Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Feb 2016, 03:13
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 269
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 18:05
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:02) correct 57% (01:11) wrong based on 176 sessions
The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties, would create a permanent club rulebook

A) ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

C) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, that in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

D) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht treaty, Amsterdam treaty and Nice treaty

E) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 66
Schools: UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 50

Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 05:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
saxenashobhit wrote:
The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties, would create a permanent club rulebook

A) ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

C) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, that in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

D) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht treaty, Amsterdam treaty and Nice treaty

E) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty


"Which" in A modifies "successor" but the context of the sentence means that it should modify the Lisbon Treaty instead.

In the rest,
"which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty" is a modifier and a non-essential phrase. So we've to use "which". This rules out C.

B vs D vs E
E - Plural form of treaty (treaties) must be used as there are three treaties discussed.
D - "Treaty" is redundant.
B - Best in the lot and hence the answer.
_________________

The night is at its darkest just before the dawn... never, ever give up!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 269
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2010, 18:07
Kindly post your reasoning for different options.

Correct sentence is from http://www.economist.com/node/17307985
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 247
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 41

Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 05:49
Can B as an answer challenged ? i might be wrong , but i think we can term B as given below

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

Followed Maastricht
Followed Amsterdam
Followed Nice treaties ( treaties may refer to more then one treaty of Nice)

Can anyone comment ?
_________________

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 269
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 08:50
nice explanation yossarian84. Kudos to you
_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 340
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 14

Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 12:37
hirendhanak wrote:
Can B as an answer challenged ? i might be wrong , but i think we can term B as given below

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

Followed Maastricht
Followed Amsterdam
Followed Nice treaties ( treaties may refer to more then one treaty of Nice)

Can anyone comment ?



I agree with you , this answer looks debatable and i would like to know the source of this question
_________________

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Apr 2010
Posts: 173
Location: singapore
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Modifier and which s that [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 01:38
) ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties ---> Check possesive - Out A

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

C) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, that in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties --> THAT is incorrectly placed

D) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht treaty, Amsterdam treaty and Nice treaty --> NOTICE Maastricht treaty ....this is OUT

E) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty --NOTICE Amsterdam and Nice treaty ......this is OUT
_________________

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 12

Re: The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2015, 19:15
yossarian84 wrote:
saxenashobhit wrote:
The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties, would create a permanent club rulebook

A) ill-fated European Union constitution's successor, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

B) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

C) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, that in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties

D) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht treaty, Amsterdam treaty and Nice treaty

E) successor to the ill-fated European Union constitution, which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty


"Which" in A modifies "successor" but the context of the sentence means that it should modify the Lisbon Treaty instead.

In the rest,
"which in turn followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaty" is a modifier and a non-essential phrase. So we've to use "which". This rules out C.

B vs D vs E
E - Plural form of treaty (treaties) must be used as there are three treaties discussed.
D - "Treaty" is redundant.
B - Best in the lot and hence the answer.


Added color and bold for emphasis.
Without reading this article in The Economist, how can we clearly discern what the "which in turn followed the X, Y and Z treaties" is supposed to modify?
A) The Lisbon Treaty was the ill-fated EU Constitution's successor. The successor was in turn followed by X, Y and Z treaties.
B) The Lisbon Treaty was the successor to the ill-fated EU Constitution. The EU Constitution was in turn followed by X, Y and Z treaties.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2015, 01:24
Understanding the author's intended meaning can make the elimination process easier.
The author's intended meaning is as follows: The Lisbon treaty followed the European Union constitution and the European Union constitution itself followed the Maastricht, Amsterdam and Nice treaties.

Between A & the rest:
If you get rid of the two modifiers, you have a simple sentence to begin with: "The Lisbon treaty would create a permanent club (EU's) rulebook".
Since the focus of the sentence is on the Lisbon Treaty not the constitution or the other treaties, you should bring "successor" closer to the Lisbon Treaty to describe it in the beginning of the first modifier.
Otherwise, it is not clear if "ill-fated" describes the Lisbon Treaty - the successor or the EU constitution, as in the case of (A). So (A) is wrong.

Between C & B,D, and E:
The presence of the word "in turn" suggests that the author wants to describe "the ill-fated European Union constitution" itself by the following modifier.

(B),(D), and (E) use the correct pronoun "which" to connect the noun closest to it, "the ill-fated European Union constitution" with its description "It followed or succeeded the three older treaties".
It is grammatically correct to use "which" since these treaties are unique and the additional pieces of information contained in the modifiers are non-essential.

(C) uses the wrong pronoun "that", which mistakenly refers to the Lisbon Treaty, implying that the Lisbon Treaty directly followed the older treaties, with nothing in between. So (C) is out.

Between B & D, and E:
(E) is clearly wrong for using singular form of the word "treaty" to refer to three treaties.
(D) is wrong for redundant use of "treaty".
(B) is more efficient than (D) for its use of "treaties".
The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2015, 01:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 According to the Constitution kingb 4 01 Mar 2014, 07:28
20 Experts publish their posts in the topic The European Union announced that cod and mackerel are the PTK 19 18 Jan 2011, 00:10
80% of laptops that were sold in European Union last year vaivish1723 4 03 Jul 2009, 01:23
Under a provision of the Constitution that was never prasannar 3 20 Feb 2008, 04:14
Under a provision of the Constitution that was never vc_pec 5 02 May 2007, 10:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Lisbon treaty, ill-fated European Union constitution's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.