Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 07:17

Going on Right now:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2011 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 15:14
Hi srjaidev and bpenn,

To your questions:

1) Yes there are plenty of admits with 3-4 years of work ex. The average is around 5 years. LBS strongly recommends applicants to have at least 2 years of work ex.

2) LBS does not intentionally admit students with few years of work experience. It's all about the maturity of applicants. So someone with 3 years of work ex might show the same career progression and maturity as someone with 5 years of work ex. It's all about quality instead of quantity. At the same time, while some students have up to 10 years of work ex, there is also a variance in post-MBA employment. A young guy with 3 years of work ex prob won't have the same post-MBA goals and options like someone with 10 years of work ex (assuming both progress at the same pace in your career).

3) A good GMAT can definitely offset a low GPA. In fact, a higher GMAT is probably more favorable than a higher GPA.

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICAI, CIMA
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, ISB and......
WE 1: N.C.Rajagopal & Co, Chartered Accountants
WE 2: NCR Consultants Limited
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 21:46
Hi MBA Volunteers..

I have given my CV below. I know my gmat score is low but will the two professional qualifications help me.. Please share your thoughts and comments about my prospects of getting an Interview Call:

EDUCATION

GMAT 660 (Q 44 V 36)

Associate Chartered Management Accountant (ACMA) 56.60 (From Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), United Kingdom)

Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) 57.25 (From Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), India)

Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) 68.00 (From University of Madras, India)

Higher Secondary (Std XII) 97.00 (From State Board of Tamil Nadu, India)

EMPLOYMENT

1. Company : NCR Consultants Limited
Position : Management Consultant
Period : Oct 2008 – Till Date

• Successfully developed business plan and recommended an investment location for an overseas investment of INR 2000 Million for the establishment of a manufacturing unit in India.

• Assisted an overseas investor in takeover of a listed company for a value of INR 200 Million and prepared business valuation and due diligence reports which was used by the investors for the purpose of negotiation with the promoters.

• Valued companies spread across industries such as shipping, cement, steel and engineering for the purpose of acquisition and disinvestment.

• Structured business processes and implemented Management Information Systems (MIS) including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for companies spread across industries such as cement, poultry, chit funds, diary and engineering both in India and overseas.

• Carried out market research to estimate the market potential of a product with a market size of INR 30 Billion for new Indian market entrant and provided market entry strategy.

• Prepared project reports for raising debt funds and negotiated with the banks for rising of funds. Assisted in rising INR 500 Million for one of the clients.

2. Company: N.C.Rajagopal & Co, Chartered Accountants
Position : Article Trainee
Period : Sept 2005 – Sept 2008

• Carried out audits for a number of Public and Private Sector Companies across various Industries such as Banking, Construction, Mining, Manufacturing, Hospitality, Healthcare, and Distillery, in the capacity of Team Leader.

ACHIEVEMENTS AND INTERESTS

• KEC Food Court and Reshmi Industries [Jan 2010 to Till date] (Family Business)

Mentored family business and developed selling strategies leading to increase in revenues by nearly 20% of the total sales.

Helped in acquisition of a manufacturing company for a value of INR 5 Million by carrying out due diligence, valuing the business and participating in the negotiations.

Developed and implemented processes pertaining to procurement, sales, inventory accounting and MIS which helped the business transition from being Individual Driven to System Driven.

• Earned highest rank of "Petty Cadet Corp" in the National Cadet Corps and was awarded "Best Cadet" award among 500 cadets at a highly selective Naval NCC training camp.

• Was part of the “Citizen Journalist” programme by the BBC during the Indian General Election’09.

• Started a social welfare organization, Virutcham, in association with likeminded friends to provide monetary assistance to children who are economically and socially challenged. Sponsored 7 children within a year of commencement of the initiative.

• Completed basic level in learning Spanish.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 01:28
Thank you, Thomas! You're group mbavolunteers(dot)org is of great help for people like me - I do not have any one in my family or friends circle who have had MBA(abroad) admissions experience.

Forgive me for asking, but are you an active member in this forum? I planned on doing my essays (and the necessary read up on LBS) only from October, once I am done with my GMAT/IELTS. If you won't be available in October, might as well ask all my doubts this month itself :-).

It was after talks with some cousins of mine and friends who just graduated from Indian Business Schools that I found out about MBA and how it could help me. London Business School was the 1st school that I looked up (mostly because its London, I have always been fascinated by UK) and is still my dream school.
I was initially overwhelmed by articles and posts on the amount of effort people put into MBA Admissions and by tons of super-profiles that I saw, but now I decided that the best way to go is to stick to one forum where I can have current-students/alumni for advice and information, and peers for progress-checks.

Brad, I guess Thomas's reply must have brought a sigh of relief in you too :-).
How is your preparation going on? I see that you have started really early. Here is something I read from your 1st post in this topic -
Quote:
I've already read a couple MBA Admissions books and have a spreadsheet filled with my brainstorming for the general topics that appear on the essays.

So which all books did you read? and is this spreadsheet something you found from one of your books or your own creation? Would you please share it :-)

Here is how my preparation is going on:
1. Read Kaplan Verbal foundations
2. Did most of the questions from OG quantitative review, Verbal review and GMAT review.
3. Took the GMATPrep Practice test 1 (yesterday) - scored 730 [Q49 V41] - and I thought I was good in Quant :-o, I am hoping to improve on that score.

I found that I am poor in AWA. I plan on spending avg. 2 hours on it till I am comfortable (mostly trying out the issues and arguments in OG or MBA(dot)com).

I will do a progress check in the 2nd weekend of September and decide on my GMAT date and future plans, and start working on my essays then.
I haven't decided on the other schools I will be applying to, mostly because I am looking for a 2 year MBA course and Europe has only so many - not that US doesn't excite me, I have always wanted to travel around Europe and what better (and inexpensive) way to do so than as students, :-), will we get the time? :O. European schools also seem to have a better international mix.

Oh yeah, my profile -

24 M Indian
Work Experience - 3-4 years at matriculation in software development.
International experience - no 'live in' working experience :( (Does being brought up in Dubai count? :P)
GMAT - Yet to write
GPA - low
Application round - 2
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 11:18
Application deadlines for Fall 2011 are out :

http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html

I'm a little concerned, it seems that the application form shall become available towards the end of September, and R1 deadline is the first week of October? That gives my recommenders less than 2 weeks to write LORs...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 12:06
srjaidev wrote:
Brad, I guess Thomas's reply must have brought a sigh of relief in you too :-).
How is your preparation going on? I see that you have started really early. Here is something I read from your 1st post in this topic -
Quote:
I've already read a couple MBA Admissions books and have a spreadsheet filled with my brainstorming for the general topics that appear on the essays.

So which all books did you read? and is this spreadsheet something you found from one of your books or your own creation? Would you please share it :-)

I have a book from Stacy Blackman and one from Avi Gordon. No, the excel spreadsheet is just a database of thoughts on different things. I've been keeping a log of my ideas for the different essays since Spring so I have a pool of topics to draw upon. I find that while I am trying to fall asleep my brain will occasionally produce a great idea for the essays, so I go sit down and hammer the idea onto the spreadsheet for later on. One time I was on a roll and ended up writing the whole essay that night and came back to bed at 2:30am. I'm not really a night owl, but something must be happening in my brain at night.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 12:08
Embeayy wrote:

I'm a little concerned, it seems that the application form shall become available towards the end of September, and R1 deadline is the first week of October? That gives my recommenders less than 2 weeks to write LORs...

They just changed it to read "late September". That concerns me too. Not much lead time for rec's. Other than that I don't have a problem with 2-3 weeks to input my info and essays.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 429 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 13:54
Hot off the press Class of 2012 profile:
Age - range from 23-39 with an average age of 28
Work experience - 2138 years in total, ranging from 2 - 14 years with an average of 5 years
GMAT - range from 600 - 780 with an average of 701
Females - 27.7% (increased from 27%)
Primary nationalities - 62 (increased from 59)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:17
A quick question -
I plan to apply to colleges in round 2 (deadlines around end of dec or beg of Jan). I ll be most probably applying to 4-5.
I will be writing my GMAT only in October. Initially I was planning on working on the essays after that, but now I am a little confused because it seems there is alot of self-evaluation and recollection of past ex involved.

So my question is - is 2 months sufficient to write the essays or is it better if I start doing college research and essay drafting now itself?
Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 02:59
Hi srjaidev, to your question, I check GMATclub a few times a week, so not the most active user here probably. But do let us know if you have questions about LBS! Will gladly answer as much as I can. Great to also have BSD around to help as well.

vspradeep2002,

You are right that your academics may be your weak spot in your application. With no offense, but the majority of successful Indian applicants probably score above 700 on the GMAT. Many also come from IIT or were close to the top of their class. Your accounting degrees may help offset this, though I'm not familiar with their scoring. Another weakness may be during your work ex from 2005-2008, where it appears that you may not have progressed that much (at least from what you write in your post).

