Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The management of a workforce distributed geographically

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, ISB, HKUST, HEC Paris, Warwick
WE 1: 2 yrs Credit Analyst
WE 2: 5 yrs Transition Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
The management of a workforce distributed geographically [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 02:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (01:57) correct 60% (00:55) wrong based on 56 sessions
The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

A.The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

B.The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team members

C.The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

D.The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all team members

E.The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

Is the following explanation correct for the answer given?
While "between" is explicitly used for two people or things and "among" for more than two, "between" can be used when expressing multiple similar one-to-one relationships, as in "the water ran between my toes."
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Usage of Between [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 04:12
whats the source .B looks good to me.
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Usage of Between [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 18:46
Expert's post
I beg to differ from the logic of multiple one-to-one relationships between two individuals in a collective phenomenon as management. It is not that the supervisor’s job extends to just one individual. It pervades vertically up and down and horizontally with peers. So the relationship is never between two people alone but among many, many others. Compare it with family relationships when a person has a relationship of a grandfather to his grandchildren, father to his own offsprings and husband to his wife, brother to his sister and so on. Such phenomena are just not isolated but are carried out individually and severally.

I wouldn’t think use of ‘between’ is proper;
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Usage of Between [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 21:48
this is a very interesting question, kept me wondering for a while.
using like is wrong here so, options A and D are out.
B uses 'also', which is wordy.

This is what i found out, [between] is still the only word available to express the relation of a thing to many surrounding things severally and individually, among expressing a relation to them collectively and vaguely”.
I think using better would be a better choice here since we are talking accountability for 1 team member to another and to every one else, meaning that the team member is accountable towards everyone. If we use among then its becomes a bit vague, we are not sure if some of the team members are accountable to every one else.

But i still can't choose between C and E, 'between all team members', 'between all the team members'.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 170

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Usage of Between [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 10:20
daagh wrote:
I beg to differ from the logic of multiple one-to-one relationships between two individuals in a collective phenomenon as management. It is not that the supervisor’s job extends to just one individual. It pervades vertically up and down and horizontally with peers. So the relationship is never between two people alone but among many, many others. Compare it with family relationships when a person has a relationship of a grandfather to his grandchildren, father to his own offsprings and husband to his wife, brother to his sister and so on. Such phenomena are just not isolated but are carried out individually and severally.

Any experts want to elaborate on this one? I was shocked to see that 'between' was correct, I absolutely agree with Daagh here, but it would be nice to have someone else opinion to clarify this one

Thanks
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Usage of Between [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 08:38
jlgdr wrote:
daagh wrote:

Any experts want to elaborate on this one? I was shocked to see that 'between' was correct, I absolutely agree with Daagh here, but it would be nice to have someone else opinion to clarify this one

Thanks
Cheers
J

Well , here is how I arrived to the solution . I agree with you that the use of between is likely to be incorrect but since it is already in all the solutions let's just bear with it. Then I was confused between C and E and chose C since I think that " between two members" can be correct however " between all team members" is wrong and the use of among is essential here
Re: Usage of Between   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2014, 08:38