Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 14:37
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (02:09) correct 25% (01:03) wrong based on 185 sessions
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 63
Page: 141
Difficulty:

Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle- or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle- and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle- or lower-level managers.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 14:42
i BELIEVE IT IS E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 14:46
(A) can be a conclusion but not assumption. (D) is already stated hence cannot be an assumption. (B) and (C) is irrelevant (E) it has to be.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 18:40
E.

Top managers make more intuitive decisions.
So, intuition is more effective

Assumption: Top managers make more effective decisions.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2006, 18:58
one more E folks. We can say intuitive decision making superior, only when top managers are doing better job at decision making.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 13:07
I am for E.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 19:33
E 2
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 19:51
Straight E.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2006, 22:08
One more E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2006, 02:23
Straight from OG. This one is E, for the above reasons
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning. The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle-and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers

Conclusion: intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning
Premise : top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers
Premise:decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making.

I want to know about the consistency of the argument given above.
and any good method to find the assumptions as i am not able to think about assumptions taken by author by own so i generally read the options after reading stimulus and stem which some times confuses me.

Pls tell me any good book so that i can learn to make assumptions.

I read Power Score CR bible for solving CR questions.

Thanks in Advance

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

3 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [3] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Consistency of the argument [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
The best way to think about assumptions are as a missing link between what's presented. Think of it as a broken link in a chain of equations if you're good at Quant.

I've broken down the premise and the conclusion for you. The conclusion is also highlighted. An evidence is hard, indisputable fact. And the conclusion is arguable and is an expression of opinion.

Conclusion: Intuition is more effective than careful, methodical reasoning.
Premise: Top managers used intuition significantly more than middle and low level managers.

What's the bridge? If you think about it logically, they are connecting the effectiveness in decision making to the hierarchy of being a top manager. Or in other words, one possible assumption is that effectiveness has something to do with being a top manager. Now if you look at the answer choices.

GMATD11 wrote:
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that[highlight]intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning[/highlight]. The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions. Out of Scope and Extreme Language. We don't care about this.
(B) Top managers have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions. This SEEMS like it could be a right answer. But go back to your conclusion. Does this really prove anything about why this might lead us to believe this process is more effective? No. Incorrect
(C) The decisions made by middle-and lower-level managers can be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning. Again, this seems like it's relevant but if you think about the crux of this answer choice, it doesn't prove anything.
(D) Top managers use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions. This is not an assumption; this is already stated in the passage as a premise.
(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers This was exactly what we were looking for from our prephrase and hence is the right answer

Conclusion: intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning
Premise : top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers
Premise:decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making.

I want to know about the consistency of the argument given above.
and any good method to find the assumptions as i am not able to think about assumptions taken by author by own so i generally read the options after reading stimulus and stem which some times confuses me.

Pls tell me any good book so that i can learn to make assumptions.

I read Power Score CR bible for solving CR questions.

Thanks in Advance

I hope this helps. Powerscore CR is an excellent resource for CR and I don't think you need anything else, really. If you are looking for a concise form of that, you can check out the link in my signature. But I think the thing with assumption questions is approaching the question looking for what is being said, what the missing part is and what would make sense there.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 20

Re: Consistency of the argument [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey GMATD11,

I love assumption questions, so thanks for bringing this up. One technique that I think is particularly helpful in these questions is what we call the Assumption Negation Technique. In it, you take the opposite of each answer choice (negating either the primary verb in the sentence, or any particular/universal modifiers that surround that verb...like All--->Not All and Some--->None). Because the correct answer is something on which the argument DEPENDS, the correct answer, when negated, will invalidate the argument.

So for this example:

(A) Methodical, step-by-step reasoning is NOT inappropriate for making many real-life management decisions.
(B) Top managers DO NOT have the ability to use either intuitive reasoning or methodical, step-by-step reasoning in making decisions.
(C) The decisions made by middle-and lower-level managers can NOT be made as easily by using methodical reasoning as by using intuitive reasoning.
(D) Top managers DO NOT use intuitive reasoning in making the majority of their decisions.
(E) Top managers are NOT more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers

If you go back to your premises/conclusion, we're trying to say that:

Because top managers use more intuitive reasoning than methodical reasoning, it's a more effective way to make decisions. Let's look at the negations to see which impact that conclusion:

Choice E exposes that gap between the premise and the conclusion - if E were not true, as our negation shows, then it would show that the people who use intuitive reasoning more often are no more effective - and maybe even LESS effective - than others, so we have no basis for drawing the conclusion. E is shown to be necessary because without it the argument is completely invalid.

Even if you don't go to the trouble of negating all of the answer choices, the thought process is still helpful - if an assumption is REQUIRED, we should ask "what if it weren't true?" to then consider whether we need it or not. Without the correct answer, the argument doesn't hold true.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 22:58
Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned step-by-step has been considered preferable to intuitive decision-making. However, a recent study found that top managers used intuition significantly more than did most middle-or lower-level managers. This confirms the alternative view that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning. The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

The author states that intuition is actually more effective than careful, methodical reasoning simply because Top Managers use it more than middle or low-level manager. If you are skeptical, you ought to ask: Top Managers are not necessarily better decision makers than those other managers. So, what sayest thou? Haha! That's the assumption.

(A) there is no claim for any method or approach being inappropriate... Out...
(B) if this is the assumption that top use a possible combo of intuitive and the other approach, then why claim that intuition is better.. hence, this is not the assumption
(C) whether it is rendered easier with one approach over the other... is irrelevant to which is effective... out...
(D) we still need to find out what is with top managers that the author concludes that their approach is more effective... how often they use it is irrelevant...

(E) Top managers are more effective at decision-making than middle-or lower-level managers

If top managers are worse decision makers (just to exaggerate) then the conclusion is not valid. hence, E needs to be assumed

Impossible is nothing to God.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 16:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Traditionally, decision-making by managers that is reasoned   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2014, 16:26