Having said that, please don't be discouraged at all from applying. Your work ex in the past 2 years is very solid and you also have good extracurricular activities! Great that you founded Virutcham, sounds like an interesting organisation!

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Manager
Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 03:03
srjaidev wrote:
So my question is - is 2 months sufficient to write the essays or is it better if I start doing college research and essay drafting now itself?

Definitely start doing research on b-schools now (please don't refer to them as "colleges" :-) hehe). 2 months is enough time to write essays, but the research has to start as soon as possible (sometimes even 1 year in advance, e.g. attending info sessions, scheduling class visits (where feasible), going to MBA fairs, speaking to alumni, etc.).

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 09:09
oops! :-P
I try making sure that I say/write "b-school", but here in a small town in India people call any institution that gives a degree a "college" which kind of sticks :-(.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 10:19
Hi all,

So I'm actually applying this year (I've been meaning to apply since 2008 and I believe I've posted my intention to apply in the last two LBS threads as well!). I wanted to apply in R1 (don't we all?) but the deadline's in about 2 seconds so I've decided that having 3 extra months to retake the GMAT, take that mbamath.com course, and expand my business (I bake) can only enhance my application. Procrastination is a horrible, horrible thing.

My info:
-26 y/o female from a relatively underrepresented country

-4.5 years' w.e. by matriculation (2 years for-profit in shipping; 10 months non-profit with the special guest on the Oct 13 episode of the Simpsons; 3 years running a non-profit/part-time company turned for-profit/full-time)

-GMAT: To be taken sometime before the end of the year (I literally passed out the first time I took it - not bc of the exam, but because the test center was a bit like hell on earth). Practice scores hover around 700 but it all usually depends on my caffeine intake; I'm aiming for a 750+ because it would obv help with internships/job recruitment.

-GPA: 3.58/4.0 (cum laude) in English Literature (hence the mbamath.com course to offset the fact that I haven't touched math since 12th grade).

-International experience: Born+ brought up in 4 countries until the age of 17; fluent in 3 languages

Totally applying this year. Let the fun begin!

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 12:15
best of luck, sharshar84 :-)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2010, 16:28
bpenn wrote:
Embeayy wrote:

They just changed it to read "late September". That concerns me too. Not much lead time for rec's. Other than that I don't have a problem with 2-3 weeks to input my info and essays.

The website now says mid-September...

Am I being obsessive? I think so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 07:08
tmino wrote:
I actually heard an interesting fact the other day from the MBA director. LBS receives most applications in R2, which is not surprising, but he said that more applications are received in R3 than R1! But there were at least 2-3 times more offers given out in R1 than R3. So always avoid R3 (and of course R4). As to R1 vs. R2; in R1 your chances tend to be better (last year roughly ~180 offers in R1 vs. roughly ~220 offers in R2, but we know that LBS receives way more applications in R2).

Agree though with trump, apply when you can present the best application possible.

Hi Thomas, I saw this post in another thread. The post is pretty old. Does it still hold? :(
I guess its because one gets more time to prepare for the essays in R2 than in R1.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 4

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
srjaidev,

That info was from 2008 - not sure how valid it is anymore. I think it's still true that your best chances are in R1. But then, if you need more time go for R2, but avoid R3/4.

More on LBS rounds:
http://mbajourney2010.blogspot.com/2010 ... apply.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 09:38
I find you blog very useful, especially all the stats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 07:28
Hurray!
I just checked and found that LBS is coming as part of the MBA tour to Bangalore, India!
http://www.thembatour.com/events/bangalore.shtml
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 151

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 19:16
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 20:20
rid82 wrote:
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks

Hi rid82, good question! I have been through the School website quite thoroughly and I haven't found it addressing the school as LBS anywhere. Its almost always London Business School, especially when addressing the faculty or students, and at other times just 'school'. I did a search on the keyword 'LBS' on the site and found that only document names have LBS! :O

So, I would suggest you to keep away from using LBS in the essays.

Perhaps bsd_lover or tmino could answer better.
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2010, 20:20