Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32937 [18]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [5]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [3]
Given Kudos: 253
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The term biomimicry surfaces frequently in scientific circles to desc [#permalink]
official explanation for question 1 is available....
OA: b why not option A?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32937 [0]
Send PM
The term biomimicry surfaces frequently in scientific circles to desc [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GAngstA wrote:
official explanation for question 1 is available....
OA: b why not option A?

I am agree there could some problem with the posted answer and i think the answer should be A. The source (a PDF) from which i have taken this passage might have faulty answers. So let's wait until someone can verify the OA.

PS: I have changed the OA to A for now.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The term biomimicry surfaces frequently in scientific circles to desc [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer take:
1. A 2. E 3. D

I guess the answer options marked correct as OA needs to be re-verified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Personally,the Q1 asks "in animal world",so A is not relevant.
Then,To escape perceived threats and to help ensure species survival, some animals rely on their ability to adopt or mimic the appearance of another species and thus trick their predators into thinking that they are something else.
this sentence indicates that biomimicry is a common method for some animals to survive and escape threats.
So I pick B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
i have question, how do increase my efficiency in rc of 700-level questions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Need help with Q2, please. I picked 'E'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
RakshithTN wrote:

Option E says : discuss a recent strategy for technological innovation that is highly similar to a strategy employed by some animal species.
But the passage does not discuss the strategy for technological innovation at all
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AnkithaSrinivas wrote:
RakshithTN wrote:

Option E says : discuss a recent strategy for technological innovation that is highly similar to a strategy employed by some animal species.
But the passage does not discuss the strategy for technological innovation at all

IMO The second paragraph elaborates the claims made in the first paragraph. It merely states the different instances where animals use bio-mimicry to their advantage. However, nowhere it implies that the examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
The term biomimicry surfaces frequently in scientific circles to desc [#permalink]
Kudos
RakshithTN wrote:
AnkithaSrinivas wrote:
RakshithTN wrote:

IMO The second paragraph elaborates the claims made in the first paragraph. It merely states the different instances where animals use bio-mimicry to their advantage. However, nowhere it implies that the examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.

I agree with you , it does not imply examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.[/quote]

thats why the option C says describe natural designs that[highlight] might be used[/highlight] as the basis of technological innovation.

At the end we have to choose the best out of 5 .. i was down to C and E .. but could not find anything that helped me select option E. and C was not extreme in language
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[/quote]IMO The second paragraph elaborates the claims made in the first paragraph. It merely states the different instances where animals use bio-mimicry to their advantage. However, nowhere it implies that the examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.[/quote]

I agree with you , it does not imply examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.[/quote]

thats why the option C says describe natural designs that[highlight] might be used[/highlight] as the basis of technological innovation.

At the end we have to choose the best out of 5 .. i was down to C and E .. but could not find anything that helped me select option E. and C was not extreme in language[/quote]

But, should that be the main purpose of the passage. That looks very weak.

The 'strategy' IMO is mimicking an animal to your advantage (other animals- for their survival; and for humans, it leads to technological innovation)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
RakshithTN wrote:
IMO The second paragraph elaborates the claims made in the first paragraph. It merely states the different instances where animals use bio-mimicry to their advantage. However, nowhere it implies that the examples cited could be used as the basis of technological innovation.[/quote]

At the end we have to choose the best out of 5 .. i was down to C and E .. but could not find anything that helped me select option E. and C was not extreme in language[/quote]

But, should that be the main purpose of the passage. That looks very weak.

The 'strategy' IMO is mimicking an animal to your advantage (other animals- for their survival; and for humans, it leads to technological innovation)
[/quote]

2. The main purpose of the passage is to

A. describe an animal behavior mechanism aimed at self-defense.
B. rebut those who claim that biomimicry is a human invention.
C. describe natural designs that might be used as the basis of technological innovation.
D. show that designs based on the natural world tend to be superior to more traditional designs.
E. discuss a recent strategy for technological innovation that is highly similar to a strategy employed by some animal species.

Where in the passage is recent strategy for technological innovation discussed?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32937 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GAngstA wrote:
i have question, how do increase my efficiency in rc of 700-level questions

Here are some of the important links to the RC posts, i hope they help you in some way.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 02904.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic301219.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic300886.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic343474.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic354000.html

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Sajjad1994 could you post the OAE concerning questions 1,2, and 3. Thank you in advance for your help, your reply will be much appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts