Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [20]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Re: Theorist: While most people think that the best [#permalink]
Kudos please, if it helped

A A middle manager who impresses his superiors with an aggressive, detailed plan by which to expand the company’s market share. This is clear and detailed plan. As per author, this shouldnt aspire potential supporter
B An aspiring politician who capitalizes on a nation’s discontent with a previous regime by campaigning on a platform of “hope and renewal.” This is vague. It only gives the end result and has no plan of action or course correction. This will aspire supporters. This is right choice
C A football coach who begins an effort to be appointed general manager by working to oust any potential rivals in the organization. Detailed plan to oust rivals. As per author, this shouldnt aspire potential supporter
D A mayor who celebrates reelection to his final term by promising his supporters that he will make the city “green, clean, and any family’s dream.” This is clear and detailed plan. As per author, this shouldnt aspire potential supporter
E A police lieutenant who moves to be promoted to police chief by exposing the corruption rampant under the administration of the current chief. Clear planning required to expose corruption. As per author, this shouldnt aspire potential supporter
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Theorist: While most people think that the best [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Keats wrote:
Theorist: While most people think that the best way to attain a position of great power and influence is to articulate a compelling position with clarity and force, in most cultures such an approach is inherently self-limiting, as enough potential supporters are either too tentative or too particular to support a clear, emphatic agenda. Instead, the most reliable method by which to attain positions of great power and influence is to offer vague and reassuring platitudes onto which one’s potential supporters can project their own desires and interpretations.

If the theorist’s statements above are true, which of the following people is most likely to attain a position of great power and influence?

A A middle manager who impresses his superiors with an aggressive, detailed plan by which to expand the company’s market share.
B An aspiring politician who capitalizes on a nation’s discontent with a previous regime by campaigning on a platform of “hope and renewal.”
C A football coach who begins an effort to be appointed general manager by working to oust any potential rivals in the organization.
D A mayor who celebrates reelection to his final term by promising his supporters that he will make the city “green, clean, and any family’s dream.”
E A police lieutenant who moves to be promoted to police chief by exposing the corruption rampant under the administration of the current chief.

Dear Keats,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Your screen name evokes a most celebrated eponym.

I think this question is reasonably clear, but I don't think it's very GMAT-like. I haven't seen any official question in this sort of mold.

The argument recommends against specific positions, and advocates for attaining power & influence with vague positive banalities.

(A) A middle manager who impresses his superiors with an aggressive, detailed plan by which to expand the company’s market share.
This guy has a detailed plan, the exact opposite of what the argument suggests. This is incorrect.

(B) An aspiring politician who capitalizes on a nation’s discontent with a previous regime by campaigning on a platform of “hope and renewal.”
This guy wants power, and delivers a positive yet vague plan. This is promising choice.

(C) A football coach who begins an effort to be appointed general manager by working to oust any potential rivals in the organization.
This is a very different route to power, forcing out rivals. This was not discussed. This is incorrect.

(D) A mayor who celebrates reelection to his final term by promising his supporters that he will make the city “green, clean, and any family’s dream.”
This person already has the power and is not looking for power. This doesn't fit. This is incorrect.

(E) A police lieutenant who moves to be promoted to police chief by exposing the corruption rampant under the administration of the current chief.
Like (C), another route to power, making someone else look bad so you look good. This is not discussed. This is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (B). It's clear. I just have not seen any official question like this, and it doesn't feel quite as tight or as logically crisp as a GMAT question.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

With due respect I would like to disagree with you on the reasoning presented for Option D.
Look at this line "best way to attain a position of great power and influence". Does it says anything about the person looking to attain the position for the first time.
It really doesn't matters even if he is reelected. The point is that "to attain positions of great power and influence is to offer vague and reassuring platitudes onto which one’s potential supporters can project their own desires and interpretations".

This is why I chose D over B. I encountered this question in Veritas Prep Mock . I must say I never expected this question to be written so vaguely.How can one measure his/her performance if questions like these come up in Mocks.

Regards
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
mikemcgarry A gentle reminder on this.Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
This is one of the most weird CR passage I have encountered so far. Completely clueless.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
warrior1991 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Keats wrote:
Theorist: While most people think that the best way to attain a position of great power and influence is to articulate a compelling position with clarity and force, in most cultures such an approach is inherently self-limiting, as enough potential supporters are either too tentative or too particular to support a clear, emphatic agenda. Instead, the most reliable method by which to attain positions of great power and influence is to offer vague and reassuring platitudes onto which one’s potential supporters can project their own desires and interpretations.

If the theorist’s statements above are true, which of the following people is most likely to attain a position of great power and influence?

A A middle manager who impresses his superiors with an aggressive, detailed plan by which to expand the company’s market share.
B An aspiring politician who capitalizes on a nation’s discontent with a previous regime by campaigning on a platform of “hope and renewal.”
C A football coach who begins an effort to be appointed general manager by working to oust any potential rivals in the organization.
D A mayor who celebrates reelection to his final term by promising his supporters that he will make the city “green, clean, and any family’s dream.”
E A police lieutenant who moves to be promoted to police chief by exposing the corruption rampant under the administration of the current chief.

Dear Keats,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Your screen name evokes a most celebrated eponym.

I think this question is reasonably clear, but I don't think it's very GMAT-like. I haven't seen any official question in this sort of mold.

The argument recommends against specific positions, and advocates for attaining power & influence with vague positive banalities.

(A) A middle manager who impresses his superiors with an aggressive, detailed plan by which to expand the company’s market share.
This guy has a detailed plan, the exact opposite of what the argument suggests. This is incorrect.

(B) An aspiring politician who capitalizes on a nation’s discontent with a previous regime by campaigning on a platform of “hope and renewal.”
This guy wants power, and delivers a positive yet vague plan. This is promising choice.

(C) A football coach who begins an effort to be appointed general manager by working to oust any potential rivals in the organization.
This is a very different route to power, forcing out rivals. This was not discussed. This is incorrect.

(D) A mayor who celebrates reelection to his final term by promising his supporters that he will make the city “green, clean, and any family’s dream.”
This person already has the power and is not looking for power. This doesn't fit. This is incorrect.

(E) A police lieutenant who moves to be promoted to police chief by exposing the corruption rampant under the administration of the current chief.
Like (C), another route to power, making someone else look bad so you look good. This is not discussed. This is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (B). It's clear. I just have not seen any official question like this, and it doesn't feel quite as tight or as logically crisp as a GMAT question.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

With due respect I would like to disagree with you on the reasoning presented for Option D.
Look at this line "best way to attain a position of great power and influence". Does it says anything about the person looking to attain the position for the first time.
It really doesn't matters even if he is reelected. The point is that "to attain positions of great power and influence is to offer vague and reassuring platitudes onto which one’s potential supporters can project their own desires and interpretations".

This is why I chose D over B. I encountered this question in Veritas Prep Mock . I must say I never expected this question to be written so vaguely.How can one measure his/her performance if questions like these come up in Mocks.

Regards

Your doubt has the answer you are looking for.
We are talking in clear way about attaining power and the power you are discussing about is not clear, varies person to person.

The Stimulus discussed about a way to gain power.
Period.

Hope this helps!
Please comment if you still have doubts on this.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts