Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ICAI, CIMA
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Business Advisory, Finance, Process Reengineering, Legal and Audit
Schools:INSEAD, LBS, ISB and......
 Q45  V32 GMAT 2: 660  Q44  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q47  V42
WE 1: N.C.Rajagopal & Co, Chartered Accountants
WE 2: NCR Consultants Limited
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink]
Application deadlines for Fall 2011 are out :

https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html

I'm a little concerned, it seems that the application form shall become available towards the end of September, and R1 deadline is the first week of October? That gives my recommenders less than 2 weeks to write LORs...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
Brad, I guess Thomas's reply must have brought a sigh of relief in you too :-).
How is your preparation going on? I see that you have started really early. Here is something I read from your 1st post in this topic -
Quote:
I've already read a couple MBA Admissions books and have a spreadsheet filled with my brainstorming for the general topics that appear on the essays.

So which all books did you read? and is this spreadsheet something you found from one of your books or your own creation? Would you please share it :-)

I have a book from Stacy Blackman and one from Avi Gordon. No, the excel spreadsheet is just a database of thoughts on different things. I've been keeping a log of my ideas for the different essays since Spring so I have a pool of topics to draw upon. I find that while I am trying to fall asleep my brain will occasionally produce a great idea for the essays, so I go sit down and hammer the idea onto the spreadsheet for later on. One time I was on a roll and ended up writing the whole essay that night and came back to bed at 2:30am. I'm not really a night owl, but something must be happening in my brain at night.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Embeayy wrote:

I'm a little concerned, it seems that the application form shall become available towards the end of September, and R1 deadline is the first week of October? That gives my recommenders less than 2 weeks to write LORs...

They just changed it to read "late September". That concerns me too. Not much lead time for rec's. Other than that I don't have a problem with 2-3 weeks to input my info and essays.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hot off the press Class of 2012 profile:
Age - range from 23-39 with an average age of 28
Work experience - 2138 years in total, ranging from 2 - 14 years with an average of 5 years
GMAT - range from 600 - 780 with an average of 701
Females - 27.7% (increased from 27%)
Primary nationalities - 62 (increased from 59)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
A quick question -
I plan to apply to colleges in round 2 (deadlines around end of dec or beg of Jan). I ll be most probably applying to 4-5.
I will be writing my GMAT only in October. Initially I was planning on working on the essays after that, but now I am a little confused because it seems there is alot of self-evaluation and recollection of past ex involved.

So my question is - is 2 months sufficient to write the essays or is it better if I start doing college research and essay drafting now itself?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi srjaidev, to your question, I check GMATclub a few times a week, so not the most active user here probably. But do let us know if you have questions about LBS! Will gladly answer as much as I can. Great to also have BSD around to help as well.

vspradeep2002,

You are right that your academics may be your weak spot in your application. With no offense, but the majority of successful Indian applicants probably score above 700 on the GMAT. Many also come from IIT or were close to the top of their class. Your accounting degrees may help offset this, though I'm not familiar with their scoring. Another weakness may be during your work ex from 2005-2008, where it appears that you may not have progressed that much (at least from what you write in your post).

Having said that, please don't be discouraged at all from applying. Your work ex in the past 2 years is very solid and you also have good extracurricular activities! Great that you founded Virutcham, sounds like an interesting organisation!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
srjaidev wrote:
So my question is - is 2 months sufficient to write the essays or is it better if I start doing college research and essay drafting now itself?

Definitely start doing research on b-schools now (please don't refer to them as "colleges" :-) hehe). 2 months is enough time to write essays, but the research has to start as soon as possible (sometimes even 1 year in advance, e.g. attending info sessions, scheduling class visits (where feasible), going to MBA fairs, speaking to alumni, etc.).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
oops! :-P
I try making sure that I say/write "b-school", but here in a small town in India people call any institution that gives a degree a "college" which kind of sticks :-(.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Hi all,

So I'm actually applying this year (I've been meaning to apply since 2008 and I believe I've posted my intention to apply in the last two LBS threads as well!). I wanted to apply in R1 (don't we all?) but the deadline's in about 2 seconds so I've decided that having 3 extra months to retake the GMAT, take that mbamath.com course, and expand my business (I bake) can only enhance my application. Procrastination is a horrible, horrible thing.

My info:
-26 y/o female from a relatively underrepresented country

-4.5 years' w.e. by matriculation (2 years for-profit in shipping; 10 months non-profit with the special guest on the Oct 13 episode of the Simpsons; 3 years running a non-profit/part-time company turned for-profit/full-time)

-GMAT: To be taken sometime before the end of the year (I literally passed out the first time I took it - not bc of the exam, but because the test center was a bit like hell on earth). Practice scores hover around 700 but it all usually depends on my caffeine intake; I'm aiming for a 750+ because it would obv help with internships/job recruitment.

-GPA: 3.58/4.0 (cum laude) in English Literature (hence the mbamath.com course to offset the fact that I haven't touched math since 12th grade).

-International experience: Born+ brought up in 4 countries until the age of 17; fluent in 3 languages

Totally applying this year. Let the fun begin!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
best of luck, sharshar84 :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy / Operations
Schools:Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), <strong>Ivey+$$$</strong>
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Send PM
bpenn wrote:
Embeayy wrote:

They just changed it to read "late September". That concerns me too. Not much lead time for rec's. Other than that I don't have a problem with 2-3 weeks to input my info and essays.

The website now says mid-September...

Am I being obsessive? I think so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
tmino wrote:
I actually heard an interesting fact the other day from the MBA director. LBS receives most applications in R2, which is not surprising, but he said that more applications are received in R3 than R1! But there were at least 2-3 times more offers given out in R1 than R3. So always avoid R3 (and of course R4). As to R1 vs. R2; in R1 your chances tend to be better (last year roughly ~180 offers in R1 vs. roughly ~220 offers in R2, but we know that LBS receives way more applications in R2).

Agree though with trump, apply when you can present the best application possible.

Hi Thomas, I saw this post in another thread. The post is pretty old. Does it still hold? :(
I guess its because one gets more time to prepare for the essays in R2 than in R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
srjaidev,

That info was from 2008 - not sure how valid it is anymore. I think it's still true that your best chances are in R1. But then, if you need more time go for R2, but avoid R3/4.

More on LBS rounds:
https://mbajourney2010.blogspot.com/2010 ... apply.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I find you blog very useful, especially all the stats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hurray!
I just checked and found that LBS is coming as part of the MBA tour to Bangalore, India!
https://www.thembatour.com/events/bangalore.shtml
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rid82 wrote:
Guys,

Do you write LBS or "London Business School" or "London" when you refer to the school in your essays?

I'm writing the "Why London Business School" question but I'm not sure whether they like to be referred as LBS (shorter). In he web they seem to use always "London Business School" (longer)

Thanks

Hi rid82, good question! I have been through the School website quite thoroughly and I haven't found it addressing the school as LBS anywhere. Its almost always London Business School, especially when addressing the faculty or students, and at other times just 'school'. I did a search on the keyword 'LBS' on the site and found that only document names have LBS! :O

So, I would suggest you to keep away from using LBS in the essays.

Perhaps bsd_lover or tmino could answer better.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts