Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 919 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (03:10) correct 61% (01:50) wrong based on 691 sessions
The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost.
(A) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost
(B) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines and will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than the sap extracted from other trees
(C) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than other trees
(D) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than the sap extracted from other trees can, and at a lower cost
(E) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and to decrease the cost

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original sentence is long and confusing. In order to simplify the sentence, let's figure out what it is trying to say: The main verb of the sentence is will be able. The subject appears to be The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap, but it is not logical that The recent discovery of sap... will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture because discoveries don't provide mixtures. What provides the mixture? The logical subject of the sentence is sap; we should look for the answer that places sap at the beginning of the sentence.

The comparison more...than does not compare like—or parallel—items; will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees illogically compares the ability to provide chemists with a more potent mixture and other trees. Mixtures cannot be more potent than trees; it is the abilities of the mixtures and the abilities of the saps from other trees that are being compared.

Choice D is correct.
This choice changes the subject to A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is the logical subject of the verb will be able to provide. This option also compares the ability of the recently discovered sap to provide chemists with a more potent mixture with the ability of the sap extracted from other trees by using the word can.

Choices B and C retain the incorrect subject, The recent discovery of a sap, which illogically seems to be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture. These options also retain comparison errors. In B, the new trees are able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture....than other saps, and we want to compare the abilities of the saps. C makes the comparison to other trees. Both B and C are incorrect.

Choice E fixes the subject error but not the comparison error; the more potent mixture than other trees is illogical .

Choice D is correct.

Some comments about the solution by the experts in Knewton:
http://answers.knewton.com/entries/2003 ... -a-red-oak
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 18:47
I think it is E.

A, B, and C have the discovery as subject. This means that the discovery itself provides mixture. This is wrong because the Oak tree sap should be subject, not a modifier.

D is wrong because the placement of "can" looks awkward. Moreover "and at lower cost" is just a fragment.

E is correct because subject is oak tree sap. Moreover the placement of and is parallel...i.e, "Will be able to provide.........and to decrease the cost"

"Not everyone who works hard succeeds. But all those who succeeded have worked hard!" ~~ Coach Kamogawa

Best,
ItsNotOver

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 19:04
IMO : D
A, B, and C are out because of parallelism. recent discovery is compared with trees.
left with D and E and I choose D.

Since "anticipated to advance experimentation" is used in sentence, I believe use "can" in the sentence is okay.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 19:15
IMO B. "The recent discovery" is anticipated to advance the experimentation not "The Red Oak Tree Sap"
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 22:52
IMO, D.

"at a lower cost" is modifying "to work from". I think that's not the original idea.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 23:14
I go with D as well.. Concise and correct meaning.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 03:30
mba4viplav wrote:
IMO B. "The recent discovery" is anticipated to advance the experimentation not "The Red Oak Tree Sap"

I second you.
B must be the correct answer. What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 03:34
IMO:D. A recently.....will be.....,and at a lower cost I think is grammatically correct.The subject of the sentence is red oak tree sap,the discovery of which will provide the provide chemists with a more potent mixture.I think the OA will read as D!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 12:04
D due to proper comparison and parallelism.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 12:25
The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost.
(A) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost

Doesn't compare sap of one tree with the other.

(B) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines and will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than the sap extracted from other trees

Best choice.

(C) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than other trees

Incorrectly compares mixture with the trees.

(D) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than the sap extracted from other trees can, and at a lower cost

A comma before a conjunction indicates that there has be a clause following conjunction, and a clause should have a subject and verb. In this case, it's just a prepositional phrase with an object, so this choice can never be true.

(E) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and to decrease the cost

Incorrectly compares mixture with trees, and "to decrease the cost" has problem of ||ism.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 919 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2011, 16:59
I am yet to see an official GMAT question that doesn't explicitly mention a subject and verb after ", and" and is still correct.

", and at a lower cost" doesn't provide either a subject or a verb and is a good example of "concision over clarity".

", and it will do so at a lower cost" makes more sense.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Red oak tree sap for cancer medication [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 09:29
This is a good question. thanks for posting.

"Not everyone who works hard succeeds. But all those who succeeded have worked hard!" ~~ Coach Kamogawa

Best,
ItsNotOver

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 05:56
(A) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost - discovery is compared with trees. Wrong comparison
(B) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines and will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than the sap extracted from other trees - comparison done here between cost whereas it should be between mixture obtained from red oak tree and others.
(C) The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from at a lower cost than other trees - comparison done here between cost whereas it should be between mixture obtained from red oak tree and others.
(D) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than the sap extracted from other trees can, and at a lower cost - correct comparison and meaning
(E) A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is anticipated to advance experimentation with natural substances in order to create cancer medicines, will be able to provide a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and to decrease the cost - wrong modifier. it is discovery not sap which is anticipated to advance experimentation.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 01:02
i am totally lost in it. surely i'll be broken down if i see this kinda SC on G-day

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 07:58
Could we get a back-to-back analysis on B vs. D from experts here?

