solutions: 80% + 55% = 135%, then divide by 2 and you’ve got 67.5% for the average.) This is pretty close to the answer because the question was asking us for a mixture that contains 70% carbonated water. Since we’re just a little bit low when we average the two solutions, we’re going to need a little bit more than 50% of Solution P in order to bring the percentage of carbonated water up (remember, Solution P has the higher percentage of carbonated water). Thus, at this point, we know the answer is more than 50%, but not much more. Eliminate answer (A). Furthermore, guesstimation should tell us that answer (E) is probably too big.

Next, rather than doing any algebra or other complicated math, use the answers! Our guesstimation has told us that we should check answers (B), (C), and (D) first. Which of the 3 choices would be easiest to check first? To determine this, think about which choice converts to the simplest fraction. It’s certainly not (B)—why mess with the .5? You may or may not know that (C) 55% is 11/20, but that’s certainly not as simple as (D) 60%, which converts to 3/5. Therefore, check (D) first.

If the mixture were 3/5 P, that means 3 parts of the mixture would be P and 2 parts would be Q (3 parts P out of 5 total parts). Write out the percentage of carbonated water for each part: For the 3 parts that are P, that’s 80%; for the 2 parts that are Q, that’s 55%. Thus, you should have:

80% + 80% + 80% + 55% + 55% = 350%

(By the way, it’s not really necessary to write out the % signs.)

All we have to do now is find the average percentage of carbonated water in each of the 5 parts: 350% divided by 5 = 70%. Hey, that’s the percentage we were looking for—bingo!

Now, don’t psyche yourself out by continuing to worry about the percentages—remember that we were checking answer (D), and answer (D) has checked out (given us the answer we were looking for). Officially, this means that to get a mixture that’s 70% carbonated water, you need 60% of it to be Solution P.

The correct answer is (D).

Our sample question shows that you’re often wasting your time on PS if you’re doing complicated algebra or calculations. Always look to guesstimate and/or use the answers first! In the vast majority of cases, this is all you’ll need to do to get the correct answer, so these strategies are far more applicable and useful than brute-force solving with algebra/calculations (with which you’re more likely to make a mistake anyway, especially given the time pressure on the Math section). Guesstimating and using the answers will greatly increase your accuracy and your efficiency!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Solution P is 20 percent lemonade and 80 percent carbonated water by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Solution P is 20 percent lemonade and 80 percent carbonated water by volume; solution Q is 45 percent lemonade and 55 percent carbonated water by volume. If a mixture of P & Q contains 70 percent carbonated water, what percent of the volume of the mixture is P?

(A) 37.5%
(B) 52.5%
(C) 55%
(D) 60%
(E) 75%

I solved it with this equation:
80p+55(1-p)=70
25p=15
p=5/3=60%

I think it is less time wasting than other methods, but I'm not so expert thus if you judge my way wrong or not applicable for other cases let me know.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 37.5%
(B) 52.5%
(C) 55%
(D) 60%
(E) 75%

.8p+.55q=.7(p+q)
p/q=3/2
p/(p+q)=3/5=60%
D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 37.5%
(B) 52.5%
(C) 55%
(D) 60%
(E) 75%

Let P denote the amount of Solution P and let Q denote the amount of Solution Q in the mixture.

We can create the following equation:

0.8P + 0.55Q = 0.7(P + Q)

80P + 55Q = 70P + 70Q

10P = 15Q

2P = 3Q

P = 3Q/2

2P = 3Q

Thus, the volume of P is:

P/(P + Q) = 3P/(3P + 3Q) = 3P/(3P + 2P) = 3P/5P = 3/5 = 60%.

Answer: D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92921 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts