Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 103

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 19:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

35% (01:59) correct 65% (01:24) wrong based on 55 sessions
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(A) Alcohol has been known to cause violence and crime

(B) The benefits of marijuana outweigh those of alcohol

(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime

(D) The regulation of marijuana is not enforceable

(E) Alcohol is readily available to anyone who wants to obtain it

OA after discussion..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Last edited by BukrsGmat on 08 Dec 2012, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 21:44
sujit2k7 wrote:
The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes. Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous. Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?

(C) The regulation of marijuana does not deter the sort of activity known to result in violent crime

OA after discussion..

Hi sujit2k7.. Yes OA is very debatable, none seems OK to me... My reasons are...

This is already stated in the premise " But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence "

This cannot be the answer, as we are discussing about the ill effect. the argument says : if alcohol can lead to abuse and violence and still be in the market, then marijuana also can also be. So benefits are out of scope, IMO.

This also we know from the argument, 1st and 2nd line of the argument says this...

The argument talks about whether the Marijuana regulation should be repealed or not, ability to enforce it is a subject of different argument.

The argument already says "alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands"

If I were forced to pick one then I would go with A,which seems closest to the argument.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 35

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 22:18
IMO B has to be the answer.
Cause author talks about violence caused by both Alcohol and Marijuana..only if we weigh benefits of both these things, we can decide whether to regulate or not. As both causes violence , marijuana has more benefits (B) and alcohol is not banned, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed(conclusion).

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Manager
Manager

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 20:18
Confused between C and A. Need help

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 63

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 22:35

The argument says it can lead to this statement fills a gap.The problem here is the inconsistency treatment, you have a set of rules for cannabis and no rules for the other side. The question is why this law doesn't make sense and should be repealed? only when we justify something about alcohol, it fills a gap.

There are publications present which say that marijuana causes crime. This statement is also challenging a fact highlighted in red. it does provide support for marijuana but doesn't answer the challenge question, these question types are tricky "Most support" there can be a weak strengthener and a stronger one...

PS: There is a thread already present on this question
the-purpose-of-regulation-of-cannabis-143599.html
Manager
Manager

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2012, 23:37
nelz007 wrote:

The argument says it can lead to this statement fills a gap.The problem here is the inconsistency treatment, you have a set of rules for cannabis and no rules for the other side. The question is why this law doesn't make sense and should be repealed? only when we justify something about alcohol, it fills a gap.

There are publications present which say that marijuana causes crime. This statement is also challenging a fact highlighted in red. it does provide support for marijuana but doesn't answer the challenge question, these question types are tricky "Most support" there can be a weak strengthener and a stronger one...

PS: There is a thread already present on this question
the-purpose-of-regulation-of-cannabis-143599.html

Thnkx @nelz007 for your reply.... Sry I do not fully agree with you..
C) As per the publications they tried to relate marijuana with crime. But no where it is written that marijuana causes crime..
Now as per my understanding A) tells Alcohol causes crime but it does not mean marijuana does not cause the crime(as previous publications always tried to prove)..so to attack the conclusion that regulation need to be repealed, I have to give a reason the regulation was not fruitful..... Please correct my understanding

Manager
Manager

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 00:43
sujit2k7 wrote:

Thnkx @nelz007 for your reply.... Sry I do not fully agree with you..
C) As per the publications they tried to relate marijuana with crime. But no where it is written that marijuana causes crime..
Now as per my understanding A) tells Alcohol causes crime but it does not mean marijuana does not cause the crime(as previous publications always tried to prove)..so to attack the conclusion that regulation need to be repealed, I have to give a reason the regulation was not fruitful..... Please correct my understanding

The purpose of regulation of Cannabis (marijuana) was to restrict the growth in the number of people consuming a "habit-forming drug" and to lower the incidence of violent crimes.Several large newspaper publications and organizations ran campaigns in the 1930s that demonized marijuana and emphasized a connection between marijuana and crime]. But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands; yet everyone today would agree that prohibiting alcohol, a product so ingrained in people's social life today, would be preposterous.[b] Hence, regulation of marijuana makes no sense and should be repealed.

it is mentioned over there (red) that it was done to reduce crime. sry, highlighted the wrong part earlier.

The situation here is there is a regulation so some sort of enforcement on cannabis and this regulation doesn't make sense, the main premise for this (blue). Now alcohol can lead to crime no proof yet, we need something that would justify that alcohol does lead to crime. A does exactly that and supports the argument saying there is an inconsistent treatment.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [1] , given: 5

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 09:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nelz007 - great to see a GMATPill student explain questions to others - that's a sign of true understanding. Keep it up! :-D

Someone suggested that (A) merely repeats what is said in the passage. Well, there is a slight (and important) difference.

Here's the difference:

The passage merely SUGGESTS that alcohol CAN lead to abuse:

"But even alcohol can lead to abuse and violence if in the wrong hands"

Answer choice (A) actually tells you to consider the possibility that that statement is ACTUALLY true.

So the difference is the passage only suggested that it COULD be true. Whereas (A) suggested that it ACTUALLY IS true.

Remember the question: "Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument above?"

Clearly, we don't know that (A) is true based on the passage. But we are asked to consider - WHAT IF (A) were ACTUALLY true.

Hope that helps.

Here's the original question along with a video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1314

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 20:16
Thanks Zeke! with the video explanation open to public it should be crystal clear if any doubts still remain.

gmatpill wrote:
Here's the original question along with a video explanation: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/1314
Re: The purpose of regulation of Cannabis   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2012, 20:16