Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Work/Rate Problemsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23870 [46]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619695 [13]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Three machines, K, M, and P, working simultaneously and [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Three machines, K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete a certain task in 24 minutes. How long does it take Machine K, working alone at its constant rate, to complete the task?

Say k, m, and p are the numbers of minutes machines K, M, and P take, respectively, to complete the task. Then we have that \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{24}\).

(1) Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes --> \(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{36}\), thus \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{36}=\frac{1}{24}\) --> we can find the value of \(k\). Sufficient.

(2) Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes --> \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{48}\). The value of k cannot be determined from the data we have. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

I approached this pbm a little differently. Pls. Explain where I am going wrong...is it OK to reason this way?

Let Rk, Rm and Rp be the rates for the machines K,M and P respectively.
Then 1/Rk +1/Rm+1/Rp = 24

St 1 gives ---> 1/Rm + 1/Rp = 36

So, we get 1/Rk + 36 = 24.

Solving, 1/Rk = 24-36=-12

Why am I getting a negative value?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619695 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
audiogal101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Three machines, K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete a certain task in 24 minutes. How long does it take Machine K, working alone at its constant rate, to complete the task?

Say k, m, and p are the numbers of minutes machines K, M, and P take, respectively, to complete the task. Then we have that \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{24}\).

(1) Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes --> \(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{36}\), thus \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{36}=\frac{1}{24}\) --> we can find the value of \(k\). Sufficient.

(2) Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes --> \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{48}\). The value of k cannot be determined from the data we have. Not sufficient.

I approached this pbm a little differently. Pls. Explain where I am going wrong...is it OK to reason this way?

1/Rk, 1/Rm, and 1/Rp are the numbers of minutes machines K, M, and P take to complete the task alone. Each must be greater than the time needed for three machines to complete a certain task together (24 minutes), thus 1/Rk +1/Rm+1/Rp = 24 is not right. The same for 1/Rm + 1/Rp = 36.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
audiogal101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

1/Rk, 1/Rm, and 1/Rp are the numbers of minutes machines K, M, and P take to complete the task alone. Each must be greater than the time needed for three machines to complete a certain task together (24 minutes), thus 1/Rk +1/Rm+1/Rp = 24 is not right. The same for 1/Rm + 1/Rp = 36.

Hope it's clear.

Got it. So would it be correct to say that 1/ (Rk+Rm+Rp) = 24? (since the denominator has combined rate now)?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6285 [2]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Walkabout wrote:

(1) Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes.
(2) Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes.

We are given that machines K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete a certain task in 24 minutes. If we consider the entire task to be equal to 1, and the time in minutes for machines K, M, and P to complete the task to be k, m, and p, respectively, then the rates of machines K, M, and P are:

1/k = rate of machine K to complete the task

1/m = rate of machine M to complete the task

1/p = rate of machine P to complete the task

Since it takes machines K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently, 24 minutes, the combined rate of machines K, M, and P is 1 task per 24 minutes. That is:

1/k + 1/m + 1/p = 1/24

We need to determine how long it takes machine K to complete the task, or in other words, the value of k. Since 1/k + 1/m + 1/p = 1/24, the rate of machine K is:

1/k = 1/24 - 1/m - 1/p

1/k = 1/24 - (1/m + 1/p)

Thus, if we can determine the value of (1/m + 1/p), we can determine the value of 1/k and hence the value of k.

Statement One Alone:

Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes.

From statement one we know:

1/m + 1/p = 1/36

Thus, the rate for machine K to complete the task is 1/24 - 1/36 = 3/72 - 2/72 = 1/72, and therefore, the time for machine K to complete the task is 72 minutes.

Statement one alone is sufficient to answer the question. We can eliminate answer choices B, C, and E.

Statement Two Alone:

Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes.

From statement two we know:

1/k + 1/p = 1/48

Since we don’t know the value of p, this is not enough information to determine the value of k.

Statement two alone is not sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

At first glance it was (D) for me as both statement looks identical. Bunuel, why we are not able to answer the question with Statement 2.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619695 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
QZ wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

At first glance it was (D) for me as both statement looks identical. Bunuel, why we are not able to answer the question with Statement 2.

Good question.

We are given \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{24}\). and want to find the value of k.

(2) says that \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{p}=\frac{1}{48}\). If we substitute this above, we'll get: \(\frac{1}{m}+\frac{1}{48}=\frac{1}{24}\) (linear equation with one unknown m). From this we can find that m = 48 but still no way of finding k.

In (1) on the other hand we are also getting a linear equation with one unknown, but that unknown there is k itself: \(\frac{1}{k}+\frac{1}{36}=\frac{1}{24}\).

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3972 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Walkabout wrote:

(1) Machines M and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 36 minutes.
(2) Machines K and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete the task in 48 minutes.

Given: Three machines, K, M, and P, working simultaneously and independently at their respective constant rates, can complete a certain task in 24 minutes.

Asked: How long does it take Machine K, working alone at its constant rate, to complete the task?

1/K + 1/M + 1/P = 1/24

1/M + 1/P = 1/36
1/K = 1/24 -1/36 = 1/72
K = 72 mins
SUFFICIENT

1/K + 1/P = 1/48
Value of K can not be found out
NOT SUFFICIENT

IMO A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92977 posts