IMO all the rest of answer choices are nowhere near these two
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 01:22
D is my pick.

It cannot be the discovery of the sap that will provide the chemists, but its the recently discovered sap itself that will provide these chemists
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 08:19
B is missing "and" before "at a lower cost".

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 05:26
@ Experts, please give your invaluable explanation on the above question ... Shraddha need your expertise here.

Please clarify the meaning difference between option B and D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-06-2014
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 18

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 09:37
fluke wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
The original sentence is long and confusing. In order to simplify the sentence, let's figure out what it is trying to say: The main verb of the sentence is will be able. The subject appears to be The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap, but it is not logical that The recent discovery of sap... will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture because discoveries don't provide mixtures. What provides the mixture? The logical subject of the sentence is sap; we should look for the answer that places sap at the beginning of the sentence.

The comparison more...than does not compare like—or parallel—items; will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees illogically compares the ability to provide chemists with a more potent mixture and other trees. Mixtures cannot be more potent than trees; it is the abilities of the mixtures and the abilities of the saps from other trees that are being compared.

Choice D is correct.
This choice changes the subject to A recently discovered red oak tree sap, which is the logical subject of the verb will be able to provide. This option also compares the ability of the recently discovered sap to provide chemists with a more potent mixture with the ability of the sap extracted from other trees by using the word can.

Choices B and C retain the incorrect subject, The recent discovery of a sap, which illogically seems to be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture. These options also retain comparison errors. In B, the new trees are able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture....than other saps, and we want to compare the abilities of the saps. C makes the comparison to other trees. Both B and C are incorrect.

Choice E fixes the subject error but not the comparison error; the more potent mixture than other trees is illogical .

Choice D is correct.

Some comments about the solution by the experts in Knewton:
http://answers.knewton.com/entries/2003 ... -a-red-oak

If we simplify the original sentence then it becomes
The recent discovery of ... will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and at a lower cost.

Now there are 2 problems in this sentence. Remember of is a middle-man and it doesn't change the subject of the sentence.
1. The recent discovery will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from.
Discovery itself cannot provide chemists with a mixture, so the subject must be The Red Oak Tree Sap.

2. The recent discovery will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than other trees
Here recent discovery is compared with other trees, which is illogical.

So the correct answer must fix both these problems.

Option B doesn't fix any of the issues as the subject is still "The recent discovery"
Option C doesn't fix any of the issues as the subject is still "The recent discovery"

Option D fixes both the problems by making red oak tree sap the subject of the sentence and correcting the comparison.
A recently discovered red oak tree sap, <modifier>, will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture to work from than the sap extracted from other trees can, and at a lower cost
- Correctly states that the Red oak tree sap will be able to provide chemists with a more potent mixture
- Also correctly compares Sap with Sap. Red oak tree sap provides a more potent mixture than the sap extracted from other trees can.

Option E corrects the 1st issue but leaves the comparison issue as it is. It compares Sap with other Trees
A recently discovered red oak tree sap, <modifier>, will be able to provide a more potent mixture to work from than other trees and to decrease the cost

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 316 [1] , given: 193

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 23:12
This post received
KUDOS
According to Ron while making comparison we should take care of verb parallelism governed by following rules :

1 * if you have than/as + subject + FORM OF "TO BE" as the second half of a comparison, then you must have another form of "to be" in the first half of the comparison.

2 * if you have than/as + subject + HELPING VERB as the second half of a comparison, then you must have the SAME helping verb (perhaps in a different tense) in the first half of the comparison.

3 * if you have than/as + subject + FORM OF "TO DO" as the second half of a comparison, then you must have an ACTION VERB (or another form of "to do") in the first half of the comparison.

But in option D.

will be able (to be) ... than ... can (model auxiliary verb)

These verbs are not parallel thus elliptical construction is not valid in D.

Be able to is not a modal auxiliary verb. in place of be able to we often use "can" and "could", which are modal auxiliary verbs.

Although B is the best choice so far, but I am concerned about parallelism as mentioned above.

Kindly share your understanding on this.

Thanks.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: The recent discovery of a red oak tree sap that is   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2014, 23:12