Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 04:14
I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we approached it, what notes did we take, how long did we spend, etc? I hope this way it will benefit everyone. I will post OA after a few entries.
There is no consensus among researchers regarding what qualifies a substance as a pheromone. While most agree on a basic definition of pheromones as chemicals released by one individual of a species which, when detected by another individual of the same species, elicit a specific behavioral or physiological response, some researchers also specify
that the response to pheromones must be unconscious. In addition, the distinction between pheromones and odorants—chemicals that are consciously detected as odors---can be blurry, and some researchers classify pheromones as a type of odorant. Evidence that pheromone responses may not involve conscious odor perception comes from the finding that in
many species, pheromones are processed by the vomeronasal (or accessory olfactory) system, which uses a special structure in the nose, the vomeronasal organ (VNO), to receive chemical signals. The neural connections between the VNO and the brain are separate from those of the main olfactory system, whose processing of odorants triggers sensations of smell. But while the VNO does process many animal pheromone signals, not all animal pheromones work through the VNO. Conversely, not all chemical signals transmitted via the
VNO quality as pheromones. For example, garter snakes detect a chemical signal from earthworms—one of their favorite foods—via the VNO, and they use this signal to track
their prey.
7. It can be inferred from the passage thatin classifying pheromones as a type of odorant, the researchers referred to posit that
A. pheromones are perceived consciously
B. most pheromones are processed by the VNO
C. most chemical signals processed by the VNO are pheromones
D. Pheromone perception does not occur exclusively between members of the same species.
E. pheromones do not always elicit a specific behavioral or physiological response
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

8. According to the passage, the fact that pheromones are processed by the VNO in many animal species has been taken as evidence of which of the following?
A. The accessory and main olfac-Tory systems are not separate
B. Odorants and pheromones are not distinct types of chemicals.
C. Odorants and pheromones both elicit a specific behavioral response.
D. Pheromones do not trigger conscious sensations of smell.
E. Pheromones aid animals in tracking prey.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

9.The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. compare and contrast the ways in which the vomeronasal organ and the main olfactory systern process chemicals.
B. summarize the debate over the role the vomeronasal organ plays in odor perception
C. present some of the issues involved in the debate over what constitutes a pheromone
D. propose a new definition of pheromones based on recent research
E. argue that pheromones should be classified as a type of odorant
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 23:45
B
D
C
easy
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V0
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 04:18
mine are
7.D
8.B
9.C
I will explain it my answers are correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2010, 08:20
my answer is D D C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 20

Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 10:30
My answers are B , D and C.
I checked on few other websites and the OA mentioned is A, D and C. See the one below:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/pheromone-t41132.html#171550

I am not sure how the first one is A. Can anyone explain?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 16:08
The passages states that. originally phermones were defined as unconscious reactions.. but as research is blurry they want to try and present pheromones to be an odor that is percieved consciously
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 17:37
B,D,C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC: GMAT Set 26 - 7-9 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 11:27
The official answer is ADE.
Why 1-A is correct? The question refers to that part
In addition, the distinction between pheromones and odorants— chemicals that are consciously detected
as odors---can be blurry, and some researchers classify pheromones as a type of odorant

So according to these researchers, pheromenes are perceived consiously.

Why 3-E is correct (very tricky, I first got it wrong):
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. compare and contrast the ways in which the vomeronasal organ and the main olfactory systern
process chemicals. << too specific for the main purpose
B. summarize the debate over the role the vomeronasal organ plays in odor perception << too narrow for the main purpose AND the main topic is pheromones, not VNO
C. present some of the issues involved in the debate over what constitutes a pheromone << nice shell game, GMAT! Actually, it is stated in the beginning of the text that pheromens are a type of chemicals. That is it. The rest of the passage is how pheremones are processed and reacted by bodies.
D. propose a new definition of pheromones based on recent research << no new definitions are discussed
E. argue that pheromones should be classified as a type of odorant << not the best answer, but the only one left and it is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 23:20
b,d,e.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 22:12
B,D,C

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 20:47
My take D, E, C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 31

Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 16:34
i got
A
D
C

seems the case of controversial OAs

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 09:29
Question 7

A
B - Most Wrong
C - Most Chemical Signals Wrong
D - contradicts passage
E - do not always - wrong

At this point I checked question again which indirectly says we have to support researchers who want to classify P's as odorant - Hence A
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 187 [3] , given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: I quite liked this tough RC. Can we try to post how we [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
7. It can be inferred from the passage thatin classifying pheromones as a type of
odorant, the researchers referred to posit that

VNO is evidence used to counter that pheromones are perceived consciously. Hence, the researchers who believe that pheromones are odorant will not posit pheromones as processed through the VNO. Hence, B and C are out.

Answer: A (odorant are perceived consciously. Hence, pheromones must posses that characteristic as well)

The passage mentions about pheromones between the same specie but mentions nothing about members of diff specie. Since it wasn't mention then we cannot conclude that the researchers would think this. maybe but we have no proof. Don't go beyond the passage. Hence, D is out.

Another trick in RC is that something mentioned in the passage for example the statement in E will be linked to a different portion in the passage. The author mentioned that most believe that pheromones should elicit response. Then he mentions some posit that pheromones are odorant and another some posit that response should be unconscious. But stay true to what was linked to the researchers who believe pheromones are odorant. That's all we know they think is true. The other beliefs are attributed to a different set of people. This is a trap. Hence E is out.

A. pheromones are perceived consciously
B. most pheromones are processed by the VNO
C. most chemical signals processed by the VNO are pheromones
D. Pheromone perception does not occur exclusively between members of the same species.
E. pheromones do not always elicit a specific behavioral or physiological response

8. According to the passage, the fact that pheromones are processed by the VNO
in many animal species has been taken as evidence of which of the following?

this is a type of question wherein we don't need to attack each choice. All you have to do is know what you learned from the passage before you go dive into the choices. We know that the VNO is an evidence against the claim that pheromones are odorant by showing that this system is separate from the system used for the sensation of smell. With this in mind, then go to look for that in the choices.

A is wrong. This is about proving or disproving something about pheromones.
B is wrong. VNO proves that they are distinct from each other.
C is wrong. VNO evidence is not about response or eliciting behavior, it's about the sensation of smell using a different organ.
D is the answer. It is obvious. bingo!
E is a trap. The VNO used to track prey refers to a non-pheromone. Read last sentence.

A. The accessory and main olfac-Tory systems are not separate
B. Odorants and pheromones are not distinct types of chemicals.
C. Odorants and pheromones both elicit a specific behavioral response.
D. Pheromones do not trigger conscious sensations of smell.
E. Pheromones aid animals in tracking prey.

9.The primary purpose of the passage is to

the master topic is Pheromone. Different beliefs of groups of people and evidences that show certain beliefs are not probably true and some arguments... Anything not about pheromones is obviously wrong. Hence, A and B are out.

D is out. The author was not able to pinpoint one sure definition.
E is out. The author seems to not lean to this theory.

Answer: c

A. compare and contrast the ways in which the vomeronasal organ and the main olfactory systern
process chemicals.
B. summarize the debate over the role the vomeronasal organ plays in odor perception
C. present some of the issues involved in the debate over what constitutes a pheromone
D. propose a new definition of pheromones based on recent research
E. argue that pheromones should be classified as a type of odorant[/quote]

Impossible is nothing to God.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 16:15
For question 7, pheromones are perceived conciously. its true because the last example suggests snakes can use pheromones to detect prey.
But that would then contradict its thesis that "pheromones are detected by another individual of the same species". I seriously think B is still the best answer. GMAC is being asshole again.

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 23

Re: There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 21:52
hard and typical of gmat
I get a,d,c.

we need many passages of this kind to practice. where to find? in fact , no prep companies can offer this kind of passage for practice

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 21:59
vietmoi999 wrote:
hard and typical of gmat
I get a,d,c.

we need many passages of this kind to practice. where to find? in fact , no prep companies can offer this kind of passage for practice

There aren't many GMAT prep books, but I think you could seriously consider GRE prep books for comprehension. Although there are different areas of focus, but the techniques and practices are the same. And by doing so, you can gain a lot more confidence, try reading articles too, cause 80% of the passages are modifications of journals, magazines or so.

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Re: There is no consensus among researchers regarding what quali   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2014, 21:59