Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [4]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Tips for MBA Admission Interviews [#permalink]
Aringo wrote:
Thanks Arpan!
You're right, these interview questions are generic questions for MBA interviews. The interviewer may also ask some specific questions regarding your specific background or field of expertise, but it is more likely to happen if it is connected to your career goals, and if the interviewer himself has similar background.

As for the choice between on-campus and off-campus interviews, some MBA programs require on-campus interviews, but most of them provide candidates with other options as well, such as off-campus interview with an alumnus, phone/Skype interviews etc. Obviously, if you are having a phone interview, any tips regarding your appearance are less relevant and you should focus on the content.

Thanks for the info Aringo!

What really puzzles me, is that fact that the questions involve a lot of generic data mostly dealing with the personal life of the candidate. The questions since belong to the personal and professional life of the candidate, can be rehearsed and imitated. I was always under the impression that the personal aspect of the interview would be minimal and the objective part i.e. probably a brief idea about the business knowledge of things, would actually be tested.

Its almost as if the results are decided, and the interview would just append or reinforce the Board's choice. Is my assumption true? Does the Profile and essays constitute the majority of the admission process then? Score in them and you coast in your interviews?! :)

Please let me know your thoughts on this! Also, if you find time, I was wondering you could please go through one of my other posts regarding recommendation letters! The post is : Recommendation Letters from Peers. Would certainly love to hear your opinion over this!

Regards,
Arpan
Send PM
Expert Reply
arpanpatnaik wrote:
Aringo wrote:
Thanks Arpan!
You're right, these interview questions are generic questions for MBA interviews. The interviewer may also ask some specific questions regarding your specific background or field of expertise, but it is more likely to happen if it is connected to your career goals, and if the interviewer himself has similar background.

As for the choice between on-campus and off-campus interviews, some MBA programs require on-campus interviews, but most of them provide candidates with other options as well, such as off-campus interview with an alumnus, phone/Skype interviews etc. Obviously, if you are having a phone interview, any tips regarding your appearance are less relevant and you should focus on the content.

Thanks for the info Aringo!

What really puzzles me, is that fact that the questions involve a lot of generic data mostly dealing with the personal life of the candidate. The questions since belong to the personal and professional life of the candidate, can be rehearsed and imitated. I was always under the impression that the personal aspect of the interview would be minimal and the objective part i.e. probably a brief idea about the business knowledge of things, would actually be tested.

Its almost as if the results are decided, and the interview would just append or reinforce the Board's choice. Is my assumption true? Does the Profile and essays constitute the majority of the admission process then? Score in them and you coast in your interviews?! :)

Please let me know your thoughts on this! Also, if you find time, I was wondering you could please go through one of my other posts regarding recommendation letters! The post is : Recommendation Letters from Peers. Would certainly love to hear your opinion over this!

Regards,
Arpan

Hi, Arpan
The interview process does vary from school to school and interviewer to interviewer. I think the process is used for several reasons. It confirms that the person on paper indeed matches the person in real life; as well, if there are several candidates with similar profiles, this can help them to decide which one to accept over the others.

Regarding your question about recommendations, you first ask if someone can be accepted without recommendations. I have never heard of such a case, nor worked with any client who did not deliver the requested number of recommendations. If anything, we recommend that candidates submit extra recommendations, when they are allowed, to provide as many varied perspectives on the person's career and abilities as possible. In terms of whom to choose, this must be reviewed case by case. While higher levels of management are impressive, they are usually only preferred over the direct manager if the person can be specific and detailed about the candidate, and be super enthusiastic. The recommender should know you and your work deeply, so someone high up who doesn't really know you may not work in your favor. So in your case, especially since the senior managers are not enthusiastic about providing such recommendations, I would go with your direct manager, if he/she will be supportive and enthusiastic about the process.

Good luck!

Joy

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aringo wrote:

Hi, Arpan
The interview process does vary from school to school and interviewer to interviewer. I think the process is used for several reasons. It confirms that the person on paper indeed matches the person in real life; as well, if there are several candidates with similar profiles, this can help them to decide which one to accept over the others.

Regarding your question about recommendations, you first ask if someone can be accepted without recommendations. I have never heard of such a case, nor worked with any client who did not deliver the requested number of recommendations. If anything, we recommend that candidates submit extra recommendations, when they are allowed, to provide as many varied perspectives on the person's career and abilities as possible. In terms of whom to choose, this must be reviewed case by case. While higher levels of management are impressive, they are usually only preferred over the direct manager if the person can be specific and detailed about the candidate, and be super enthusiastic. The recommender should know you and your work deeply, so someone high up who doesn't really know you may not work in your favor. So in your case, especially since the senior managers are not enthusiastic about providing such recommendations, I would go with your direct manager, if he/she will be supportive and enthusiastic about the process.

Good luck!

Joy

Free, detailed MBA chances calculator
Admission tips and scholarship info per school
Plan your application content (free online tool)
Get an initial assessment

Thank you for the post Joy! The above confirms a majority of my assumptions.

For applicants like me, who have no necessary experience in the application process, such tedious applications present a difficult task. A lot of the app procedures have been made clear, but yet I feel I lack the strategy of effectively presenting my profile. I was hoping if you could help me in this regard, so that I can make my application competitive in compariosion to my counterparts. Even though the odds are steep, the journey needs to be continued. I do plan to conquer all odds and score a good school this year. I would be extremely greatful if you could help me out in building my profile for the top-15 schools and possibly help me land one :)

Regards,
Arpan
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Some really cool stuffs Aringo...Thank you!
+1 from me.

P.S: really great discussions going on to this thread.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you! thought we should bump this topic as we get closer to the interviews season...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
Hi Arpan,

Saw your post on the forum . If you are looking for B-School specific admissions input you can try and contact the Mentmo team(www.mentomo.com). Its started by ex mackinsey guys , who arrange a one on one mentoring sessions with the current and ex students of top colleges for free.

Its best to hear about the process from horse's mouth, someone who has been through the process.

Hope this is helpful !

Lav
GMAT Club Bot