GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2018, 02:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:12) correct 56% (01:05) wrong based on 1157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

A. The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

B. The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team members

C. The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

D. The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all team members

E. The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

Is the following explanation correct for the answer given?
While "between" is explicitly used for two people or things and "among" for more than two, "between" can be used when expressing multiple similar one-to-one relationships, as in "the water ran between my toes."

Originally posted by udaymathapati on 01 Jun 2011, 02:45.
Last edited by Bunuel on 15 Oct 2018, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2013, 07:59
Backbencher wrote:
DOUBT

I eliminated options A and D for the incorrect usage of "Like" while giving list of things. Such as should be used instead.
Next, I eliminated option E because "Team cohesion" has a comma after it, making the sentence have two "and". This makes the sentence incorrect. "E" eliminated.

Left with B and C, all that is different in these options is among and between. As usual, I was left with two options. Putting my knowledge of among (which should be used when you compare more than two bodies) and between (which should be used when you compare two bodies), I chose "B"- INCORRECT !!! :(

Can someone please explain WHY OPTIONS B IS INCORRECT and options C is CORRECT ? Thanks

Hi Backbencher,

Here are the two most confusing answer choices:
B) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

If you carefully study these two choices, Choice B carries an extra word “also”, which is not quite required here in the sentence. This makes Choice C more concise.

About the usage of between – Well, commonly we use “between” when we talk about two entities and we use “among” when we talk about more than two entities. However, “between” can also be used when we want to show multiple pair relations.

Consider the example presented by the original post:
• Water ran between my toes.

This sentence does not mean that I have just two toes. It means that every toe has a pair relation with every other toe. This is the meaning that is denoted by the use of “between” in Choice C.

So between the two Choices, Choice C emerges as the winner.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2011, 04:12
whats the source .B looks good to me.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2011, 18:46
I beg to differ from the logic of multiple one-to-one relationships between two individuals in a collective phenomenon as management. It is not that the supervisor’s job extends to just one individual. It pervades vertically up and down and horizontally with peers. So the relationship is never between two people alone but among many, many others. Compare it with family relationships when a person has a relationship of a grandfather to his grandchildren, father to his own offsprings and husband to his wife, brother to his sister and so on. Such phenomena are just not isolated but are carried out individually and severally.

I wouldn’t think use of ‘between’ is proper;

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2013, 00:52
The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

A)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

B)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

D)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all team members

E)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

DOUBT

I eliminated options A and D for the incorrect usage of "Like" while giving list of things. Such as should be used instead.
Next, I eliminated option E because "Team cohesion" has a comma after it, making the sentence have two "and". This makes the sentence incorrect. "E" eliminated.

Left with B and C, all that is different in these options is among and between. As usual, I was left with two options. Putting my knowledge of among (which should be used when you compare more than two bodies) and between (which should be used when you compare two bodies), I chose "B"- INCORRECT !!! :(

Can someone please explain WHY OPTIONS B IS INCORRECT and options C is CORRECT ? Thanks

A Ship in port is safe but that is not what Ships are built for !

Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 19:52
The examples in E do not conver the intended meaning - cohesion and communication is w.r.t team (intent highlights the challenges w.r.t geographically distributed workforce)

E - wrongly differentiates the examples of team cohesion and communication. This aspect is correctly highlighted in C.

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 05:54
egmat wrote:
Backbencher wrote:
DOUBT

Hi Backbencher,

B) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

If you carefully study these two choices, Choice B carries an extra word “also”, which is not quite required here in the sentence. This makes Choice C more concise.

About the usage of between – Well, commonly we use “between” when we talk about two entities and we use “among” when we talk about more than two entities. However, “between” can also be used when we want to show multiple pair relations.

This sentence does not mean that I have just two toes. It means that every toe has a pair relation with every other toe. This is the meaning that is denoted by the use of “between” in Choice C.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi,

I would like to focus on "accountability between all team members" in Option B. This is a clear idiomatic error, and thus, B cannot be the correct choice.
I agree that "between" can be used when comparing multiple pair relations, but in this case, the sentence is not referring to any pair. It is bluntly referring to the whole team.
I doubt whether the source is correct.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 04:58
dipanjan_1988 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Backbencher wrote:
DOUBT

Hi Backbencher,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi,

I would like to focus on "accountability between all team members" in Option B. This is a clear idiomatic error, and thus, B cannot be the correct choice.
I agree that "between" can be used when comparing multiple pair relations, but in this case, the sentence is not referring to any pair. It is bluntly referring to the whole team.
I doubt whether the source is correct.

I also had my doubts, so I looked it up. This is what I have found.

Merriam Webster - Usage Discussion of between

There is a persistent but unfounded notion that between can be used only of two items and that among must be used for more than two. Between has been used of more than two since Old English; it is especially appropriate to denote a one-to-one relationship, regardless of the number of items. It can be used when the number is unspecified<economic cooperation between nations> , when more than two are enumerated <between you and me and the lamppost> <partitioned between Austria, Prussia, and Russia — Nathaniel Benchley>, and even when only one item is mentioned (but repetition is implied) <pausing between every sentence to rap the floor — George Eliot>. Among is more appropriate where the emphasis is on distribution rather than individual relationships <discontent among the peasants>.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 10:44
C)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

E)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

Am I seeing this wrong? the only difference I see between the two options is the "THE"
I don't understand what is the difference between the two options.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 10:52
winionhi wrote:

Am I seeing this wrong? the only difference I see between the two options is the "THE"
I don't understand what is the difference between the two options.

Look at the comma after cohesion. Cohesion and communication refer to team and should not use a comma because they are only two elements. That is what makes answer E incorrect.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 02:00
Such ambiguous questions should be removed from discussion thread which doesn't make any sense. I also see two subject experts having different opinions. This question seems self made without any source just to confuse serious people. Admin,please take note.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 02:00
Such ambiguous questions should be removed from discussion thread which doesn't make any sense. I also see two subject experts having different opinions. This question seems self made without any source just to confuse serious people. Admin,please take note.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 02:00

The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap