Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16656 [103]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [21]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [1]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Re: The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45. What is [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel

my question is hovv do you knovv vvhere to stop there could have been an 8 too
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
venmic wrote:
Bunuel

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement(s) is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

Now, when we consider the two statements together we have that n can be 2 or 6, so we don't have single numerical value of n, which means that the answer is E. We don't need to find whether n can be some other number, since two values are enough to tell that the statements taken together are not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [5]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45. What is the value of n?
(1) n is even
(2) n < 9

First the quick maths.... consecutive numbers added together to make 45..
N + N+1 + N+2 all the way to N +i

The quickest way for me was to disprove both.

With two numbers N + N + 1 = 45 so 2n + 1 = 45, 2n = 44 n = 22 (2 numbers)
With six numbers 6N + 15 = 45, 6N=30 N=5 (6 numbers)

Even if we take both 1 and 2, n could be 2 or 6. Therefore E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
venmic wrote:
Bunuel

When a DS question asks about the value of some variable, then the statement(s) is sufficient ONLY if you can get the single numerical value of this variable.

Now, when we consider the two statements together we have that n can be 2 or 6, so we don't have single numerical value of n, which means that the answer is E. We don't need to find whether n can be some other number, since two values are enough to tell that the statements taken together are not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hey Bunuel,

How about this approach-

The sum of n consecutive numbers is n (n+1)/2=45
Therefore- n(n+1)=90
...> n^2+n-90=0
....> n-9=0 or n=-10

so both 1 and 2 are sufficient to answer. So the answer must be D right??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
rajathpanta wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
venmic wrote:
Bunuel

Hope it's clear.

Hey Bunuel,

How about this approach-

The sum of n consecutive numbers is n (n+1)/2=45
Therefore- n(n+1)=90
...> n^2+n-90=0
....> n-9=0 or n=-10

so both 1 and 2 are sufficient to answer. So the answer must be D right??

The sum of n consecutive numbers is n (n+1)/2=45 NO
The sum of the first n consecutive positive integers 1, 2, 3,..., n is n(n + 1)/2.
Nowhere is stated that we have some number of the first positive integers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi tk1tez7777

The sum of n consecutive integers is 45.

one simple short cut:- as the numbers are consecutive look for the numbers around 45/n

statement 1:- for n = 2 (22 and 23) we will get the sum as 45
for n = 6 (5,6,7,8,9,10) we will get sum as 45

So we cannot decide the value of n. Statement 1 alone is not sufficient.

statement 2:- n>9.

For both n = 2 and n = 6 the sum of the numbers is 45.

So statement 2 alone is not sufficient.

Combining both statements n<9 and n is even.

Again for both n = 2 and n=3 the sum is 45 so combined they are not sufficient.

SO answer is E
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3093 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45 [#permalink]
Kudos
tk1tez7777 wrote:

(1) n is even

(2) n < 9

Let the first term be a, which is a positive integer. Thus, given that\(\frac{n}{2}[2a+(n-1)]\) = 45

From F.S 1, we know that n=even, thus 2a+(n-1) = even+odd=odd.

Thus,\(\frac{n}{2}*odd\) =\(\frac{10}{2}*9\). It could also be =\(\frac{6}{2}*15\)
Insufficient.

From F.S 2, we know that n<9. Thus, \(\frac{90}{n}\) must be an integer.We have n=1 or 2 or 3 or 5 or 6.Insufficient.
Taking both together , we have n = 2 or 6. Insufficient.
E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [0]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Hello Friends, Bunuel, @VertiasPrepKarishma, Vyshak, Skywalker18
I understand the solution given by students above. However, what i don't understand is how to arrive at that solution. What i mean to ask is that what made you think about 6? Did you guys do trial and error or something else?
Can someone please elaborate on that...

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [3]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
manishtank1988 wrote:
Hello Friends, Bunuel, @VertiasPrepKarishma, Vyshak, Skywalker18
I understand the solution given by students above. However, what i don't understand is how to arrive at that solution. What i mean to ask is that what made you think about 6? Did you guys do trial and error or something else?
Can someone please elaborate on that...

Thanks

First we have to know that the max. possible number of positive consecutive integers can be 9.
According to Statement 1, n is even. When the number of consecutive integers is even, the mean will be 'x.5'.
45/2 = 22.5 --> Possible
45/6 = 7.5 --> Possible
So only 2 and 6 are possible.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
I want to add my bit here . Immaterial of what the question asks for i found an approach that makes understanding this question easier .

