Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V32
GPA: 2.84
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: EE - Power Systems
Schools:McCombs, ISB, Insead, LBS
 Q47  V36 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 1.5
WE 2: 5.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Concentration: EE - Power Systems
Schools:McCombs, ISB, Insead, LBS
 Q47  V36 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 1.5
WE 2: 5.5
Send PM
Re: Starting my GMAT journey...i'm scared! [#permalink]
Also you get +1 kudos for planing and discussing the plan before blindly jumping into prep. (unlike me :oops: who wasted valuable prep time on some useless material)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Thank you for your advice, I looked over the foundations and you're right, it's definitely unnecessary in my case!

I'll post a little later about my experience as I go through the MGMAT strategy guides
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Do you have the breakdown of your score? But you will most likely get the most value from the MGMAT guides. I'm also french and went to a french high school (BAC S) and there are lots of things in the Quant guides that are essentially tricks that I never learned in the french system. Although I could do the problems, they would take me 2-3 times as long as it should, simply because I didn't know these "tricks". I've just finished the number properties guide and it was very helpful. I'm working through the word translation guides and it's very useful as well. Although I don't know your verbal score, I'm assuming you can achieve your goal by improving your verbal. The area you can probably improve significantly by applying rigorous strategy is the SC section. Focusing on this alone may be able to drive you score up!

Either way wishing you the best of luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Yekrut wrote:
Do you have the breakdown of your score? But you will most likely get the most value from the MGMAT guides. I'm also french and went to a french high school (BAC S) and there are lots of things in the Quant guides that are essentially tricks that I never learned in the french system. Although I could do the problems, they would take me 2-3 times as long as it should, simply because I didn't know these "tricks". I've just finished the number properties guide and it was very helpful. I'm working through the word translation guides and it's very useful as well. Although I don't know your verbal score, I'm assuming you can achieve your goal by improving your verbal. The area you can probably improve significantly by applying rigorous strategy is the SC section. Focusing on this alone may be able to drive you score up!

Either way wishing you the best of luck.

May I ask what your profile is? and/or what you'd like to do with your GMAT?

My score breakdown was (Q 48, V 33) and I didn't do it under exact exam conditions so I know these scores are a little bit inflated. My english is nearly that of a native, so I think it took me some time to really understand the type of verbal questions on the GMAT. I think I just need to learn those "tricks" you were talking about.

I have a tendency to underestimate myself, hence the extra preparation time and the amount of books I've purchased. I also want to get in the top business school programs in France so I want to have a REALLY good GMAT score. Anything less than 720 and I'll be very disappointed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
I'm 22 and currently finishing my Master's in Biochemistry from McGill University. I'm looking to get into the top 3 consulting firms (MBB) and then eventually into a top business school (preferably INSEAD). So that's my "profile". I'm guessing we have similar objectives.

Your quant is much stronger than mine, and I'm hoping to work up to your score. By going through the books you'll most likely find some tips and tricks that can push you up in the 50 point range. I've also heard that doing the 25 quant tests on this site are very useful for candidates who score above 45.

Once I can score 48-50 consistently, I'll be focusing on the verbal. My mother is american and I've always gone to a bilingual school, so my english is fairly strong, but my grammar has always been terrible (both french and english). Currently my verbal is about the same level as yours (score wise). I'm going to go through GMAT Ultimate Grammar guide while doing my math review. I hope this will help reinforce all my concepts and maybe reveal some gaps in my knowledge. Once I've gone through that I've heard great things about the MGMAT SC guide. I'll be looking to develop strong strategies to really kill the SC section.

I think if you go through the MGMAT Quant guides and the 25 Quant tests on this site you'll be able to improve your quant to the 49-50 level. The area that shows most promise for improvement though is the verbal section. If you can focus on that and increase your score to 42-43 you are bound to reach your goal.

Wishing you the best!
GMAT Club Bot