For Any number to be a product of consecutive terms it has to be an arithmetic progression and hence the formula of sum Sn=n/2(2a+(n-1)*1) is applicable

If the number is 45 then it follows that 90=n(2a+ (n-1))

The factors of 90 in its basic form can be written as 90=3^2*5*2

Now to find the series that is a sum of consecutive terms we just need to rearrange the possibilities :

1. 90/2=45=[(3^2*5)/2]*2=22.5*2 where 22.5 is the avg and 2 the number of terms . The series has 2 integers with an average of 22.5 and this is possible only when the series is 22+23.

2. 45=(15/2)*6 =7.5*6 i.e 6 terms with an average of 7.5. write 7,8 first which give an average of 7.5 and then add 2 terms on each side to generate the series 5,6,7,8,9,10

3. 90/2=45=[5/2]*18 =2.5*18 where 2.5 is the average and 18 are the number of terms. Thus the series possible is -6 ,-5,-4,-3…., 10, 11. (a simple tip here is to write the 2 consecutive integers that give an average of 2.5 i.e 2,3 and then write the 16 numbers symmetrically on either sides of 2 and 3)

4. 90/2=45=[3^2/2]*10=4.5*10 ie 10 terms with average of terms as 4.5. Hence the series 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

5. 5. 45=[9*2/2]*5=9*5 i.e average 5 with 9 terms . Hence the series is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. (write the center term 5 which is the average and then add four terms to the left and right side to get the balance 8 terms)

6. 45=[30/2]*3 =15*3 average 15 with 3 terms . I.e 14,15,16

By checking the combination of its prime factors we can thus generate the series that can represent a number as a sum of its consecutive terms.
Now considering each of the above conditions or combining both the conditions ( n is even and n<9) we cannot get a unique solution to the problem. The correct answer has to be E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [1]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Bookmarks
enigma123 wrote:

(1) n is even
(2) n < 9

Official Solution

Credit: Veritas Prep

Solution: First I will give the solution of this question and then discuss the logic used to solve it.

In how many ways can you write n consecutive integers such that their sum is 45? Let’s see whether we can get such numbers for some values of n.

n = 1 -> Numbers: 45
n = 2 -> Numbers: 22 + 23 = 45
n = 3 -> Numbers: 14 + 15 + 16 = 45
n = 4 -> No such numbers
n = 5 -> Numbers: 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 11 = 45
n = 6 -> Numbers: 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 + 10 = 45

Let’s stop right here.

Statement I: n must be even.

n could be 2 or 6. Statement I alone is not sufficient.

Statement II: n < 9
n can take many values less than 9 hence statement 2 alone is not sufficient.

Both statements together: Since n can take values 2 or 6 which are even and less than 9, both statements together are not sufficient.

Logic

Now, the interesting thing is how do we get these numbers for different values of n. How do we know the values that n can take? It’s pretty easy really. Follow my thought here.

Of course, n can be 1. In that case we have only one number i.e. 45.

n can be 2. Why? When we divide 45 by 2, we get 22.5. Since 2*22.5 is 45, we have to find 2 consecutive integers such that their arithmetic mean is 22.5. The integers are obviously 22 and 23.

n can be 3. When we divide 45 by 3, we get 15. So we need 3 consecutive integers such that their mean is 15. They are 14, 15, 16.

When we divide 45 by 4, we get 11.25. Do we have 4 consecutive integers such that their mean is 11.25? No, because mean of even number of consecutive integers is always of the form x.5.

n can be 5. When we divide 45 by 5, we get 9 so we need 5 consecutive integers such that their mean is 9. They must be 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

n can be 6. When we divide 45 by 6, we get 7.5. We need 6 consecutive integers such that their mean is 7.5. The integers are 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Obviously, we just need to focus on getting 2 even values of n which are less than 9. So we check for 2, 4 and 6 and we immediately know that the answer is (E). We don’t have to do this process for all numbers less than 9 and we don’t have to do it for odd values of n.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The sum of n consecutive positive integers is 45. What is [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - two quick questions

Q1) From the question stem (no the statements) - would you think n = 1 is a possible value for n ? I thought n =1 was possible from the question stem

----------------------------------------

Q2) was wondering, how would you tackle this one.

I could test cases (n=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) but that will take me > 3 mins in addition to mistakes

Seems very manual laborious, this question.

Thank you !!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM